Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I sort of did once. Focus on the Family had a thing for pastors, so my family went, and my sister, cousin, and I attended the program for PKs.

Which was dismal.

They didn't try to help us or build us up, rather they tried to entertain us and gave everyone kids meals from places like McDonalds (...not filling for us older kids). It was one of the worst conferences I've been to in my entire life. I went to learn, not watch clowns and go to amusement parks.

But if there was a conference to help build PKs up, I'd love to attend. But I probably wouldn't now as I'm moving out of my home to a different state and won't have to deal with the pressures of being a PK as much. I would push for my siblings to attend though :)

(and I would be willing to work at suc a conference if I had the time :))

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I'm not sure about something like, seems like there's already enough pressure to do all those things. As if the church was paying the pastor and expecting the whole family to work! I'm not interested more pressure to do more things.

However, I do go to a small PK retreat once a year and I love that. I wish they would of had more things like that years ago.

Upvote 0

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
swingnscream said:
I'm not sure about something like, seems like there's already enough pressure to do all those things. As if the church was paying the pastor and expecting the whole family to work! I'm not interested more pressure to do more things.
not more pressure
but encouragement
with a challenge
i am watching too many fellow pk's fall away all together

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't go. I don't think I need a support group for being a PK
sorry to hear that
and we can't do much more than anyone else.
most of the time a pk has more Biblical knowledge and firmer foundation in their faith, which gives a responsibility to share it
and most of the time we are just natural born leaders, not all, but many, which gives a responsibility to lead
and why not encourage each other in those things
thanks for your input though

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
sorry to hear that

most of the time a pk has more Biblical knowledge and firmer foundation in their faith, which gives a responsibility to share it
and most of the time we are just natural born leaders, not all, but many, which gives a responsibility to lead
and why not encourage each other in those things
thanks for your input though
Well I thought I'd start with the Ten commandments:
1: Do not have any Gods before me: Got it
2: Do not make any idols: Got it
3: Do not misuse the name of God: We still have awhile to go
4: Keep the sabbath holy: They do, using guns on video games
5: Honour your father and mother: Now days that in itself would be against God constidering their parents
6: Do not murder: Got it
7: Don't not commit adultery: They've got it, until they get married
8: Do not steal: Er.. Who stole my ten commandments? They don't got it.
9: Do not lie: Are you kidding me? Thou shalt not provide false witness against thy neighbor should be burned onto their skin
10: Do not covet: Don't get me started.
My class is most of my peers and they're all almost like a gang of Catholics that lust after blood at the thought that someone DOESN'T AGREE WITH THEIR RELIGION! The horrer!

I mean, Me: You know, you should lie. Them: James is harrassing me about my religion.
Me: I don't agree with things like intercessory Them: James is harassing me about my religion and saying bad tthings about Catholics, we should beat him up.
Them: Damn you! So-and-so is a *****! Go **** yourself. Me: You know what I would think about catholics if you were the only ones I knew? Them: ***! Now he's judging! He got a wiccan book from the library so as not to be ignorant! Call Saint michael the archangel to defend us in battle against this anti-christ! Call Saint Mary mother of God! We must burn this heritic!
I think you get the picture, it will take a lot more than me to save these people in my class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My class is most of my peers and they're all almost like a gang of Catholics that lust after blood at the thought that someone DOESN'T AGREE WITH THEIR RELIGION! The horrer!
I think you get the picture, it will take a lot more than me to save these people in my class.
yeah i am with you here i grew up in louisiana surrounded by catholics, it is difficult when "those" people are of the "christian" faith

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the conference was reasonably near me, I'd go. But to be honest, fellowshipping online works well, too.

IMHO, some of the seminaries should be taking a hand in ministry to PK's.

It's our childhood that gets, in some cases, taken away; it's our childhood that is at stake. They have as much responsibility to us "kids" as they do to our pastor parents.

One of these days I'm going to write some letters to some of the seminaries and tell them what I think; there needs to be a much more responsible attitude towards children of the clergy. We're not leftover furniture that doesn't matter. :mad::mad:

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure that I'd go. Growing up our denom did offer PK retreats and I went to those- I like the opportunity to get together with other Pkers and fellowship with them. What I didn't like is that the retreats seemed aimed at those who struggle with their position. I agree that those who struggle with being a pk definitely need support and encouragement, but it always made me feel left out because I couldn't relate to those struggles. I also feel uncomfortable in any situation that addresses pk's going into the ministry- growing up I have always felt that others expected me to go into the ministry simply because I was a pk.....I have never felt a calling to the pulpit. I currently work with the youth and children at church and have always enjoyed that but in no way am I called to the pulpit. Once again I feel left out and even unspiritual in those circumstances. But a retreat or conference that offers fellowship and general encouragement to pk's I think is a great idea. It would probably work best where there was a general assembly/worship times and then different workshops could be offered- workshops covering everything from those who struggle with being a pk, those who might feel called into the ministry, maybe something for those trying to live a pure lifestyle in an unpure society, etc. But something that kinda covers the board....does that make sense?
That way those attending could choose which workshop they wanted to go to and then everyone should be able to benefit from the experience.

Upvote 0

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But a retreat or conference that offers fellowship and general encouragement to pk's I think is a great idea. It would probably work best where there was a general assembly/worship times and then different workshops could be offered- workshops covering everything from those who struggle with being a pk, those who might feel called into the ministry, maybe something for those trying to live a pure lifestyle in an unpure society, etc. But something that kinda covers the board....does that make sense?
That way those attending could choose which workshop they wanted to go to and then everyone should be able to benefit from the experience.
absolutely, i like the idea of workshops and giving people options, not everyone is at the same place if ya know what i mean, good idea

Upvote 0