Debate-For MJ's Only Why was the Damascus Document Called the Damascus Document?

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

To make the thread tag clear, debate from non-MJs will not be entertained here. Questions and fellowship posts by non-MJs are welcomed.

Name​

The fragments found in Cairo in 1897 were originally called the Zadokite Fragments[7] but after the work was found at Qumran, the name was changed because the document had numerous references to Damascus.[8] The way this Damascus is treated in the document makes it possible that it was not a literal reference to Damascus in Syria, but to be understood either geographically for Babylon or Qumran itself. If symbolic, it is probably taking up the Biblical language found in Amos 5:27, "therefore I shall take you into exile beyond Damascus"; Damascus was part of Israel under King David, and the Damascus Document expresses an eschatological hope of the restoration of a Davidic monarchy.

I find it interesting that Betharaba (renamed Qumran by Islam) was the home of the Zadokite Priests.

I find it interesting that they were in the wilderness preparing the way (like Yochanan the immerser, who was also in the wilderness preparing the way; and he was also eligible to be a Zadokite Priest) ; as they were preparing for the Messianic age.

I find it interesting that Sha'ul was turned back from his his quest for persecution on the road to Damascus.

Last edited:

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Name
The fragments found in Cairo in 1897 were originally called the Zadokite Fragments[7] but after the work was found at Qumran, the name was changed because the document had numerous references to Damascus.
I thought the Damascus scroll was found at Qumran or Betharaba?

[8] The way this Damascus is treated in the document makes it possible that it was not a literal reference to Damascus in Syria, but to be understood either geographically for Babylon or Qumran itself.
I thought I read somewhere that in the ancient days there were actually three 'Damascus' cities or places. Not sure why it would be a name for the Betharaba area, seeing that the name contains the word for 'blood'.

If symbolic, it is probably taking up the Biblical language found in Amos 5:27, "therefore I shall take you into exile beyond Damascus"; Damascus was part of Israel under King David, and the Damascus Document expresses an eschatological hope of the restoration of a Davidic monarchy.
I don't quite understand how that would be if speaking of exile, I would say that was referring to the Babylonian captivity?

How do you do that? I can read the code but not sure how its implimented? Is there a symbol on the reply that I'm not seeing? I guess I'll have to try using
first [QUOTE="HARK!, post: 7715751...re-the-zadokites-speaking-of.8266500/[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm kinda on the fence about that after reading through some of the scrolls. I do think that something I read about them killing Zachariah in the Temple because he wouldn't give up the whereabouts of his son John. Elizabeth supposedly took off with a servant and headed to the dead sea area. She was elderly so she left charge of her son there when she died.

Yeshua mentions that murder also -
Matt 23:34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Had to been talking about a priest for it to be between the temple and altar.

I find it interesting that Sha'ul was turned back from his his quest for persecution on the road to Damascus.
I don't think that he was heading south towards the dead sea. I think he was going to the one in Syria.

"Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus"

It specifies synagogues plural. Also he is told to go to the street called straight. I don't think Betharaba was all that big to have to have an address.

However in Galatians he says this:

I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
To me this would seem to uphold the Dead Sea Damascus as it is near Arabia.
Still not sure what he was doing in Arabia, any idea?

Qumran and Syrian Damascus are almost 200 miles apart.

I've been looking at quite a few maps and it seems that there is a Damascus Gate that lead out of the city onto a road to Damascus (on the North West side) . Almost opposite is the Essene Gate that would seem to lead out to the south and towards the Dead Sea area.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I thought the Damascus scroll was found at Qumran or Betharaba?
It was; but it would seem that there was another copy found at Cairo. This is on my list of things to dig deeper into.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How do you do that? I can read the code but not sure how its implimented? Is there a symbol on the reply that I'm not seeing? I guess I'll have to try using
This new platform does it automatically when I copy and paste the URL.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This new platform does it automatically when I copy and paste the URL.
I'll have to try it. I've been using the old way where you highlight something and use the link feature.

ETA: It worked!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Damascus is also mentioned as Herod's place of refuge when, with the help of the high priest Hyrcanus, he fled Jerusalem when the members of the Sanhedrin were about to sentence him to death for having the Galilean rebels executed (ibid., 14:177f.). In the course of time a large and important Jewish community was established in Damascus. The Jews of Damascus in the first century C.E. are mentioned in Acts 9 and II Corinthians 11:32. In Acts, Paul states that he requested letters from the high priest in Jerusalem addressed to the synagogues of Damascus asking that they hand over to him the adherents of the new sect in order to bring them to Jerusalem. On the eve of the Roman war the Jews of Damascus were murdered by the gentile inhabitants (Jos., Wars, 2:559–561; Life, 27).

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
per wiki: Damascus - Wikipedia

Damascus is mentioned in Genesis 14:15 as existing at the time of the War of the Kings.[38] According to the 1st-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus in his twenty-one volume Antiquities of the Jews, Damascus (along with Trachonitis), was founded by Uz, the son of Aram.[39] In Antiquities i. 7,[40] Josephus reports:

Nicolaus of Damascus, in the fourth book of his History, says thus: "Abraham reigned at Damascus, being a foreigner, who came with an army out of the land above Babylon, called the land of the Chaldeans: but, after a long time, he got him up, and removed from that country also, with his people, and went into the land then called the land of Canaan, but now the land of Judea, and this when his posterity were become a multitude; as to which posterity of his, we relate their history in another work. Now the name of Abraham is even still famous in the country of Damascus; and there is shown a village named from him, The Habitation of Abraham.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This might give us a few more clues as well.

In 23 BC, Herod the Great was given lands controlled by Zenodorus by Caesar Augustus[51] and some scholars believe that Herod was also granted control of Damascus as well.[52] The control of Damascus reverted to Syria either upon the death of Herod the Great or was part of the lands given to Herod Philip which were given to Syria with his death in 33/34 AD.

It is speculated that control of Damascus was gained by Aretas IV Philopatris of Nabatea between the death of Herod Philip in 33/34 AD and the death of Aretas in 40 AD but there is substantial evidence against Aretas controlling the city before 37 AD and many reasons why it could not have been a gift from Caligula between 37 and 40 AD.[53][54] In fact, all these theories stem not from any actual evidence outside the New Testament but rather "a certain understanding of 2 Corinthians 11:32" and in reality "neither from archaeological evidence, secular-historical sources, nor New Testament texts can Nabatean sovereignty over Damascus in the first century AD be proven."[55] Roman emperor Trajan who annexed the Nabataean Kingdom, creating the province of Arabia Petraea, had previously been in Damascus, as his father Marcus Ulpius Traianus served as governor of Syria from 73 to 74 AD, where he met the Nabatean architect and engineer, Apollodorus of Damascus, who joined him in Rome when he was a consul in 91 AD, and later built several monuments during the 2nd century AD.[56

Could that Arabia Petraea be what Paul referred to as 'Arabia'?

Arabia Petraea or Petrea, also known as Rome's Arabian Province

1678801837880.png

If it is it's quite more understandable. Looks like the upper portion follows along the Jordan river, covers the Sinai penisula as well as the area where Jabal el Musa is, aka Mt Horeb or Mt Sinai.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's a bit on Arabia. (I'm sorry it seems to be off topic but trying to figure out where he went leads to investigating this).

At Shavuot, there were those there from 'Arabia'

From Acts 2

Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

And

• Galatians 1:17
    Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

• Galatians 4:25
    For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Those three are the only mention of 'Arabia' in the NT.

So if there were Jews come to Jerusalem for Passover and stayed until Shavuot or came back then there must have been a settlement in this Arabia.

I haven't been able to pinpoint much on that but seeing the map above it was close by.

Paul is saying that Mt Sinai is in Arabia (which includes Jordan) and that is where it is, Jabal Maqla. Not in the Sinai peninsula as Constantine's mother proclaimed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Here's a bit on Arabia. (I'm sorry it seems to be off topic but trying to figure out where he went leads to investigating this).
No evidence that is relevant to the topic is off topic. We know that the names of places have been changed, and that history isn't always accurate. All of the evidence should be considered.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I'm kinda on the fence about that after reading through some of the scrolls. I do think that something I read about them killing Zachariah in the Temple because he wouldn't give up the whereabouts of his son John. Elizabeth supposedly took off with a servant and headed to the dead sea area. She was elderly so she left charge of her son there when she died.
Rachel Elior presents a outstanding dissertation regarding the connection of the Zadokites to the scrolls found at Betharaba.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟117,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Name​

The fragments found in Cairo in 1897 were originally called the Zadokite Fragments[7] but after the work was found at Qumran, the name was changed because the document had numerous references to Damascus.[8] The way this Damascus is treated in the document makes it possible that it was not a literal reference to Damascus in Syria, but to be understood either geographically for Babylon or Qumran itself. If symbolic, it is probably taking up the Biblical language found in Amos 5:27, "therefore I shall take you into exile beyond Damascus"; Damascus was part of Israel under King David, and the Damascus Document expresses an eschatological hope of the restoration of a Davidic monarchy.

I find it interesting that Betharaba (renamed Qumran by Islam) was the home of the Zadokite Priests.

I find it interesting that they were in the wilderness preparing the way (like Yochanan the immerser, who was also in the wilderness preparing the way; and he was also eligible to be a Zadokite Priest) ; as they were preparing for the Messianic age.

What is the one thing Egypt, Damascus, and Babylon all have in common?

Ezekiel 16:26 KJV
26 Thou hast also committed fornication with the Egyptians thy neighbours, great of flesh; and hast increased thy whoredoms, to provoke me to anger.

Revelation 17:16 KJV (re: Mystery Babylon)
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the harlot, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries
H1834 דַּמֶּשֶׂק Dammeseq (dam-meh'-sek) n/l.
דּוּמֶשֶׂק Duwmeseq (doo-meh'-sek)
דַּרְמֶשֶׂק Darmeseq (dar-meh'-sek)
1. (meaning) a sack full of blood; the resemblance of burning.
2. (location) Damascus, a city of Syria.
[of foreign origin]
KJV: Damascus.

What is a blood-sack? What is your skin? (a sack of blood, lol). The one thing they all have in common is "the flesh", and all which that entails, whether allegory, metaphor, symbolism, pattern, typology, apocalyptic language, and so on. This is why Stephen and the author of Acts are perfectly justified in replacing Damascus with Babylon in Acts 7:42-43, (Babylon), when quoting Amos 5:25-27, (Damascus).

Where therefore is congregation at Babylon in the following statement?

1 Peter 5:13 KJV
13 The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

Not Yerushalem, not Rome, not Babylon, but the Yaḥad at Dammeseq, (a.k.a. Qumran).
Stephen by the quote from Amos is the key: Babylon = Dammeseq.

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've been studying the DSS for many many years now; but somehow this very important word has eluded me. As I didn't know what it meant; I looked for a definition; to which I found a very nce summary of some key points regarding this group:

Origin and Organization​

The origins of the yaḥad appear to be described in the *Damascus Document, which suggests a number of stages (1:3–12). First, a remnant of Israel was allowed by God to survive the Babylonian exile; then these were "visited" by God and a "seedling" (shoresh matta'at) sprouted "to possess the land." After 20 years of "groping the way," God raised for them a "*Teacher of Righteousness" to "guide them in the way of his heart." It is this last stage, under the leadership of the "Teacher," that in the opinion of most scholars accords with the formation of the yaḥad. The earlier stages appear to represent a wider movement that, after the emergence of the yaḥad, no doubt continued, since the Damascus Document (1:13–2:1) suggests that the Teacher's appearance generated conflict with a group led by the "Spouter of Lies" – presumably a polemical reference to a rival leader within the existing group. The death of the moreh ha-yaḥid (perhaps to be emended to moreh hayaḥad) is mentioned in cd 20:14. In the Habakkuk *pesher, no doubt a product of the yaḥad, the "Liar" is mentioned also, though the Teacher is opposed mainly by a "Wicked Priest," a figure thought to be a national leader but absent from the Damascus Document. Because of this and other discrepancies between the accounts, it is impossible to decide why the yaḥad came into existence. Broadly speaking, two possibilities exist: that it consisted originally of the followers of a "Teacher" who split with the leadership of an existing movement; or that the Teacher was the founder of a new movement that separated from the rest of Judaism and later assumed different forms, including the yaḥad. On the former view, inner-sectarian motives may have been instrumental in the formation of the yaḥad – such as the Teacher's claim to be an eschatological leader (see cd 6:11), in which case the existing movement arose for reasons (such as differences over calendar and purity laws) that the yaḥad inherited in addition to its own distinct ideology. On the latter view, the yaḥad is more probably a penitential movement, reacting to the conviction that divine anger was about to befall Israel. Further possible clues might lie in the *Thanksgiving Hymns (Hodayot), if they could be read autobiographically as compositions of the Teacher, for they represent the author as the persecuted founder of a community, articulating a profound belief in his existential, and probably eschatological, redemption and fellowship with the heavenly beings. The Community Rule itself does not mention the teacher, but contains passages (cols. 8–9) that in the opinion of many scholars, represent the original aims and organization of the yaḥad. On this view, a nucleus of 15 men – three priests and 12 laymen – formed its core. Among the convictions held in these passages is that the land cannot be atoned for by the existing sacrificial cult, which is corrupt; instead a human sanctuary, containing an inner, priestly "holy of holies" must fulfill this function, without sacrifice, by living lives of utter holiness. To this end the members were to segregate from the "sinful" and make a "way in the wilderness" (Isa. 40:3) in order to study the law. This is often interpreted as entailing a physical withdrawal to the Judean Desert, to the west shore of the Dead Sea.

There is much more to this article; and it adds to the pool of information on this subject. I need to remember this word.

Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟117,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've been studying the DSS for many many years now; but somehow this very important word has eluded me. As I didn't know what it meant; I looked for a definition; to which I found a very nce summary of some key points regarding this group:

Origin and Organization​

The origins of the yaḥad appear to be described in the *Damascus Document, which suggests a number of stages (1:3–12). First, a remnant of Israel was allowed by God to survive the Babylonian exile; then these were "visited" by God and a "seedling" (shoresh matta'at) sprouted "to possess the land." After 20 years of "groping the way," God raised for them a "*Teacher of Righteousness" to "guide them in the way of his heart." It is this last stage, under the leadership of the "Teacher," that in the opinion of most scholars accords with the formation of the yaḥad. The earlier stages appear to represent a wider movement that, after the emergence of the yaḥad, no doubt continued, since the Damascus Document (1:13–2:1) suggests that the Teacher's appearance generated conflict with a group led by the "Spouter of Lies" – presumably a polemical reference to a rival leader within the existing group. The death of the moreh ha-yaḥid (perhaps to be emended to moreh hayaḥad) is mentioned in cd 20:14. In the Habakkuk *pesher, no doubt a product of the yaḥad, the "Liar" is mentioned also, though the Teacher is opposed mainly by a "Wicked Priest," a figure thought to be a national leader but absent from the Damascus Document. Because of this and other discrepancies between the accounts, it is impossible to decide why the yaḥad came into existence. Broadly speaking, two possibilities exist: that it consisted originally of the followers of a "Teacher" who split with the leadership of an existing movement; or that the Teacher was the founder of a new movement that separated from the rest of Judaism and later assumed different forms, including the yaḥad. On the former view, inner-sectarian motives may have been instrumental in the formation of the yaḥad – such as the Teacher's claim to be an eschatological leader (see cd 6:11), in which case the existing movement arose for reasons (such as differences over calendar and purity laws) that the yaḥad inherited in addition to its own distinct ideology. On the latter view, the yaḥad is more probably a penitential movement, reacting to the conviction that divine anger was about to befall Israel. Further possible clues might lie in the *Thanksgiving Hymns (Hodayot), if they could be read autobiographically as compositions of the Teacher, for they represent the author as the persecuted founder of a community, articulating a profound belief in his existential, and probably eschatological, redemption and fellowship with the heavenly beings. The Community Rule itself does not mention the teacher, but contains passages (cols. 8–9) that in the opinion of many scholars, represent the original aims and organization of the yaḥad. On this view, a nucleus of 15 men – three priests and 12 laymen – formed its core. Among the convictions held in these passages is that the land cannot be atoned for by the existing sacrificial cult, which is corrupt; instead a human sanctuary, containing an inner, priestly "holy of holies" must fulfill this function, without sacrifice, by living lives of utter holiness. To this end the members were to segregate from the "sinful" and make a "way in the wilderness" (Isa. 40:3) in order to study the law. This is often interpreted as entailing a physical withdrawal to the Judean Desert, to the west shore of the Dead Sea.

There is much more to this article; and it adds to the pool of information on this subject. I need to remember this word.

Thanks for that, (and for the link, which I will save).

In regards to the second half of what you have quoted, take a look at the following passage:

Hebrews 12:18-24
18 For you have not come near to a mountain that may be touched, and that burned with fire, and to blackness, and darkness and storm,
19 and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that no further Word should be spoken to them: [Exo 20:19]
20 for they could not bear what was commanded, If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned or shot through with an arrow. [Exo 19:12]
21 And so fearsome was the sight that Mosheh said, I exceedingly fear and tremble. [Deu 9:19]
22 But you have come to Mount Tzion, and to the city of the Living Elohim, to the heavenly Yerushalem, to myriads of messengers,
23 To the national assembly and congregation of the firstborn having been enrolled in the heavens, and to Elohim the Judge of all, and to the spirits of righteous men having been perfected,
24 And to Ι̅Η the Mediator of the Briyth Ḥadashah, and to the blood of sprinkling which speaks better things than that of Habel.

My friend, this passage-statement is straight out of Dammeseq-Qumran, and while they are sometimes accused of worshiping angels, it is rather exactly as this passage states: the worship was alongside the Messengers as in a brotherhood, in the heavenly community, the national assembly, the great congregation. And when they worshiped they were not (mentally) in Babylon or Damesek-Qumran, neither in Yerushalem of below, the physical city: they were mentally and spiritually in Tzion-Yerushalem of above, the heavenly and holy city of the Living Elohim, just as even Daniel the Prophet prayed three times daily in the prayer times "with the windows of his chamber open toward Yerushalem", (of above).

Job 38:4-7 KJV
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, [H3162 יחד yaḥad] and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The Yaḥad came into existence, at the very least, in the opening creation account. :D

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for that, (and for the link, which I will save).

In regards to the second half of what you have quoted, take a look at the following passage:

Hebrews 12:18-24
18 For you have not come near to a mountain that may be touched, and that burned with fire, and to blackness, and darkness and storm,
19 and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that no further Word should be spoken to them: [Exo 20:19]
20 for they could not bear what was commanded, If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned or shot through with an arrow. [Exo 19:12]
21 And so fearsome was the sight that Mosheh said, I exceedingly fear and tremble. [Deu 9:19]
22 But you have come to Mount Tzion, and to the city of the Living Elohim, to the heavenly Yerushalem, to myriads of messengers,
23 To the national assembly and congregation of the firstborn having been enrolled in the heavens, and to Elohim the Judge of all, and to the spirits of righteous men having been perfected,
24 And to Ι̅Η the Mediator of the Briyth Ḥadashah, and to the blood of sprinkling which speaks better things than that of Habel.

My friend, this passage-statement is straight out of Dammeseq-Qumran, and while they are sometimes accused of worshiping angels, it is rather exactly as this passage states: the worship was alongside the Messengers as in a brotherhood, in the heavenly community, the national assembly, the great congregation. And when they worshiped they were not (mentally) in Babylon or Damesek-Qumran, neither in Yerushalem of below, the physical city: they were mentally and spiritually in Tzion-Yerushalem of above, the heavenly and holy city of the Living Elohim, just as even Daniel the Prophet prayed three times daily in the prayer times "with the windows of his chamber open toward Yerushalem", (of above).

Job 38:4-7 KJV
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, [H3162 יחד yaḥad] and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The Yaḥad came into existence, at the very least, in the opening creation account. :D
This is supported by the same source:

Eschatological Expectations​

Beliefs about the future are not entirely consistent among the writings of the yaḥad, though it certainly believed, whether prompted by scripture or calculation or both, in an imminent divine judgment. The members of the community came to regard themselves not merely as the remnant of Israel but as on one side of a dualistic universe, in which light and darkness (or truth and falsehood) were balanced and opposing forces. Each side comprised both angelic and human beings, and was led by its respective heavenly "prince," and light would finally conquer darkness. Such a developed dualistic doctrine is found only in texts associated with the yaḥad, though dualistic and predestinarian tendencies are also present in the Damascus Document. Zoroastrian influence on this developed dualism is probable. Yet more traditional, Jewish expectations of the future are represented by belief in the coming of a prophet and the "anointed ones of Aaron and Israel" (iqs 9:11). In that new age the anointed priest would be paramount, the lay Messiah being subordinate to him (as in Ezek. 44:3ff.). The Davidic Messiah may be the "star … out of Jacob" (Num. 24:17) to whom reference is made in a number of Qumran documents (cd 7:19; 4qTestimonia; 1qm 11:6), in which case he should be the commander of the Children of Light (see *Sons of *Light) in their end-time struggle against the children of Darkness (depicted in the *War Scroll), though strangely he does not appear, only his shield. In this depiction of this final struggle, which can be assigned to the yaḥad, dualistic and nationalistic perspectives are combined, with the "children of Light" taking on the identity of Israel, and the "children of Darkness" led by the Kittim, almost certainly the Romans. The war would end in the defeat of the nations and victory for "Israel" but would also represent light vanquishing darkness and evil disappearing forever. That cosmic, national, and sectarian perspectives can be merged into a single coherent expectation is hard to imagine, but the War Scroll (in its various editions) may represent an attempt to do just that.

Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟117,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This is supported by the same source:

Eschatological Expectations​

Beliefs about the future are not entirely consistent among the writings of the yaḥad, though it certainly believed, whether prompted by scripture or calculation or both, in an imminent divine judgment. The members of the community came to regard themselves not merely as the remnant of Israel but as on one side of a dualistic universe, in which light and darkness (or truth and falsehood) were balanced and opposing forces. Each side comprised both angelic and human beings, and was led by its respective heavenly "prince," and light would finally conquer darkness. Such a developed dualistic doctrine is found only in texts associated with the yaḥad, though dualistic and predestinarian tendencies are also present in the Damascus Document. Zoroastrian influence on this developed dualism is probable. Yet more traditional, Jewish expectations of the future are represented by belief in the coming of a prophet and the "anointed ones of Aaron and Israel" (iqs 9:11). In that new age the anointed priest would be paramount, the lay Messiah being subordinate to him (as in Ezek. 44:3ff.). The Davidic Messiah may be the "star … out of Jacob" (Num. 24:17) to whom reference is made in a number of Qumran documents (cd 7:19; 4qTestimonia; 1qm 11:6), in which case he should be the commander of the Children of Light (see *Sons of *Light) in their end-time struggle against the children of Darkness (depicted in the *War Scroll), though strangely he does not appear, only his shield. In this depiction of this final struggle, which can be assigned to the yaḥad, dualistic and nationalistic perspectives are combined, with the "children of Light" taking on the identity of Israel, and the "children of Darkness" led by the Kittim, almost certainly the Romans. The war would end in the defeat of the nations and victory for "Israel" but would also represent light vanquishing darkness and evil disappearing forever. That cosmic, national, and sectarian perspectives can be merged into a single coherent expectation is hard to imagine, but the War Scroll (in its various editions) may represent an attempt to do just that.

Who are Elohim the Judge of all, and Ι̅Η the Mediator of the Briyth Ḥadashah, and why are they mentioned separately in the passage I quoted from Hebrews? The Father judges no one but has committed all judgment to the Son, (John 5:22), and thus the nomen sacrum Ι̅Η must have at least two meanings: one of them may be known for certainty from the Psalms and Prophets and from Paul quoting and expounding from one of the relevant Psalms, (Ephesians 4:8-13).

And if Yah is the Ḥassin, (Psalm 89:8), then surely His Chosen One is a Ḥessene.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Father judges no one but has committed all judgment to the Son, (John 5:22),
Is not the Father ultimately the judge?

(CLV) Ac 17:30
"Indeed, then, condoning the times of ignorance, God is now charging mankind that all everywhere are to repent,

(CLV) Ac 17:31
forasmuch as He assigns a day in which He is about to be judging the inhabited earth in righteousness by the Man Whom He specifies, tendering faith to all, raising Him from among the dead"

Upvote 0