Minnesota
✟221,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The implications of this ruling are dire. Montgomery County Public Schools has explicitly stated that parental rights do not extend to the classroom, even if the classroom instruction violates the religious beliefs of the family. Effectively, the teacher has replaced the parent as the child’s primary educator.
We need vouchers for children so that they are not forced to attend classes with anti-Christian messages.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The implications of this ruling are dire. Montgomery County Public Schools has explicitly stated that parental rights do not extend to the classroom, even if the classroom instruction violates the religious beliefs of the family. Effectively, the teacher has replaced the parent as the child’s primary educator.
We need vouchers for children so that they are not forced to attend classes with anti-Christian messages.
It's strange to me that JUST THE ACT of having children hear some words, is SOMEHOW a such an aggregious act, that it must be called a "sledgehammer to parental rights" (and yet again, nobody talks about parental responsibility).

What if, and here me out, the child must attend the class and then the parent, in THEIR home can say "that's all a load of gobblydeegook".

• Winner
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Vouchers tend to have strings attached. What we need is parents who take their responsibility as the principal educators seriously and a community, like a parish or diocese, ready with some significant money for them to be able to afford an alternative education.

IF, big IF, this survives a test at the Supreme Court, the government schools have displaced the parents and it is time to escape the government schools. Those in Montgomery County are at that point now. And in many other government school districts. Catholics are lucky to have alternative schools in many parts of the country. Time to dust them off and make them viable and affordable again.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
From the earlier decision.

The school system’s attorneys argued that exposure to the content doesn’t violate the Constitution and that teachers don’t tell students what to believe from the books.

Instructions to educators that accompanied the curriculum suggested sample language they might use to answer students who objected to the teachings: “I understand that is what you believe, but not everyone believes that. We don’t have to understand or support a person’s identity to treat them with respect and kindness. School is a place where we learn to work together regardless of our differences.”

--

Just like we can teach about Christianity or Islam without indoctrinating students, the same is true of other topics.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We home-schooled our kids. Our kids home-school theirs and are using private schools.
Get them out until this works its way through the courts.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I
We home-schooled our kids. Our kids home-school theirs and are using private schools.
Get them out until this works its way through the courts.
Isn't it great that you have that option?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The school system’s attorneys argued that exposure to the content doesn’t violate the Constitution and that teachers don’t tell students what to believe from the books.

Instructions to educators that accompanied the curriculum suggested sample language they might use to answer students who objected to the teachings: “I understand that is what you believe, but not everyone believes that. We don’t have to understand or support a person’s identity to treat them with respect and kindness. School is a place where we learn to work together regardless of our differences.”

--

Just like we can teach about Christianity or Islam without indoctrinating students, the same is true of other topics.
That seems fair. Children are exposed to influences from TV, movies, radio, video games and more.

Children don't live in a vacuum, and blaming the schools is an overreaction.

Complaining parents should show records of other media exposure--and if the home influences are nil let them cast the first stone. (Or walk away shamefacedly.)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I

Isn't it great that you have that option?
At the time, the state was warring against homeschooling (this was in the mid-80s). We eventually had to incorporate as a church and then create a private religious school, over which the state had no control. A loophole if you will. Today, there is a compromise where homeschoolers must join an approved (non-state) homeschool organization that oversees.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At the time, the state was warring against homeschooling (this was in the mid-80s). We eventually had to incorporate as a church and then create a private religious school, over which the state had no control. A loophole if you will. Today, there is a compromise where homeschoolers must join an approved (non-state) homeschool organization that oversees.
I suspect the state was "warring" against homeschool parents who wanted to isolate their children from the outside "sinful" world and indoctrinate them with their religious beliefs rather than "readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmetic." Most home school curriculums, especially religious based ones, are severely lacking in the academic areas. There needs to be academic standards with which home school resources and organization need to comply.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

--

I believe that is, succinctly stated, the very anti-Christian message that Valletta and others are concerned with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that is, succinctly stated, the very anti-Christian message that Valletta and others are concerned with.
It's insane that that should be a controversial statement.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think that's an anti-christian message..... but I am curious if other CHRISTIAN posters think that message is anti-Christian....

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that's an anti-christian message..... but I am curious if other CHRISTIAN posters think that message is anti-Christian....
Absolutely. Here it is again:

“I understand that is what you believe, but not everyone believes that. We don’t have to understand or support a person’s identity to treat them with respect and kindness. School is a place where we learn to work together regardless of our differences.”

I believe that to be the correct stance for the public schools on all subjects which are controversial with Christians--from evolution to gay marriage. If there was such a thing as an "LGBT agenda," that's what it would be.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟925,334.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe parents have a right to limit their children from being taught information they disagree with? Where do you believe this right is enumerated?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect the state was "warring" against homeschool parents who wanted to isolate their children from the outside "sinful" world and indoctrinate them with their religious beliefs rather than "readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmetic." Most home school curriculums, especially religious based ones, are severely lacking in the academic areas. There needs to be academic standards with which home school resources and organization need to comply.
Actually...
I worked with the SC College system for the last 15 years of my career. I was a Systems Analyst and retired as a Systems Engineer. One of our roles was to collect data on incoming students and how they did in placement tests. Homeschooled students were far and away the best. They tested better than private and public school students, were more likely to finish, and were almost always at the top of their classes. Many people who know our kids and other home-schooled kids make the observation that they are indeed different. They are courteous, fair, eloquent, and all-around better-mannered. This idea that home-schooled kids are not "socialized" is kind of a joke to us. First, we refute the claim with the facts and then respond, "Yes, they are not 'socialized.' by today's "social" (sic) standards." And that is the point!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Actually...
I worked with the SC College system for the last 15 years of my career. I was a Systems Analyst and retired as a Systems Engineer. One of our roles was to collect data on incoming students and how they did in placement tests. Homeschooled students were far and away the best. They tested better than private and public school students, were more likely to finish, and were almost always at the top of their classes. Many people who know our kids and other home-schooled kids make the observation that they are indeed different. They are courteous, fair, eloquent, and all-around better-mannered. This idea that home-schooled kids are not "socialized" is kind of a joke to us. First, we refute the claim with the facts and then respond, "Yes, they are not 'socialized.' by today's "social" (sic) standards." And that is the point!
As a teacher, I have no problem with home school.
So long as the required curriculum is getting taught, I have no problem in what kind of circumstance a child learns.

I truly don't think it is intrisically BETTER, but for some students, it absolutely would be. It requires certain kind of parents to be successful. But I happen to know two TRULY outstanding homeschool moms.

If we funded students in public schools so there would be 1 teacher for 4 students, you can BET that public schools would outperform homeschoolers too.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Absolutely. Here it is again:

“I understand that is what you believe, but not everyone believes that. We don’t have to understand or support a person’s identity to treat them with respect and kindness. School is a place where we learn to work together regardless of our differences.”

I believe that to be the correct stance for the public schools on all subjects which are controversial with Christians--from evolution to gay marriage. If there was such a thing as an "LGBT agenda," that's what it would be.
I agree 100% that is how any and EVERY parent should be handled. We focus on Christians, but there are other religions and other subpopulations who this can affect too.

In fact, given the basic prosocial message of "we need to teach respect and kindness" is a pretty damning statement to ALL parents in our current culture. Why those things aren't being taught at home I'll never know (and REST ASSURED, many times, it is NOT).

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As a teacher, I have no problem with home school.
So long as the required curriculum is getting taught, I have no problem in what kind of circumstance a child learns.

I truly don't think it is intrisically BETTER, but for some students, it absolutely would be. It requires certain kind of parents to be successful. But I happen to know two TRULY outstanding homeschool moms.

If we funded students in public schools so there would be 1 teacher for 4 students, you can BET that public schools would outperform homeschoolers too.
The other factor is this: a student with parents willing and able to muster so much interest in their child's education as to undertake homeschooling is liable to do better whether he is in home school or public school.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The other factor is this: a student with parents willing and able to muster so much interest in their child's education as to undertake homeschooling is liable to do better whether he is in home school or public school.
This is another HUUUUUGE factor.

In our low income HIGH needs school, you can CLEARLY tell the parents who care (and are able to appropriately follow through) and those who "care" but can't and/or don't follow through.

My BIGGEST problem with home schools is actually, the idea that homeschoolers are missing out on certain pieces of knowledge due to bias from parents. I think that is a wildly, wildly inappropriate thing for homeschools (and any parent) to do.

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems fair. Children are exposed to influences from TV, movies, radio, video games and more.

Children don't live in a vacuum, and blaming the schools is an overreaction.

Complaining parents should show records of other media exposure--and if the home influences are nil let them cast the first stone. (Or walk away shamefacedly.)

Some people are just being naive in their efforts to control their kids. You can't keep blinders on kids forever, and even if you tried, your kids will resent it.

Upvote 0