✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No one knows anything about this.

When did she die (if she did)? Where did this take place (if it did)?

That's all. Discuss.

After the crucifixion Mary was handed over to the Apostle John to care for her. John eventually ended up at Ephesus. Mary likely ended up there as well, and that is the place she likely died.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
After the crucifixion Mary was handed over to the Apostle John to care for her. John eventually ended up at Ephesus. Mary likely ended up there as well, and that is the place she likely died.

Understood. But it does seem to be a little too loose regarding the logic.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Understood. But it does seem to be a little too loose regarding the logic.

I once read a story someone wrote giving their explanation of why John was exiled to Patmos. As they had it, John was at Ephesus during one of the persecutions and Mary was there with him. The Romans had heard that this guy was hanging around with a woman who had given birth to a god. Superstitious as they were. they did not want to execute John for fear of incurring the wrath of the woman or the god she had given birth to, so instead of executing John they exiled him to Patmos. Take that for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,199,986.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

There is a lack of references for most of this. How do I, as a Protestant, know it is true and not things written centuries after the fact?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,027,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is an interesting read my friend:

"We have known for some time that there were widespread “Transitus Stories” that date from the sixth century that teach Mary’s glorious Assumption." I have no problem with this. I have a problem that they started in the sixth century.

"If the pope had genuinely condemned the teaching of the Assumption, great saints and defenders of orthodoxy such as St. Gregory and later St. John Damascene would not have taught it." Based on what, exactly?

"Further, we would have found other writers condemning this teaching as it became more and more popular throughout the world." That is to assume the church cannot err. I do not believe that.

"what some believe to be a fourth-century homily on the prophet Simeon and the Blessed Virgin Mary by Timothy, a priest of Jerusalem, which asserts Mary is “immortal to the present time through him who had his abode in her and who assumed and raised her above the higher regions.”" What some believe is not persuasive in the least.

"Indeed, the Church even to this day has not decided definitively the matter of whether Mary died or not, though at the level of the Ordinary Magisterium it does teach that Mary died" Which I am sure with enough time, the Catholic Church will in fact have a dogma for that as well ;)

"In fact, it appears they were teaching Mary never died at all. This would be in keeping with John of Thessalonica, Timothy of Jerusalem, and others who taught this among Christians. However, these women were taking Mary and the Assumption to the extreme by worshiping her." Do you have any idea what this looks like? It looks like Catholics want to say that if the assumption of Mary wasn't true then there would be people condemning it. But when someone (Epiphanius) does condemn it, they, what appears to me, try and rewrite history.

"He will elsewhere clarify the fact that he is not certain, and no one is, at least not definitively so, about whether or not she died. But he never says the same about the Assumption itself." This seems like an argument from silence.

In conclusion, the stories of Mary's assumption do not begin until the sixth century. That is perhaps four centuries removed from the event with no conclusive evidence that Mary was, as in, a fact, assumed into heaven. So why did the Pope make this an Ex-Cathedra dogma? It is not based on the evidence, but there was a different motive for it. That is beyond problematic if you ask me.

But Catholics and Orthodox folks can believe what they want. I'm not here to make them Protestant. I just hope you can see how this issue alone prevents me from being Catholic or Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,027,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"We have known for some time that there were widespread “Transitus Stories” that date from the sixth century that teach Mary’s glorious Assumption." I have no problem with this. I have a problem that they started in the sixth century.

"If the pope had genuinely condemned the teaching of the Assumption, great saints and defenders of orthodoxy such as St. Gregory and later St. John Damascene would not have taught it." Based on what, exactly?

"Further, we would have found other writers condemning this teaching as it became more and more popular throughout the world." That is to assume the church cannot err. I do not believe that.

"what some believe to be a fourth-century homily on the prophet Simeon and the Blessed Virgin Mary by Timothy, a priest of Jerusalem, which asserts Mary is “immortal to the present time through him who had his abode in her and who assumed and raised her above the higher regions.”" What some believe is not persuasive in the least.

"Indeed, the Church even to this day has not decided definitively the matter of whether Mary died or not, though at the level of the Ordinary Magisterium it does teach that Mary died" Which I am sure with enough time, the Catholic Church will in fact have a dogma for that as well ;)

"In fact, it appears they were teaching Mary never died at all. This would be in keeping with John of Thessalonica, Timothy of Jerusalem, and others who taught this among Christians. However, these women were taking Mary and the Assumption to the extreme by worshiping her." Do you have any idea what this looks like? It looks like Catholics want to say that if the assumption of Mary wasn't true then there would be people condemning it. But when someone (Epiphanius) does condemn it, they, what appears to me, try and rewrite history.

"He will elsewhere clarify the fact that he is not certain, and no one is, at least not definitively so, about whether or not she died. But he never says the same about the Assumption itself." This seems like an argument from silence.

In conclusion, the stories of Mary's assumption do not begin until the sixth century. That is perhaps four centuries removed from the event with no conclusive evidence that Mary was, as in, a fact, assumed into heaven. So why did the Pope make this an Ex-Cathedra dogma? It is not based on the evidence, but there was a different motive for it. That is beyond problematic if you ask me.

But Catholics and Orthodox folks can believe what they want. I'm not here to make them Protestant. I just hope you can see how this issue alone prevents me from being Catholic or Orthodox.

Well, it seems like you are against Catholicism and Orthodox.

You have to remember that Catholicism is about Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition. And Faith too!

An atheist could turn round to you and dismiss your beliefs in God, in Jesus etc. He could state that its just a story from an old book!!!

Yet, you believe in God, in Jesus etc because of faith.

Same goes for a Catholic. Except that we also believe strongly in Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
An atheist could turn round to you and dismiss your beliefs in God, in Jesus etc. He could state that its just a story from an old book!!!

The life, death, and resurrection, is basically a historical fact. For example, the creed in 1 Corinthians 15 predates anything written in the NT. Scholars in relevant fields do not dispute this even if they do not believe in the resurrection. So, no. It is not the same thing at all. The scholars of the NT who do not believe in the resurrection do so because they do not want to believe. The facts do not matter to them. So it is not the same because the dogma the Catholic Church has for the Assumption of Mary is nowhere even close to the fact of the resurrection. And because the Assumption of Mary must be believed under the pain of Peter and Paul, meaning, it is not optional, I cannot be Catholic or Orthodox. If you want to believe it, you are free to do so.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,027,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The life, death, and resurrection, is basically a historical fact. For example, the creed in 1 Corinthians 15 predates anything written in the NT. Scholars in relevant fields do not dispute this even if they do not believe in the resurrection. So, no. It is not the same thing at all. The scholars of the NT who do not believe in the resurrection do so because they do not want to believe. The facts do not matter to them. So it is not the same because the dogma the Catholic Church has for the Assumption of Mary is nowhere even close to the fact of the resurrection. And because the Assumption of Mary must be believed under the pain of Peter and Paul, meaning, it is not optional, I cannot be Catholic or Orthodox. If you want to believe it, you are free to do so.

Well, it is the same in my eyes my friend.

Good luck on your journey anyway.

God bless

Oh, and another good read for you on your journey:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, it is the same in my eyes my friend.

It is not difficult to see my point when you consider that not everything stated in history has the same amount of evidence for it. The Assumption of Mary should absolutely be optional to believe for that reason.

Oh, and another good read for you on your journey:

Many of the things that the "evil Protestants" believe I do not agree with. I have no problem calling Mary the "Mother of God." But I do have a problem with the Assumption of Mary because I do not think a good case can be made for it on historical grounds. So forcing a person to believe something that does not have sufficient evidence for is wrong IMO.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,199,986.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a lack of references for most of this. How do I, as a Protestant, know it is true and not things written centuries after the fact?
There are a couple of fairly early references given, but I haven't yet had the time to look them up to confirm their existence. No guarantee that I'll be able to find then online either.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There are a couple of fairly early references given, but I haven't yet had the time to look them up to confirm their existence. No guarantee that I'll be able to find then online either.

I really appreciate the honesty. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟639,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There's evidence of the Orthodox Dormition being celebrated in the Church in Jerusalem as early as the 1st century, although it was not added to the church-wide liturgical calendar until later.

In the first century, Hieromartyr Dionysius the Areopagite wrote about Her "Falling-Asleep." In the second century, the account of the bodily ascent of the Most Holy Virgin Mary to Heaven is found in the works of Meliton, Bishop of Sardis. In the fourth century, St. Epiphanius of Cyprus refers to the "Falling Asleep" of the Mother of God. In the fifth century, St. Juvenal, Patriarch of Jerusalem, told Byzantine Empress Pulcheria: "Although there is no account of the circumstances of Her death in Holy Scripture, we know about them from the most ancient and credible Tradition."

The accounts, including those from the 1st and 2nd century, are consistent with the Ante-Nicene Fathers The Book of John Concerning the Falling Asleep of Mary. (linkage to CCEL ANF08. The Twelve Patriarchs, Excerpts and Epistles, The Clementia, Apocrypha, Decretals, Memoirs of Edessa and Syriac Documents, Remains of the First Ageby Philip Schaff)

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,027,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is not difficult to see my point when you consider that not everything stated in history has the same amount of evidence for it. The Assumption of Mary should absolutely be optional to believe for that reason.

Many of the things that the "evil Protestants" believe I do not agree with. I have no problem calling Mary the "Mother of God." But I do have a problem with the Assumption of Mary because I do not think a good case can be made for it on historical grounds. So forcing a person to believe something that does not have sufficient evidence for is wrong IMO.

Nobody is forcing you my friend. We all have free will...

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟771,805.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many of the things that the "evil Protestants" believe I do not agree with. I have no problem calling Mary the "Mother of God." But I do have a problem with the Assumption of Mary because I do not think a good case can be made for it on historical grounds. So forcing a person to believe something that does not have sufficient evidence for is wrong IMO
Do you believe everything in the Bible on "historical grounds" or do you believe it because you have faith it is true?

Have you got any historical data (apart from single Biblical references which were probably written down years and centuries in some cases) for Elijah being taken up into heaven (he was "assumed" into heaven we might note); a burning bush speaking to Moses; the Red Sea (or Reed Sea) parting at Moses command; a pot of fire passing between two halves of a slaughtered animal in front of Abraham; Samson slaughtering a thousand(?) Phillistines with a donkey's jawbone: Jonah surviving for days inside a whale or huge fish; a woman marrying seven men who all died before they could consummate the marriage; or manna falling from heaven?

No, you haven't - there's not one ounce of historical proof of any of these things, but you believe them because you believe all Scripture is "inspired" (whatever that really means - it's beyond me why God wanted to 'inspire' the endless genealogies in some of the books in the Torah, or why we claim they are inspired).

In short you believe because you've got faith. Don't try to claim you've got historical proof for it all because you don't. Archaelogists don't even have a shred of evidence for the "Exodus".

And we've got faith that Mary, "full of grace" and the "Mother of God" to boot was "assumed into heaven".

Moses was "assumed" as his body was never found. Elijah was allegedly taken up to heaven in a fiery chariot so he was "assumed".

Both of them turned up bodily at the transfiguration, and were recognised by Peter, James and John. And Mary has also been turning up regularly from time to time in bodily form eg. Fatima.

As my old Protesant pastor said "There's been a lot of them" (Marian apparitions) and in his opinion they were ".. a judgement on a divided Church".

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you believe everything in the Bible on "historical grounds" or do you believe it because you have faith it is true?

Have you got any historical data (apart from single Biblical references which were probably written down years and centuries in some cases) for Elijah being taken up into heaven (he was "assumed" into heaven we might note); a burning bush speaking to Moses; the Red Sea (or Reed Sea) parting at Moses command; a pot of fire passing between two halves of a slaughtered animal in front of Abraham; Samson slaughtering a thousand(?) Phillistines with a donkey's jawbone: Jonah surviving for days inside a whale or huge fish; a woman marrying seven men who all died before they could consummate the marriage; or manna falling from heaven?

No, you haven't - there's not one ounce of historical proof of any of these things, but you believe them because you believe all Scripture is "inspired" (whatever that really means - it's beyond me why God wanted to 'inspire' the endless genealogies in some of the books in the Torah, or why we claim they are inspired).

In short you believe because you've got faith. Don't try to claim you've got historical proof for it all because you don't. Archaelogists don't even have a shred of evidence for the "Exodus".

And we've got faith that Mary, "full of grace" and the "Mother of God" to boot was "assumed into heaven".

Moses was "assumed" as his body was never found. Elijah was allegedly taken up to heaven in a fiery chariot so he was "assumed".

Both of them turned up bodily at the transfiguration, and were recognised by Peter, James and John. And Mary has also been turning up regularly from time to time in bodily form eg. Fatima.

As my old Protesant pastor said "There's been a lot of them" (Marian apparitions) and in his opinion they were ".. a judgement on a divided Church".

Did public revelation cease? If it did, that is when we start basing things based on the historicity of things.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,027,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Did public revelation cease? If it did, that is when we start basing things based on the historicity of things.

Seems to me that Bob has shot down your argument my friend!

Upvote 0