Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Sin" is an English word used to describe the distance between the bullseye and the landing of an arrow. The concept is used to explain doing something outside of the will of God. Thus, murder, stealing, lying, etc, are sins. But I'm sure posting on a Christian forum to mock and spread disdain for Christian beliefs falls under this definition somehow.

"Inequity" is a word, but it's not found in the Bible anywhere. :doh:

Sin is NOT about doing or not doing something... at least original sin can't mean that. And if it is original sin that we must atone for... your concept of hamartia is useless.

I suggest you read this:
http://www.theopedia.com/Sin

Perhaps you will find the word inequity in The Bible as well as a better understanding of "sin". (It means injustice.)

Unfortunately what I think you will discover is that a host of ideas and concepts have been lumped together as "sin", muddying its meaning, so that when translated into Greek, and then English, it becomes even more unclear.

"There is a belief that sin derives from some archery term meaning to miss the target. This tale stems from confusion and misunderstanding of preachers giving Sunday sermons. The English word sin has no such etymology. The Greek hamartia, however, can literally mean to fall short or miss, especially in the archery context. Preachers sometimes use this Greek etymology as a sermon illustration and people confuse it with the etymology of the English word. The sermon illustration, however, is somewhat flawed. By the time of Christ the archery sense of hamartia was obsolete, so the sermon illustration is anachronistic. To Christ and his contemporaries it would simply mean a violation of God's law."
http://www.theopedia.com/Talk:Sin

As would professing a belief in something as fact....

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
See the point here? Why should the Lord bless you if you won’t humble yourself and serve him?

God IS loving and just.

Not if he isn't going to help people (intentionally ignore their suffering) because they won't grovel.

In a sense, you are playing around, because you don’t have any idea what you’re involved with, and how much trouble you’re in until it’s too late.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you wealth and fame I do not have (nor seek).

I find it rather odd that a witch would be asking a Christian how to cast out a devil.

You've been watching too many horror movies. I don't believe in devils or demons (or saviors for that matter).

Reactions: KCDAD
Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Not if he isn't going to help people (intentionally ignore their suffering) because they won't grovel.

The biggest problem here is that you think and act like you are God, bring God down to your level and expecting him to be confined by your rules, definitions and limited understanding. Yes, humility is required for anyone to know the truth. A sponge pre-filled with water cannot take on any more substance. You may deny this, but your actions and your attitude is unmistakable.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you wealth and fame I do not have (nor seek).

Don't know where you're getting at with this one. Wealth and fame was never discussed on this thread.

You've been watching too many horror movies. I don't believe in devils or demons (or saviors for that matter).

Then what's the point in this discussion? I don't watch horror movies. I see enough of that on the news every day.

Upvote 0