Are there any Female Saints from the Americas?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
and a lot of the abbesses at the Greek monasteries are incredibly holy too

Including the mother of Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, memory eternal. She was the hegumena of a Greek Orthodox convent that ran a hospital for the poor in Athens. She was taken to the UK somewhat involuntarily when the hospital ran out of money and she tried to pawn her royal jewels to sustain it, and the pawnbroker called the police, suspecting theft.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,481,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Including the mother of Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, memory eternal. She was the hegumena of a Greek Orthodox convent that ran a hospital for the poor in Athens. She was taken to the UK somewhat involuntarily when the hospital ran out of money and she tried to pawn her royal jewels to sustain it, and the pawnbroker called the police, suspecting theft.
indeed

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I don’t think St Isaac ended his life outside of the Orthodox Church, especially since he taught things like the mutual exchange of properties.

Agreed.

I would also note there are Assyrian theologians who believed in communicatio idiomatum, because remember, their Christology was reformed by Mar Babai the Great along Chalcedonian lines. The Assyrian Church has, in my personal opinion, the aroma of Orthodoxy. I think it was basically the ancient church of the Persian Empire.

Interestingly, unlike with the Oriental Orthodox, it becomes very difficult to argue that there was a schism in 433; the relations between it and the Eastern Orthodox were at times exceedingly close and at other times separated only by geography.

I would argue that the schism with the Assyrian Church actually likely happened around the time when the Assyrian Church, devastated by the genocides initiated against it by Tamerlane, that caused it to become a church of only Assyrians after the Indian portion of it was forcibly appropriated by Rome in the 16th century, was without monasteries and forgot its own canon laws, and began to have a hereditary Patriarchy, where each Catholicos would appoint his nephew as his successor, which violates their ancient canon prohibiting a bishop from designating his own successor. The Assyrians went through a period where they were so devastated they forgot who they were, and in the Europe they were forgotten about, or occasionally written off as Nestorians, particularly by Protestant missionaries who regarded the Assyrian Church (and the Oriental Orthodox, and us, for that matter) as not worthy of existing except as a mission field for conversion. It was actually the Anglo-Catholics who helped them monetarily and by donating vestments and other church supplies starting in the late 19th century who I think set their church on the road to recovery.

I would further argue that we must ensure their recovery includes reunification with us. So many Assyrians were martyred by the Muslim warlord Tamerlane that I feel we owe it to them.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,481,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would be ecstatic if the Assyrians and non-Chalcedonians returned to the Church. I have way more hope for that than for union with Rome.

my point was that I don’t think St Isaac ended his life in the Church of the East, as attested to by St Paisios of Mt Athos.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟464,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Matushka Olga has obviously been mentioned and discussed above.

But today's Anchorage Daily News in Alaska provides some local details and additional biographical info - if interested. I see that she was born in 1916. That would have been two years before the beginning of the Spanish Flu Pandemic that notoriously decimated all the native villages. No doubt that was the epidemic that took so many of her siblings. Hard times.

Orthodox Church makes Kwethluk woman its first North American female and Yup’ik saint​

EX66G4YQWFEUHCJSJS63NTI3DA.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,481,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but MATUSHKA OLGA was recently confirmed as a Saint. If I recall correctly, she is is the first Orthodox Saint from the Americas. An Alaskan wife of a Priest
technically Sts Peter the Aleut, Jacob of Alaska, Sebastian Dabovich, and Barnabas of Hvosno were all Americans before her.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
technically Sts Peter the Aleut, Jacob of Alaska, Sebastian Dabovich, and Barnabas of Hvosno were all Americans before her.

Indeed. Saints Matushka Olga, Peter, Jacob, Sebastian and Barnabas, pray for us!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums