• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety and Intrusive Paranoid Thoughts

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have anxiety, dissociation disorder, and unwanted paranoid thoughts. I take medication.

For about a month or so I have had an excessive amounts of the intrusive paranoid thoughts, a lack of emotional comfort, and this sense of impending doom where I feel like something really bad is going to happen. I also frequently feel like something is wrong when nothing is.

It has kept me from resting well, I'm very distracted, and I'm in fight or flight mode a lot when there is no need to be. I keep thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong. Sometimes my imagination go wild with it and I can't control it.

I'm really just wanting some peace and rest. Does anyone have some tips and could you pray for me?

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,870.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really just wanting some peace and rest. Does anyone have some tips

Wake up every day in the same time so that your body gets some regular rhythm for hormones (very important thing to do, start with it. No "weekend exceptions"). It may help to get up early (like in 5 a.m.). Try what time suits you best and then keep it.

Go every other day to nature for a long walk, get a pet (cat, dog).

Watch comedies and similar light genre, no horrors, thrillers, sci-fi, too much action and similar heavier movies. And of course do not watch paranoic youtube videos from other people.

Get a deeper sleep. Get between 7-8 hours of sleep.

Move, excercise, do some sport.

Find some community of friendly people you can hang out with, maybe a local church or some hobby group.

Reduce salt and suger intake, eat healthy, do not drink sweetened drinks.

Learn to calm yourself down in your thoughts. It will take time to find out what works in your
thoughts to stop or to limit the anxiety attack.

----

A change will come after several weeks of doing so, not immediatelly. Medication should help you immediatelly so that it gives you time for a life style change which is a longerm solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟430,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sing Christian songs, listen to worship music at those times. Take thoughts captive as in 2cor10:3-5. Go to church regularly. Read your Bible at those times. Pray to God for peace, pray for others peace and needs. Get mind off self.

I pray that you would order this persons mind and bring them peace and justification so they have no guilt. I pray he/she walks with you lord and abides in you and your love and statutes. I pray they can do some of these things regularly to maintenance their feelings and keep it up and find the ability to live a good life that way. Please help and bless in Jesus name.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have had an excessive amounts of the intrusive paranoid thoughts,

Intrusive thought are dealt with by acknowledging them and moving on,
Example, a thought occurs, " you are bound for hell! " you think or say, " Yes that is right. " you move on to do something else.

Intrusive thoughts are not to be debated, argued with, ignored etc just acknowledge them and move on.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you everyone for your responses and prayers.

Things have improved, but I still battle this.

My doctor decided to switch one of my medications. It seems to have helped for a little while, but the intrusive thoughts, paranoia, and sense that something real bad is wrong has come back only not as intense and it doesn't last as long. I don't know if it is related to the medication or not. If it continues I'm going to call and get another appointment.

The doctor recommended taking something over the counter for sleep, but sleeping medication is one of the things that I'm paranoid about, even the thought of taking melotonin scares me. So I haven't tried it yet.

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have anxiety, dissociation disorder, and unwanted paranoid thoughts. I take medication.

For about a month or so I have had an excessive amounts of the intrusive paranoid thoughts, a lack of emotional comfort, and this sense of impending doom where I feel like something really bad is going to happen. I also frequently feel like something is wrong when nothing is.

It has kept me from resting well, I'm very distracted, and I'm in fight or flight mode a lot when there is no need to be. I keep thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong. Sometimes my imagination go wild with it and I can't control it.

I'm really just wanting some peace and rest. Does anyone have some tips and could you pray for me?

I feel like just accepting that you don't feel well can make a positive difference. It may not immediately make things better but I realized the more I would fight against how I felt the worst I would feel. Asking God for peace of mind and the love you need in the moment helps.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟148,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone for your responses and prayers.

Things have improved, but I still battle this.

My doctor decided to switch one of my medications. It seems to have helped for a little while, but the intrusive thoughts, paranoia, and sense that something real bad is wrong has come back only not as intense and it doesn't last as long. I don't know if it is related to the medication or not. If it continues I'm going to call and get another appointment.

The doctor recommended taking something over the counter for sleep, but sleeping medication is one of the things that I'm paranoid about, even the thought of taking melotonin scares me. So I haven't tried it yet.
I have intrusive thoughts. What meds do you take?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums