Advice from Godly parents

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
&nbsp;not yet an adult, not yet a parent, what adivce do you have for one who has doubts on whether they can be good parents or even be a parent at all. By parent I mean a father, not just someone who squirted out some kids. Excuse use of that, but I see many people who have kids but are not real parents in the way God calls us to be.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Job:

The Number One Rule is to love your children's mother. Never speak against her in the presence of the child, of course, but you also respect her, support her, help her, care for her, show affection towards her, all in ways the child can see and hear.

Number Two Rule in my book is to attend church as a family. Admittedly, when children are small, you will spend more time taking care of the kids than actually hearing and participating in the services. That's okay. You are building the respect for church in the children. One day, they will ask you about "what's going on" and they will be little sponges, soaking up everything you have to say. As they get older, you can tell them what you FEEL, and they will watch YOU participate.

And then one day you will see them participating beside you, and you will be filled with awe.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
My advice would be to wait until the Lord brings someone into your life to be your life mate and to let HIM do the choosing ... then if you have children, look to Him for direction and how to raise those children.

I should never have married my ex-husband, but I insisted on being with him and asked God to bless our marriage - even though I knew we weren't meant to be together. I did not wait for the Lord to choose someone for me. Our marriage was literally hell on earth and it was a relief when he left our family for another woman (painful, but a relief).

Being a parent is more than just bearing children - you are right about that. There's a lifetime commitment involved ... and if you let God choose your mate, then they will be raised in a godly, loving home by two parents in submission to God's will for them - rather than a family filled with strife, confusion, anger, etc etc

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
Oh, and as for whether or not you should even be a parent ... seek God's will for your life ... it may be that HE wants you to be single for awhile so that He can use you for His glory in some ministry (not that couples or even parents can't be used in ministry - but it's so much easier to do when you don't have other "family" responsibilities getting in the way of God's will and schedule) .... if you are called to be single trust the Lord to know what's best for you ... it may be then that you will be a good surrogate parent to other people's children.

If God calls you to marriage, then it's almost certain (not always) that He will want you to be a parent.

I'm rambling and my thoughts are not coherent cause I've got a bit of a cold today. :/

Upvote 0