Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"A Brief Introduction to Progressive Christianity"

Here's the short version:

"Progressive Christians are perfectly comfortable holding faith and science in harmony. For example, they believe God created the world but did so through the process of evolution. Rather than being in conflict, they argue that faith and science can peacefully coexist.

Progressive Christians are more interested in right living than right beliefs. For example, Jesus’s “Great Commandment” (to love God and neighbor) and his “Golden Rule” (to treat others the way you want them to treat you) are more important to them than the fine details of human-made doctrines and creeds.

Although progressive Christians take the Bible seriously, they don’t always take it literally."

Do you see yourself in this?

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

"Progressive Christians are perfectly comfortable holding faith and science in harmony. For example, they believe God created the world but did so through the process of evolution. Rather than being in conflict, they argue that faith and science can peacefully coexist.

Progressive Christians are more interested in right living than right beliefs. For example, Jesus’s “Great Commandment” (to love God and neighbor) and his “Golden Rule” (to treat others the way you want them to treat you) are more important to them than the fine details of human-made doctrines and creeds.

Although progressive Christians take the Bible seriously, they don’t always take it literally."

I most certainly do!

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So instead of grounding Christianity in who Christ is, they ground it in their particular interpretation of the message of Christ. That makes sense, given how progressives are free to believe in anything about Jesus, from his non-existence to his not being God incarnate.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
That makes sense, given how progressives are free to believe in anything about Jesus, from his non-existence to his not being God incarnate.

Yet, I believe in his existence and that He is God incarnate.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Would you consider, as a brother in Christ, someone who denied he existed or that he was God incarnate?

I would, just because he is struggling with something, doesn't mean that he will always be that way. People sometimes have doubts. Did Jesus give up on Peter when Peter no longer focused on him when walking on water?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would, just because he is struggling with something, doesn't mean that he will always be that way. People sometimes have doubts. Did Jesus give up on Peter when Peter no longer focused on him when walking on water?

Acknowledging someone as separate from you doesn't necessarily mean giving up on them. It only means you acknowledge the wall of separation that divides between two people. In case of the Atheist Christian, they might indeed be struggling and might even be sympathetic to Christianity to a great deal. It is not however uncharitable to refuse to accept their claim to be a Christian. If they are a Christian, then Christianity is not a belief in Jesus and who he is, but something else. It is some kind of ethos or way of being. Christianity is then not what the Nicene Creed says it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Sorn
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,009,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That makes sense, given how progressives are free to believe in anything about Jesus, from his non-existence to his not being God incarnate.

Except that was a presumption you made, just to give yourself an excuse to go on the attack in this thread and suggest that progressives like Fantine and Isilwen aren't "True Christians" (tm*).

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except that was a presumption you made, just to give yourself an excuse to go on the attack in this thread and suggest that progressives like Fantine and Isilwen aren't "True Christians" (tm*).

To my knowledge they both affirm the Nicene Creed and that Christ truly was the son of God, who died and rose from the dead. That makes them Christians. My opinion isn't directed towards them but progressive Christianity as a whole. There is no foundation in who Christ is, rather what is emphasized in the progressive Christian movement is an ethos or the teaching of 'love' they interpret in the New Testament.

If there are progressive Christians out there who are willing to make the hard commitment to a confession in Christ and who he is being essential to one's identity as a Christian can you point them out to me? I just don't see it.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are many ways to envision the Creed. "Credo" by Hans Küng puts a beautiful perspective on the Creed.

After all, everyone filters their beliefs through their perceptions and experiences. None of us looks at a picture in exactly the same way.

That is part of the beautiful diversity of humankind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are many ways to envision the Creed. "Credo" by Hans Küng puts a beautiful perspective on the Creed.

After all, everyone filters their beliefs through their perceptions and experiences. None of us looks at a picture in exactly the same way.

That is part of the beautiful diversity of humankind.
Does one of those perspectives allow for the explicit denial that Christ rose from the dead?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The first paragraph, certainly. That said, I have been labelled a Liberal Christian, and I suppose I am classically liberal in the manner of the early Federalists, but no one has ever called me Progressive.

That is, with one exception: someone on this forum who accused me of being Progressive (as if that is inherently a bad thing) because I am an enthusiast of Origen and the early Church Fathers of Alexandria, such as St. Clement of Alexandria, St. Athanasius the Apostolic, St. Anthony the Great and St. Cyril the Great, among others, as well as other Patristic figures who use Alexandrian exegesis like Psuedo-Dionysius.

They drew a peculiar and unsupportable connection between Alexandrian exegesis and the Minority Text or Alexandrian Text Type (probably a misnomer, because aside from the Codex Alexandrinus, the Gospels of which are of the Byzantine text type, which was found in Alexandria, the Codex Sinaiticus was found in a locale traditionally considered part of the Church of Jerusalem and before the rebuilding of the Hagiopolis under St. Helena, the Church of Caesarea, and the provenance of the Codex Vaticanus is uncertain; I think Vaticanus and Sinaiticus are likely related to the fifty Bibles produced by the Church of Caesarea under Eusebius as part of the order for a hundred Bibles for Rome and Constantinople, while Alexandrinus is more likely related to the fifty Bibles produced by Alexandria as part of the same order, under St. Alexander and his protodeacon and later successor St. Athanasius). I myself am not a huge fan of the Alexandrian text type; I think the Western text type of the Vetus Latina and the Vetus Syra is much more interesting, and otherwise tend to prefer the familiar Byzantine text and the closely related Syriac Peshitta, with the additional books translated by St. Philoxenus of Mabbug.

I am sure we can agree that while I might be liberal, I am probably not progressive, and certainly not for the reasons proposed, and I do wish people would avoid using mainstream political identifications as insults. I mean, it is surely valid to criticize someone for being a totalitarian or a member or supporter of a political movement that supports or has committed genocides, but otherwise, more charity and love is needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums