Are any of you ... Trekkies?

U

UnamSanctam

Yeah, because that's by far the worst Trek had ever done.

Much worse than turning the Enterprise into a giant space temple made of stone (TNG Masks), people turning into giant salamanders (VOY Threshold), or Sisko's girlfriend turning out to be a figment of someone else's imagination (Second Sight, DS9), or an alien who gets off on watching people write stories (DS9, The Muse.)

I believe so, without the sarcasm, yes.
Simply because none of those (which WERE brainfarts, and basically shouldn't have been done) directly contradicted the already established timeline, or were completely out of synch with common sense the way handing over the pride of Starfleet to raw cadets does.
That's also one of the reasons why I found the beginning of the storyline in STO to unbelievably lame:
"You're just an Ensign.....all the other officers are gone....so instead of assigning new ones, we'll give YOU command. There you go."

I like how they've re-done that, though.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am starting to get into the Shatner Star Trek (Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!!!) movies. Growing up I recall my parents and brother watching old Star Trek re-runs. The only reason that I stayed in the room was because I had a crush on Captain Kirk :o :doh:I most definately am NOT a Trekkie, but do have some appreciation for the Shatner films.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe so, without the sarcasm, yes.
Simply because none of those (which WERE brainfarts, and basically shouldn't have been done) directly contradicted the already established timeline, or were completely out of synch with common sense the way handing over the pride of Starfleet to raw cadets does.
That's also one of the reasons why I found the beginning of the storyline in STO to unbelievably lame:
"You're just an Ensign.....all the other officers are gone....so instead of assigning new ones, we'll give YOU command. There you go."

I like how they've re-done that, though.

Did you miss the whole "create a new timeline" part of the movie? The only part of Trek that the new movies shouldn't contradict is Enterprise.

(BTW, if you discount the new movie because of contradictions within the canon, do you also discount the beginning of Generations because it shows Scotty being present when Kirk was presumably killed on the Enterprise B, despite the fact that when he was rescued by the Enterprise D some 70 years later, he thought Kirk had come to rescue him?)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The new Star Trek movie is blasphemy. I boycotted it, pure and simple....

This is coming from a Trekkie who has met much of the original cast and some of the Next Generation and who has autographs and lifetime of Trekdom!

Original and Next Gen, but the new millenium reboot nonsense? bahhhh

Upvote 0

hopeful321

May 3, 2012
Maryland, USA
✟7,856.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand you feelings. I grew up with th original Star Trek in the 1960s. Watched the first moon landing with my parents. Saw the movies and the Next Generation in college and with my kids. The newest Star Trek reboot can never replace the ones you and I like. However, there is a new time stream happening and we have to adapt but not forget where we came from. Let me know your favorite episodes. Keep on Star Trekin'

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

This is coming from a Trekkie who has met much of the original cast and some of the Next Generation and who has autographs and lifetime of Trekdom!

Once upon a time, people were saying that about TNG...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
U

UnamSanctam

QFT

I rather liked DS9, though. Voyager never became a favorite, simply because I couldn't stand Janeway. Enterprise.....was ok, but I like to see Trek going FORWARDS, not backwards.

Upvote 0

hopeful321

May 3, 2012
Maryland, USA
✟7,856.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unamsactam,

Going foward from Voyager or DS9what is the next steps? Galexy Starships, not just warp 10, but beyond? I think we might run into everything from silicon based lifeforms traveling in star ships to traveling back in time to the hippie generation. what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

Unamsactam,

Going foward from Voyager or DS9what is the next steps? Galexy Starships, not just warp 10, but beyond? I think we might run into everything from silicon based lifeforms traveling in star ships to traveling back in time to the hippie generation. what are your thoughts?

Well, I think we saw what happens when you hit warp 10 in that ridiculous episode where Paris and Janeway turned into reptiles....so while it has been shown to work, I'm also quite sure that Starfleet would see what happened, and go first
*eww* (can't find the meme)

and then

*nothing to do here*

Apart from that, it would depend on how long we jump ahead. If we jump aroun 100 years (as it was from the original series to TNG, if memory serves), all kinds of things could happen. A heavy Federation involvement in the rebuilding of Cardassia could see Cardassians, GRADUALLY, realize that civilian authorities can also handle things as well as the military, and see the Detapa Council and democracy strengthened. If THAT happens, a 100 year timeframe from the end of DS9 is by no means an unreasonable amount of time for Cardassia to take its seats on the Federation Council.
THAT could be interesting. And how the Romulans and Klingons would react to this would also be incredibly interesting.

Galaxy-hopping? Not unless another wormhole is discovered. The distances between galaxies are just so extreme that galaxy-travel is plain out of the question, even for ships travelling at 9.99 times the speed of light.
Also - we HAVE met silicon-based lifeforms in starships. Tholians? :)

Upvote 0

hopeful321

May 3, 2012
Maryland, USA
✟7,856.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's sat 100 years after DS9 as you suggest. The polical intrig of Romulan vs Cardassian with Klingons, Vulcans, Earthlings viaing to see to thier own interests plus keeping trying to keep the Federation intact could make for quite a series. Add in some of the peoples that Voyager met and we could create a Star Trek Beyond. I forgot about the Thollans, Good memory. I understand the worm hole dilema, but in the name of looking for the final frontier, do you think they could uses one of the other dimensions of the 10, 11, 12 to travel through?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but TNG wasn't a reboot. It wasn't attempting to re-do a work of art. The Next Generation was seeking a new group of characters with new strengths, challenges, adventures, and possibilities. This reboot nonsense is just re-treading and trying to explain and expound upon the work of a group of amazing people who made a timelessly kick-butt show that DOESN'T NEED a remake. I'm not against new ideas, just opposed to trying to reboot that which doesn't need it...ever.

I love the new Marvel movies. Big fan. Why? they're finally making stuff that was never around. The Hulk tv show was never true to the comics, terribly untrue to the comics actually, so redoing the Hulk makes sense. Captain America never really had a show. Iron Man never had one. Hawkeye and B.W. never had a show. So that's cool.

If, in 20 years, they try to remake the Avengers or Lord of the Rings, I'll be just as mad! I'm a grouch with this stuff!

Once upon a time, people were saying that about TNG...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In no particular order....

The Empath
The Enterprise Incident
A Taste of Armageddon
Spectre of the Gun
The Savage Curtain
Who Mourns for Adonais?
The Cloudminders
Corbomite Maneuver
Squire of Gothos
Devil in the Dark
Operation: Annihilate!
Amok Time
Wolf in the Fold

Most hilarious belly-laugh episodes: Spock's Brain, Way to Eden

I understand you feelings. I grew up with th original Star Trek in the 1960s. Watched the first moon landing with my parents. Saw the movies and the Next Generation in college and with my kids. The newest Star Trek reboot can never replace the ones you and I like. However, there is a new time stream happening and we have to adapt but not forget where we came from. Let me know your favorite episodes. Keep on Star Trekin'

Upvote 0

SeventhThunder

Antidenominational Protestant
Jul 1, 2012
Parts Unknown
Visit site
✟15,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I grew up with the original TV series Star Trek from the 1960s. And I watched the Next Generation when it came out. I accept no other version. I reject all the movies! Only the TV shows count for me!

I'd like to hang JJ Abrams out a window by his ankles for a whole day from a 40 story building for doing that new "reboot" and messing with the "Trek" timeline. (I'd pull him back in after a few birds "salute" him and he hung out long enough to require *ahem!* a new set of trousers! lol!)

For that matter, I now fully boycott Hollywood. I'm tired of all the movie remakes, comic book movies, etc. Now they're doing board games like Battleship, Monopoly and Candy Land! (No kidding!) And a World of Warcraft Movie! I'm done!

I'm only going to see the Narnia movies as they come out if they do, the next Tron movie if they do one, and the Hobbit movies. :)

Other than that, I'm collecting classics from now on. They're so busy doing remakes I may as well get all the originals. lol! :D

^_^

I'm tired of movies pushing gay this and gay that, and God's name in vain every other word, etc. I haven't watched TV since 2008 and I don't miss it at all. Hate the sin, love the sinner, but I want no part of Hollywood's agenda anymore.

This is all my opinion. People can like what they want, this is what I choose to do.

But yeah! I only like the original 1960s Star Trek TV shows and TNG. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

busdriver72

Oct 16, 2011
Good ol' Texas!
✟7,889.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Now, now SeventhThunder...where's your Star Trek spirit? ;)
Change and unpredictability is part of Star Treks on-going theme and appeal.
My kids went and saw the newest version of it and told me about it. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But I heard the makers of the movie say it was intended for this to be a new, different Star Trek...but with elements that would be familiar. So I watched the movie with that attitude in mind and found I was able to enjoy it. It is a much more fast paced style with more movement and action. Sometimes you have to look at what the movie makers intent was, and then watch it from that angle. They meant no disrespect for the classic ST or STNG.

But in general, I agree with you about Hollywood.

Upvote 0

SeventhThunder

Antidenominational Protestant
Jul 1, 2012
Parts Unknown
Visit site
✟15,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now, now SeventhThunder...where's your Star Trek spirit? ;)
Change and unpredictability is part of Star Treks on-going theme and appeal.
My kids went and saw the newest version of it and told me about it. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But I heard the makers of the movie say it was intended for this to be a new, different Star Trek...but with elements that would be familiar. So I watched the movie with that attitude in mind and found I was able to enjoy it. It is a much more fast paced style with more movement and action. Sometimes you have to look at what the movie makers intent was, and then watch it from that angle. They meant no disrespect for the classic ST or STNG.

But in general, I agree with you about Hollywood.

I saw the new Trek movie. That's why I didn't like it and at that point decided to divorce myself from everything that both Rick Berman and JJ Abrams have done with Trek - as they have basically, in my mind, destroyed and dismantled everything Roddenberry created.

The new movie eliminates Vulcan, Spock's mother gets killed, etc. when none of those things happened in the original Trek. So it changes the whole timeline. And I'm a stickler for storyline. That means nothing from the original series or Next Gen can happen. Which means either you take the new movie and toss out everything else, or you do what I have done and simply toss out the new movie. To me I have to "accept" the new movie then I am required to toss out all the old Trek - the timeline has been changed. So to me it was easier to toss out the new and stay true to the original. After all, the original series is what defined Star Trek! :)

I often feel like I am one of the few who still likes the old stuff and doesn't want it destroyed with a reboot. But that's me.

Besides, I saw some thing on the next movie, they're going to include a gay character and I'm like "here we go again" with that stuff!

Upvote 0