Why did Paul tell believers to hold on to men's traditions?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟90,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 15:

1 Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2“Why do your disciples break the tradition [παράδοσις] of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” 3He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,”a 6he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God. 7You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
“‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”
Jesus distinguished the commandments of God and the commandments of men. The latter belongs to untrustworthy human tradition. Yet Paul wrote in

2 Thessalonians 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions [παράδοσις] that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.
Neither Jesus nor Paul were against traditions in general. They were only against bad traditions, particularly when a man's tradition overruled God's command.

Reactions: Grip Docility

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟924,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"bad traditions" as in -- those that fail sola scriptura testing as we see them fail in Mark 7:7-13

12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Matthew 15:

Jesus distinguished the commandments of God and the commandments of men. The latter belongs to untrustworthy human tradition. Yet Paul wrote in

Neither Jesus nor Paul were against traditions in general. They were only against bad traditions, particularly when a man's tradition overruled God's command.
I will be succinct. This is the same Paul that used the word "Anathema" in Galatians. He's speaking about the utter simplicity of the Gospel. Paul is speaking about the Gospel that He has revealed, directly from Jesus in Heaven.

Paul makes it clear that we put on Christ like a coat, or cloak...
Galatians 3:27 And when you were baptized, it was as though you had put on Christ in the same way you put on new clothes.

That is the meat of "Imputed Righteousness". That's not our Perfect, Law abiding Life, from our birth to death, that saves us. That's Christs FULL ATONEMENT (Covering).
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith,[a] 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Here, Paul shows the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Boom, simple, easy.

Paul is kind of a gruff humorist. He then adds the fruits of the flesh... and places factions right in the list with "sexual immorality" (Which contrary to western Christian thought) goes a lot further into the matter. I'll spare you the dissertation on all of the things those words imply in scripture.

I just find it funny that in the midst of some denomination or another denomination teaching "Holiness Living" and God forbid, Obedience based Salvation... Paul has "FACTIONS" :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0