A Survey Regarding Bitcoin

What is your understanding of Bitcoins?

• I own Bitcoins and understand them well

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • I know of Bitcoins but have no technical knowledge of how they work

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I know of Bitcoins, how they work but do not own any.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • What is a Bitcoin?

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi everyone,

I am curious how many of you have heard of bitcoin and how many of you actually have Bitcoins? For those of you that do understand and own Bitcoin, have you ever considered tithing with it?

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know of them, I know how they work (I even set up my own account), but have never used them. There was an article on the BBC news feed about an Australian guy who said he was the guy who started it and he could prove it. He piked out and said he couldn't take the pressure, many still feel he is the person who started bitcoin. There are now more articles about bitcoin and whether it will continue to be viable.

Would I tithe with them? No, I don't tithe and there is nothing in the NT to suggest we need to tithe. Tithing was specifically for the Hebrews so they could look after the Levites who were not given land in Israel to make their own living from. A better question would be would I give them to the church to help in its work? Probably not, why? because it is to volatile a currency. All you need is 1 "bank" to crash (its computer system) and all the bitcoins are lost. They are not recoverable in any way. At least with cash it is still there.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟101,337.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I am curious how many of you have heard of bitcoin and how many of you actually have Bitcoins? For those of you that do understand and own Bitcoin, have you ever considered tithing with it?

Seems to me that if you want to give to a church, that you would make it easier on them to just convert the Bitcoins you wanted to give them to cash and handing them the cash. It's a bit of an imposition on church folks to force them to learn some new currency system. Don't make them work for it like that. Just give it to them as regular cash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

n0bodee

Oct 29, 2015
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I haven't considered tithing with it, but I don't earn money with it.

Most people that earn revenue through bitcoin convert to other currencies, since bitcoin value can vary so holding on to bitcoins could mean you lose money. Tithes could be paid when converting to conventional currencies.

Those that are holding on to bitcoins are often investors in the currency, so if you want to tithe it's probably best to do it after you convert to a more conventional fiat currency.

Other people that have a bitcoin wallet(s) have the currency ready to spend on the few places that accept it, but that's nothing to pay tithes on.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For those of you learning about Bitcoin, let me suggest that you won't really understand Bitcoin until you understand the pros and cons (and risk/lack of risk) of backing up a currency with tangible valuables (formerly gold in the United States). It is a well-studied subject. Remember to be good stewards of what God has given you. :)

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

No. I believe in free will offerings, as the Lord leads. And no, I don't use them there, and have no intention of it either.

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think 10% is the bare minimum, and then there are offerings. When you look at the 5 loaves and two fish that the little boy gave to the Lord Jesus, his tiny offering was 100% (or 10% + 90%)...lol.
Your interpretation of what a tithe was/is is incorrect, it was and remains 10%, nothing more nothing less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mograce2U

Mar 22, 2006
Los Angeles
✟15,648.00
Faith
Christian
You should tithe - give and it shall be given to you.
I am assuming you are referencing Luke 6:38. But you might want to back up a bit to v20 and follow through to v49 to get the full context of the Lords words. Sure He mentions lending without expectation of return, but mostly is about blessing others as we have been blessed. There is very little there that can be applied to the requirement to tithe.

Other verses in Luke (11:42, 18:12) are chastizing the Pharisees for relying on their tithes as a measure of their holiness. Which is pretty much what the modern church has done with this so-called tradition to try and guarantee itself a steady income.

Why trust in the generosity of its members as they are led by the Lord if you can guilt them into giving? It only goes to show their own lack of faith - in MHO. Which is pretty much why the Lord denounced most of the Jewish traditions even though they were required before He came. Funny how the church wants to keep some of them alive anyway...

Robin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I consider bitcoins to be an illegal currency and the designers should be prosecuted for forgery.

No currency should exist without a political state backing it up. (unless it is something with no monetary value like Monopoly money)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should I tithe? Tithing is 10% what if I give more am I breaking God's command? Understand what tithing is, what it was for, and then tell me I should be limited to 10%.
That is a different subject to bitcoins, but there is no limit on giving. The first 10% is a tithe and everything beyond that is a free will offering.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.