• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety is affecting my mobility

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have a great fear of falling because I have fallen a lot throughout my life due to unstable knees. I have had some serious injuries because of it. I am particularly afraid of slipping because my knees can't take the stress of a slip and will dislocate. I'm often afraid of getting hurt very badly.

Recently it has gotten worse. Sometimes when I'm walking I have this sudden thought or sensation that I might be slipping or falling and my body will react as if I am before I even have to time assess the situation or think about it. When this has happened I have to make a conscious effort to force myself to continue walking. It is very difficult to do. I take very small steps, and my legs and knees are often stiff and tense.

This is something that I have not been able to control, and I don't know how to make it stop. I got an extra appointment with my doctor to talk about this and also the possibility that I might have to stop taking my medication due to insurance reasons and cost.

Please pray that I am able to over come this and be able to return to walking like normal all the time.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
When I spoke with the doctor about it, she did not believe it was due to my anxiety but thinks there is a physical cause like dizziness or blood pressure. I was unable to explain it in a way to help her understand what I was saying. She wants me to get a blood pressure monitor to keep with me and check my blood pressure each time it happens.

There have been some moments when it has not been as bad, and others where it has been very difficult to force myself to walk because of fear of falling.

• Friendly
Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I spoke with the doctor about it, she did not believe it was due to my anxiety but thinks there is a physical cause like dizziness or blood pressure. I was unable to explain it in a way to help her understand what I was saying. She wants me to get a blood pressure monitor to keep with me and check my blood pressure each time it happens.

There have been some moments when it has not been as bad, and others where it has been very difficult to force myself to walk because of fear of falling.

I would actually be relieved if it was something like blood pressure, because something like that is much easier to directly address than anxiety, and once you know what is causing the problem, it might help it feel less mysterious and more manageable.

If it truly is anxiety, one thing I would recommend is meditation. Clearing your mind of all but one focal point is a good way to clear away anxiety. A favorite focus of mine is focusing on how God is literally right next to me, holding me when I need it. Repeating a mantra such as "God is with me, God is holding me" or "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" is also a good way to reinforce positive truths in your mind. I struggle with anxiety, but God is helping me, so I hope this helps you as well.

Upvote 0