ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟27,206.00
Faith
Catholic
You know, to be truthful, i hadn't noticed that it was divided locally, but on a national scale, the opinions of C of E church goers are indeed split upon various elements of the C of E.

Many people view our new A of C Rowan Williams as being a bit of a threat - others adore his fresh and vibrant approach.

some have called him a radical, others have been waiting for someone like him to come along for a very long time.

you can read his enthronement sermon here : ( i hope )

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/sermons_speeches/030227.html

tell me what you think of it, if you read it.

and by the way, you are most certainly welcome!

Upvote 0

Addaperle

Fool for Christ
Jul 22, 2003
Brentwood, Essex, UK
Visit site
✟1,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
psycmajor said:
And I love those accents!!!

Which ones? We've got sooooo many! Like mi native toungue! 'Ells bells an buckets o' blood! It's great! ;)

lol... I do love my accent! When I go to Summer Camp (in Essex) most of the people are Southerners, and I either end up going VERY broad, or completely Southern... it's sooo bizare!

Clare xx
(Off to enjoy mi Yorkshire puds and good ole Parkin!)

Upvote 0
Addaperle said:
Which ones? We've got sooooo many! Like mi native toungue! 'Ells bells an buckets o' blood! It's great! ;)

lol... I do love my accent! When I go to Summer Camp (in Essex) most of the people are Southerners, and I either end up going VERY broad, or completely Southern... it's sooo bizare!

Clare xx
(Off to enjoy mi Yorkshire puds and good ole Parkin!)

Yeah! I've heard that people have different sounding accents depending on their locations in the UK. How many different kinds are there? Is there a list? :)

So tell me. When you see an American film with an American pretending to be British, can you tell that they're really NOT British?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
psycmajor said:
Yeah! I've heard that people have different sounding accents depending on their locations in the UK. How many different kinds are there? Is there a list? :)

So tell me. When you see an American film with an American pretending to be British, can you tell that they're really NOT British?

Usually. Some very talented voice actors can do it. But generally they just use Dick Van Dyke Not Quite Cockney or an exaggerated RP.

I wouldn't like to say how many accents there are - it depends on the hearer. I can tell the difference between Barnsley and Wakefield, but a southerner wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any Yorkshire or Lancashire accents.

Main groups are probably:

Scots
Welsh
Irish
North East ("Geordie" - IME Cumbrian accents and some NE Yorkshire accents are of this type)
Northern - Lancs, Yorks, East Midlands
Liverpool (Scouse - distinct from other NW accents)
West Midland - (Brummie)
East Anglian
South Western (Get off moi laaaaand!!!)
South East (incl. Cockney)
RP - not regional. Spoken mostly by ex-grammar school people and public/private school educated individuals.

Depending where you come from, you will see different subgroups. An Essex girl sounds pretty similar to a Kentish Maid to me, but I suspect someone from round there would say "rubbish - they sound completely different".

For the record, there are only three US accents I can distinguish. The one used by Homer Simpson, the one used by Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel (isn't that a southern accent?) and the one used by Bill Gates, makers of IT training videos, and Kermit the Frog. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.