Why are threads on Christian universalism so popular?

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It would be IF I applied the notions to you directly, but in that case, I didn't. I asked a question about whether or not you thought "such and such." That is not an Ad Hominem, and it wasn't intended to be. If I had made a direct statement about it instead, then I could agree with you on this point.

From this I conclude that you don't assume that others automatically care less about truth than you do. And if you don't, that's a good thing!

It's very easy to avoid being direct and simply implying. All same diff.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
No, I'm insinuating that the slack I'm willing to give to others is related to the amount of slack that others give me, especially if I think there's a bigger picture that they're ignoring and which remains to be explored, researched, deliberated over and otherwise analyzed before pouncing too firmly upon another person's head.

What do I need to do to gain an increase in your grace?

A lot of modern western Christians do not believe absolute truth can be discerned due to all the different translations and denominations. I oppose this view as unbiblical. Your remarks about slack etc led me to put you under my magnifying glass.

Before this, I don't think I've had any major issues with your opinions. Not that I recall anyway.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of modern western Christians do not believe absolute truth can be discerned due to all the different translations and denominations. I oppose this view as unbiblical. Your remarks about slack etc led me to put you under my magnifying glass.
I hope the maginification of your instrument is powerful enough ...

Before this, I don't think I've had any major issues with your opinions. Not that I recall anyway.
I don't think we've spoken yet.

Besides, I'm simply stating that I think that Universalists should be given space to discuss their viewpoints and be accepted as fellow Christians within the Trinintarian tradition. This doesn't imply that anyone has to agree with them or that their points of argument have to be left unaddressed. I just don't think it's necessary to land into them with insinuations about their (allegedly) having some lack of 'true faith' in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeff Saunders
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I hope the maginification of your instrument is powerful enough ...

I don't think we've spoken yet.

Besides, I'm simply stating that I think that Universalists should be given space to discuss their viewpoints and be accepted as fellow Christians within the Trinintarian tradition. This doesn't imply that anyone has to agree with them or that their points of argument have to be left unaddressed. I just don't think it's necessary to land into them with insinuations about their (allegedly) having some lack of 'true faith' in Christ.

FYI my magnifying glass will burn you if you don't know the Bible, old, as well as new testaments, and I'm pretty sure I`ve either replied to a few of your comments or else left feedback.

The universalists on this site have put up multiple threads and their viewpoints are well known as far as I can tell. They like to act persecuted, it fits well into their narrative.

I've made several attempts to get converted by it. I have no issue with God being merciful to sinners and I won't be mad if He is merciful to lots of them.

I just find too many scripture holes to plug and Universalists get touchy after a while if you keep bringing up different scriptures.

If it helps you any, I`ll hug a tree for you and recycle a few cans.

Reactions: mndgn.j
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FYI my magnifying glass will burn you if you don't know the Bible, old, as well as new testaments, and I'm pretty sure I`ve either replied to a few of your comments or else left feedback.
That could be, but my memory slips me at the moment as to how many times we've touched base thus far. Regardless, I'm sure your magnfiying glass isn't any better than anyone else's, and I say this in my humble, existential and informed opinion. No, educated opinion.

But, we don't have to descend into finding out just how . I'm sure there's some things we can agree on.

The universalists on this site have put up multiple threads and their viewpoints are well known as far as I can tell. They like to act persecuted, it fits well into their narrative.
That's probably because those of us who lean more on the side of the more dominant eschatology have gotten our jabs in on them constantly for the last year while they've been sharing their viewpoint. I'd be defensive too if everyone kept poking at me.

I've made several attempts to get converted by it. I have no issue with God being merciful to sinners and I won't be mad if He is merciful to lots of them.
Ditto.

I just find too many scripture holes to plug and Universalists get touchy after a while if you keep bringing up different scriptures.
Oh, perhaps, but not more than is typical of many Christians these days. Everyone seems to be blind to the shortcomings of their own perspectives. But that's kind of par for the course these days, I suppose. And it's not like any of us has a comprehensive data set about God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit anyway ...

If it helps you any, I`ll hug a tree for you and recycle a few cans.
Oh yes! Please do. :cool:

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just as I thought.

And you thought what? C'mon now! Get that magnifying glass working! You can't afford to get this one wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
And you thought what? C'mon now! Get that magnifying glass working! You can't afford to get this one wrong!

13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

• Winner
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's probably because those of us who lean more on the side of the more dominant eschatology have gotten our jabs in on them constantly for the last year while they've been sharing their viewpoint. I'd be defensive too if everyone kept poking at me.

Well, I haven't faced a single effective jab yet so I'm quite happy keeping my hands low.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I haven't faced a single effective jab yet so I'm quite happy keeping my hands low.

You say not effec...........
upload_2022-5-9_13-46-22.jpeg
Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!! ^_^

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟797,025.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I'd love UR to be true but I'm not convinced from scripture. Satan and his demons going to hell - yes; any human being - I struggle with the idea, let alone my deceased nearest and dearest who may not have been saved. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not convinced that we would.
Is this another of those "God can't..." moments?

But I reckon we need our villains to make us feel better about outselves.

I have my own rogues gallery: Hitler, Stalin, Tse-Tung Mao, all the members of the Kim Dynasty: Il-sung, Jong-ll, Jong-Un, & Yo-jong, Pol Pot, Cump Sherman, George Custer, and a scad of others of that ilk. I'd like them all to spend a couple of millennia being roasted over a slow fire and/or eaten by scorpions. But me, being a regular old country boy, have only finite amount of anger and malice to work off, and I'd undoubtedly take pity on the poor... souls, especially if they gave me reason to believe they'd learned the error of their ways and were genuinely sorry for what horrors they'd committed.

You see, I lack the godlike ability to hold a grudge for an eternity, or a deity's ability to take pleasure in the torment of any of my creatures, however vile they may have been. Then again, if I was omniscient I probably wouldn't have created any creatures that I knew ahead of time were going to be slavering monsters, so I couldn't be blamed for the way they turned out.

Truth is, I reckon I'd do what I actually did with designs of mine that didn't work out - I deleted them. I didn't keep them around to I could contemplate how much embarrassment they'd caused me, and how much abuse I took from colleages and customers because of how those evil designs failed, and the financial damage they caused, and how much profanity they inspired. I just made them cease to exist, and determined not to make those kind of mistakes again.

Of course, God can't do that, can He? Because... reasons. Infinite reasons.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Is this another of those "God can't..." moments?

But I reckon we need our villains to make us feel better about outselves.

I have my own rogues gallery: Hitler, Stalin, Tse-Tung Mao, all the members of the Kim Dynasty: Il-sung, Jong-ll, Jong-Un, & Yo-jong, Pol Pot, Cump Sherman, George Custer, and a scad of others of that ilk. I'd like them all to spend a couple of millennia being roasted over a slow fire and/or eaten by scorpions. But me, being a regular old country boy, have only finite amount of anger and malice to work off, and I'd undoubtedly take pity on the poor... souls, especially if they gave me reason to believe they'd learned the error of their ways and were genuinely sorry for what horrors they'd committed.

You see, I lack the godlike ability to hold a grudge for an eternity, or a deity's ability to take pleasure in the torment of any of my creatures, however vile they may have been. Then again, if I was omniscient I probably wouldn't have created any creatures that I knew ahead of time were going to be slavering monsters, so I couldn't be blamed for the way they turned out.

Truth is, I reckon I'd do what I actually did with designs of mine that didn't work out - I deleted them. I didn't keep them around to I could contemplate how much embarrassment they'd caused me, and how much abuse I took from colleages and customers because of how those evil designs failed, and the financial damage they caused, and how much profanity they inspired. I just made them cease to exist, and determined not to make those kind of mistakes again.

Of course, God can't do that, can He? Because... reasons. Infinite reasons.

That doesn't really make sense. Maybe my problem with you is expecting it too.

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟154,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Hitler not have a mother though who would remember him as a baby? Could she ever experience heaven as heaven knowing that her baby is suffering in an endlessly tormenting hell? Of course, that's not to say that she condones what he did. I'm sure she was devastated by what he did.

So there can't be a heaven in any meaningful sense of the word if there is even one person in "hell", defined in this man-made way as a place of ECT. And as well as being his mother's son, Hitler is also God's child and would not he want to redeem his child, and being God, would he not be able to eventually do so? Hitler as Hitler won't be going to heaven, but a fully repentant and redeemed Hitler will. Then his mum will also be in heaven.
It seems you know about as much about heaven as you do hell. Scripture indicates we will not know each other as husband and wife which may indicate we will not know uncle Joe or aunt Sally. What does it say? Eye has not seen nor ear heard....

Upvote 0