You Shall Not Covet - Devotional Saturday - 10 Commandments Series

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Out exploring Amish Country last week, stopped and made some friends and enjoyed their farms, which made me think about today's Devotional Saturday going over Commandment #10: You Shall Not Covet...

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im not a Baptist, as my Church Home is Messianic, however, i am familar with the Teaching of many Great Men of God.

Now it can be that some of them were a bit too deep into their Denominationalism, regarding some topics or "belief systems", but that does not exclude them from often offering something profound.

Dr Charles Stanley for example said something once that is related to "covetousness".

He said that it can be understood as this feeling or emotion or drive or all 3.

A.) When you want something so badly, that you'll do any thing to have it, own it, or get it.

When you want that new Car , and so you'll not pay your rent so that you can make a down payment on the Car.

You want that woman to the degree that you will sacrifice your own family just to be with her.

When you want that Young man so much, that you'll sacrifice your virtue just hoping that he'll become yours.

See that "I'll do anything to get it"?

That's the issue... = inside.

Covetousness, is literally "Lust gone wild".. as its Lust that has become Laser focused on one thing or one situation.

Perhaps this was the REASON that Eve became so Deceived and Adam followed suit.
They were "caught up" with "having to know" "having to find out"...

Now let me show you where all this becomes very interesting, regarding the Believer.

Do you own a lot of stuff?

How big is your Big Screen Hi Def TV.? How many do you own?
Do you own an I-Phone, or a Macbook Pro? Why did you choose that Brand? (Apple).
Do you own a lot of NIKE's. ?
Do you own more than $2000.00 USD worth of Jewelry?
Do you own a lot of watches?
Do you "collect" items? Specific Items?
Do you own more then 6 pair of Dress shoes or more then 6 pair of Athletic Shoes?
Why did you buy that BRAND of car you drive?
How many Credit Cards do you have that have a balance of over $800.00 USD?

Now, the reason this is interesting is because owning a lot of nice stuff, is not necessarily covetousness, but.. it can be.

Pay attention to why you are buying what you buy, Pay attention to the level of desire you have, regarding having to own something or acquire something...

Last edited:
Upvote 0