Victoria
✟18,616.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Although the effect itself is real enough (that is, there are hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of people around the globe who recall certain items or events being a particular way instead of how they are in actuality), the explanations for this that have been offered thus far are, in my opinion, just not very helpful or convincing.
The two main explanations are:
1. Confabulation. Millions of people are just misremembering, and they are doing so conveniently in the exact same way. When it comes to the spelling of a brand-name in particular, this seems plausible, because people will often spell words or names in a manner that seems intuitive. For example, that American brand 'J. C. Penney' looks as though it should be 'J. C. Penny', because 'Penny' is a girl's name that we are all familiar with. Everyone remembers the 'Monopoly Man' having a monocle, because he's wearing a tuxedo with a top hat, and carrying a cane, and men who used to dress this way quite often had monocles as well.
However, it doesn't account for historical changes. Who here remembers something called the Black Tom explosion? You know, that act of sabotage by German agents during World War 1 back in 1916, before the USA even entered the war, and which resulted in damage to the Statue of Liberty's outstretched arm, which in turn meant that the 'flame' platform has been closed to the public ever since? Why wasn't this attack mentioned even once back in 2001 after the Twin Towers and Pentagon were attacked? I remember the comparison being made to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, but no one in the media compared it to Black Tom. Why not?
2. 'Sliding' between Alternative Realities. The 1990's TV show 'Sliders' was entertaining, but it could only ever be, in my opinion anyway, pure fiction. First of all, we have no evidence whatsoever for the actual existence of parallel universes. None, nothing, zero, zilch. Secondly, even if we had such evidence because alternative realities really do exist, how would it be possible for people to visit them? What kind of mechanism would be involved in transporting them?
Anyway, I was just wondering if there were other theories out there to account for what's going on. I'm not happy with the two I mention above, because both have serious flaws so far as being a satisfactory explanation goes.

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟609,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although the effect itself is real enough (that is, there are hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of people around the globe who recall certain items or events being a particular way instead of how they are in actuality), the explanations for this that have been offered thus far are, in my opinion, just not very helpful or convincing.
1. Confabulation. Millions of people are just misremembering, and they are doing so conveniently in the exact same way. When it comes to the spelling of a brand-name in particular, this seems plausible, because people will often spell words or names in a manner that seems intuitive. For example, that American brand 'J. C. Penney' looks as though it should be 'J. C. Penny', because 'Penny' is a girl's name that we are all familiar with. Everyone remembers the 'Monopoly Man' having a monocle, because he's wearing a tuxedo with a top hat, and carrying a cane, and men who used to dress this way quite often had monocles as well.
However, it doesn't account for historical changes. Who here remembers something called the Black Tom explosion? You know, that act of sabotage by German agents during World War 1 back in 1916, before the USA even entered the war, and which resulted in damage to the Statue of Liberty's outstretched arm, which in turn meant that the 'flame' platform has been closed to the public ever since? Why wasn't this attack mentioned even once back in 2001 after the Twin Towers and Pentagon were attacked? I remember the comparison being made to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, but no one in the media compared it to Black Tom. Why not?
2. 'Sliding' between Alternative Realities. The 1990's TV show 'Sliders' was entertaining, but it could only ever be, in my opinion anyway, pure fiction. First of all, we have no evidence whatsoever for the actual existence of parallel universes. None, nothing, zero, zilch. Secondly, even if we had such evidence because alternative realities really do exist, how would it be possible for people to visit them? What kind of mechanism would be involved in transporting them?
Anyway, I was just wondering if there were other theories out there to account for what's going on. I'm not happy with the two I mention above, because both have serious flaws so far as being a satisfactory explanation goes.

In my realm, the Black Tom explosion never occured.

• Agree
Reactions: Yaaten
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,626.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't think you can discount what you call 'confabulation' (not sure that's quite right) just because it doesn't account for all examples. The Black Tom explosion literally made a large impact(!) at the time, but is only known to have killed four people. Shortly after, the tragedies of World War I, and subsequently, World War II (including Pearl Harbour) put it out of people's and the media's attention. I don't think it's particularly surprising that later generations of correspondents, raised on those horrors, weren't aware of it or didn't think of it 85 years later.

We've discussed this previously in the forum - I found some links that give credible explanations for it:

The Mandela Effect - how your mind is playing tricks on you
Rational Wiki - The Mandela Effect
Healthline - Mandela Effect
Mandela Effect - Recognising False Memories

We also have mountains of empirical data on the unreliability of memory and the ways in which it's unreliable:

Why I’m Skeptical of Eyewitnesses
How Much of Your Memory is True?
Memory Distortion & Invention
False Autobiographical Memories
Seven Sins of Memory
The Memory Doctor
How accurate are Memories of 9/11?
Memory is Unreliable - and it could be worse
List of Memory Biases

Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.