England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am so glad to be a part of Assemblies of God Great Britain. It is great to be a part of this Christian Forum on this Pentecostal Assemblies of God sub-forum. I cannot understand why more Assemblies of God people are not part of this sub- forum. You are very welcome here as are all Pentecostal people and other Christians. God bless you!

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟787,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When I was at university back in the 1990s, I made many student friends who attended a local AoG church and frequently went to services with them, where I would sometimes play the piano!
The minister and people in the church were so friendly and welcoming and gave a lot of pastoral support and encouragement. They even invited us to their homes for fellowship and many of them, to this day, have remained very good friends.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I was at university back in the 1990s, I made many student friends who attended a local AoG church and frequently went to services with them, where I would sometimes play the piano!
The minister and people in the church were so friendly and welcoming and gave a lot of pastoral support and encouragement. They even invited us to their homes for fellowship and many of them, to this day, have remained very good friends.
You are a real blessing to us on this sub-forum 'Anthony'. Thankyou for being a part of us!

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟787,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When I went to university, I found out that I had never been baptised when I was younger.

I was discussing this with the people in the AoG church and they were very happy to arrange a service of baptism for me! The idea of being baptised by immersion appealed to me and, on the day, plenty of friends and family attended to see me getting very wet! It was the first time I spoke publicly amount my faith to a large group of people. Giving personal testimony is something that has always been strongly encouraged in the AoG - we used to hear testimonies given by regular churchgoers and visitors all the time.

I have moved around the country a fair bit and settled back in the CofE (where I grew up in my Christian faith) but I have very fond memories of my baptism and the care and support I got from the people at the church.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I went to university, I found out that I had never been baptised when I was younger.

I was discussing this with the people in the AoG church and they were very happy to arrange a service of baptism for me! The idea of being baptised by immersion appealed to me and, on the day, plenty of friends and family attended to see me getting very wet! It was the first time I spoke publicly amount my faith to a large group of people. Giving personal testimony is something that has always been strongly encouraged in the AoG - we used to hear testimonies given by regular churchgoers and visitors all the time.

I have moved around the country a fair bit and settled back in the CofE (where I grew up in my Christian faith) but I have very fond memories of my baptism and the care and support I got from the people at the church.
Thankyou Anthony. You have always been respectful to the beliefs of this sub-forum and we appreciate your fellowship!

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am so glad to be a part of Assemblies of God Great Britain. It is great to be a part of this Christian Forum on this Pentecostal Assemblies of God sub-forum. I cannot understand why more Assemblies of God people are not part of this sub- forum. You are very welcome here as are all Pentecostal people and other Christians. God bless you!

In America, I think there is a huge age divide in the Assemblies of God. I saw it first hand when attending a large Assembly of God, in Bakersfield California in 1990-1991 basically before and during the start of the first Gulf war in Iraq. I was a grad student at the time, but having problems in my classes especially the statistical methods class.

I went to an big Assembly that was 2 blocks, maybe 1/4 Kilometer to where I lived. It was real close, having to push the button to use the crosswalk at two intersections was the biggest hinderance to me getting to church.

They had lots of different ministeries there. They had a young singles / college age one I attended. Really large elaborate childrens church, with puppets etc. One of the notable things they had was this big retirement community that was next door to the church, so all the rest home people didn't have to drive or be driven in a church bus they could just walk or wheel chair their way there.

But I noticed a big age difference in the afteglows that made me think the younger generation was loosing it's Pentecostal nature of general fervency. I was struggling with a grad school program in psychology, and stayed after church for prayer quite often at least once a month, maybe twice a month when things were really bad. Sometimes I would stay behind just to pray to get more of the Holy Spirit etc.

But quite often I was the only young Gen X person there. That was typical. In my college age class I got the feeling that the some of the people my age or a little older were either embarrassed of a little indifferent to their Pentecostal roots. They basically came across like "Evangelical Free" folks (modern Evangelicals that worship like AOG, but no tongues or other Pentecostal stuff). And some of the younger grand kids would make jokes about their grand ma (basically being old time Pentecost) etc.

The Church was very unusual because you could see 4 generations of people attending. (Many Protestant churches in the states can skew either young or old predominantly).

But it did make me wonder about the denomination etc. I talked to other people I knew that said they saw similar things in their churches. But it was kind of interesting, I usually hang out with my old age group, but found myself hanging out with the old times, outside of Sunday school.

And the strange thing it is not like Pentecostalism or the Charismatic movement is dieing out in the states far from it, it is one of the areas of Christianity growing...

Anyway that is my experience in the 90s. Sadly, I left that church to try to go to a "Faith" aka "Word of Faith" Foursquare Church to help me with my life difficulties of the time. Probably one of the biggest mistakes of my Life. But also very educational! :)

Take Care!

• Prayers
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In America, I think there is a huge age divide in the Assemblies of God. I saw it first hand when attending a large Assembly of God, in Bakersfield California in 1990-1991 basically before and during the start of the first Gulf war in Iraq. I was a grad student at the time, but having problems in my classes especially the statistical methods class.

I went to an big Assembly that was 2 blocks, maybe 1/4 Kilometer to where I lived. It was real close, having to push the button to use the crosswalk at two intersections was the biggest hinderance to me getting to church.

They had lots of different ministeries there. They had a young singles / college age one I attended. Really large elaborate childrens church, with puppets etc. One of the notable things they had was this big retirement community that was next door to the church, so all the rest home people didn't have to drive or be driven in a church bus they could just walk or wheel chair their way there.

But I noticed a big age difference in the afteglows that made me think the younger generation was loosing it's Pentecostal nature of general fervency. I was struggling with a grad school program in psychology, and stayed after church for prayer quite often at least once a month, maybe twice a month when things were really bad. Sometimes I would stay behind just to pray to get more of the Holy Spirit etc.

But quite often I was the only young Gen X person there. That was typical. In my college age class I got the feeling that the some of the people my age or a little older were either embarrassed of a little indifferent to their Pentecostal roots. They basically came across like "Evangelical Free" folks (modern Evangelicals that worship like AOG, but no tongues or other Pentecostal stuff). And some of the younger grand kids would make jokes about their grand ma (basically being old time Pentecost) etc.

The Church was very unusual because you could see 4 generations of people attending. (Many Protestant churches in the states can skew either young or old predominantly).

But it did make me wonder about the denomination etc. I talked to other people I knew that said they saw similar things in their churches. But it was kind of interesting, I usually hang out with my old age group, but found myself hanging out with the old times, outside of Sunday school.

And the strange thing it is not like Pentecostalism or the Charismatic movement is dieing out in the states far from it, it is one of the areas of Christianity growing...

Anyway that is my experience in the 90s. Sadly, I left that church to try to go to a "Faith" aka "Word of Faith" Foursquare Church to help me with my life difficulties of the time. Probably one of the biggest mistakes of my Life. But also very educational! :)

Take Care!
. Thankyou for sharing with us,'pavel'

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,171,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We lived next door to a small AOG church for several years, and attended 2 or 3 times a week, and I ended up playing guitar and leading songs occasionally, since there was an open invitation for anyone to just come forward at will and lead a song.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We lived next door to a small AOG church for several years, and attended 2 or 3 times a week, and I ended up playing guitar and leading songs occasionally, since there was an open invitation for anyone to just come forward at will and lead a song.
Pleased to meet you,'Halbhh'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.