Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was suggested that we start a thread offering catechism subjects. I thought this was a great idea, so I'll go first and offer this one:

This is from The Faith of The Saints:
By Bishop (Saint) Nikolai Velimirovich

On The Beatitudes, (or How To Be a Christian 101)

"Our Lord Jesus Christ went up into a mountain and taught His disciples saying:
'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.'

The poor in spirit are those who consider themselves as nothing compared to the tremendous majesty of God, and crave only for the riches of God and His kingdom.

'Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted'.

Those who mourn in this passing world are like the Son of God who never laughed but often mourned because of men's ignorance, sins and suffering.

'Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth'.

The meek are humane and kind and long-suffering. Because of His meekness Christ has been called the Lamb of God. The arrogant and angry are the opposite of the meek. They grasp quickly but also loose quickly. In the long run, the meek gain. The Christians were persecuted by the heathens and almost exterminated, yet today they have dominion over the earth.

'Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled'.

The people who hunger and thirst after righteousness are those who painfully deplore all the injustices in the world. They shall see the victory of the risen Christ over all the powers of evil and their hearts shall be filled with satisfaction and joy. They shall also see the triumph of the persecuted Church and they shall rejoice.

'Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.'

The human heart is the real eye for seeing spiritual realities: in the first place is God. By long excercise and by God's grace, the heart may be purified from all sinful impurities as the Lives of the Saints testify. Evil thoughts and desires make a heart impure and blind.

'Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the children of God.'

Christ was called the Prince of Peace. He gave peace to His disciples. One gives what one has. If we have peace inside our soul, we can give peace to others. Peace of mind, of heart and of will- a threefold peace in unity-is a real, divine peace in the soul. An unbalanced soul however, cannot have peace.

'Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.'

To be persecuted for righteousness sake means to be like Christ and His apostles. The Eastern Orthodox Church produced numberless martyrs for righteousness' sake, who peopled Christ's kingdom in heaven. St. Peter writes, "It is better, if the will of God be so , that ye suffer for well doing than for evil doing." 1 Peter 3:17.

'Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake.'

Christ speaks here more extensively of the sufferings of His followers for His sake. They will be reviled, slandered and persecuted. But they ought to endure all that with unshaken faith and hope in Him who shall come in due time as the final Victor and Righteous Judge. He will then separate forever the righteous from the unrighteous.

"Rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is your reward in Heaven!"

In weeping, rejoice; in suffering, rejoice; in dying, rejoice. For the best in mankind, who travelled the same thorny path as you, are now awaiting you in the world beyond, where Christ regins and where there are no sighs, no sadness, and no sufferings, but life and joy eternal."

Reactions: Michael G

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aha! I found my notes from class!

The above was the word for word section in our catechism, the Faith of the Saints by Bishop (Saint) Nikolai Velimirovic.

Fr. James elucidated the above for us, by stating:

"The Beatitudes are not just a bunch of feel good platitudes to hand out when other people are going through hard times. They are the steps to holiness. The first, "to be poor in spirit" means to be humble. Humility is the first rung on our ladder. We must be humble before God can grant us the grace to understand anything. This is Step 1.

Once we have acheived a truly humble spirit, we are then given the grace to move on to Step 2:
Humility is what allows us to be capable of true repentence. We must pray daily for the tears of repentence to come....we must pray until they DO come!
When we are truly repentent for ourselves, then we are capable of truly seeing the world in its truly fallen state and we must mourn for others....

Step 3:
To be meek is to be gentle, and to be free of the sin of pride. We must learn to love our enemies especially the "un Christian " ones...

Step 4:
We must hunger for the righteousness of the Lord. Not the self righteousness of the Pharisees, but the righteousness of David and Solomon who sought God's face in all things...and who sought repentence

Step 5: The "pure in heart" is also translated as "merciful"
Our Lord is merciful....we should strive to show others His mercy through our love and acceptance of them...the world needs the Saviour...we might be the only Jesus they ever see

Step 6 (goes with Step 5)
We must learn to see others as He sees them....weak and forgivable. We must try very hard to be so non-offensive that we are not offended by the fallen nature of man. He sees them as more than precious gems...so should we.

Step 7:The truly repentent and loving heart will seek God's peace in all things. We do not seek quarrels or arguments.

Step 8:
We must not despair in martyrdom!!! God has his Purpose in us!!! Step 8
Isaiah 55:

"For as the (
27) rain and the snow come down from heaven,
And do not return there without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing (
28) seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
So will My (
29) word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will (
30) not return to Me empty,
Without (
31) accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it

Step 9 and 10: These are the culmination of a saintly life. The Saints have all reached the top of this ladder!

Matt 5: 11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

We must rejoice! Christians are HOPEFUL!!! The last line of the Creed says: "...we look for the Age to come!"
Only Hopeful people "look for" anything, much less the Age to Come!!! Steps 9 and 10.
Isaiah 55:12
"For you will go out with (
32) joy
And be led forth with (
33) peace;
The (
34) mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you,
And all the (
35) trees of the field will clap their hands.

So as there are 10 Commandments, there are also 10 Steps to the Christian life....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟767,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This seems like a long dormant thread that could be very helpful to inquirers of the Orthodox faith alongside everyone who responds to the thoughtful inquiries of sincere Christians and other seekers. It seems helpful that links to online catechisms be provided (I do not recall seeing any in reference & if I have missed forgive). Here is a link to a catechism from the Greek Archdiocese in Canada: http://www.gocanada.org/catechism/catech.htm Another from the Russian Orthodox Church in Europe http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx and yet another from St. Tikhon's Seminary in the USA http://www.stots.edu/these_truths_we_hold.html The grand jewel from 7th c St John of Damascus: An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith (this is very long) http://www.orthodox.net/fathers/exactidx.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.