Which comes first repentance or forgiveness?

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟519,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello BBAS 64

I agree with you that Gods command to repent is for everyone,
Acts 17:30-31
Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

Because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained, He has given ASSURANCE OF THIS DAY TO ALL by raising Jesus from the dead.

We know all are given the command by God to repent.
We also know God has provided the way so that man can repent.

But, God does not do the repenting for us.
We must repent.
And we all can repent, because God has provided this ability for all of us by His Sons sacrifice for our sins.
He blessed ALL with repentance, Acts 17:30.
But only those who choose to take His free gift of grace and obey His commandment to repent will be forgiven.

If God only gives a select few repentance as calvinism teaches then God is guilty for those who do not repent.

For those who do not repent, are not at fault for not repenting. Because God chose for them not to grant repentance.
They cannot choose on their own to repent.
Therefore they are not gulity of not repenting.
Calvinism makes God guilty of mans sin.

We know God chose All to be saved through Grace.
In Gods grace is the gift of Belief, repentance, obedience,
Faith, repentance and the ability to obey is what man must do.

God gave us all the ability to do these things, He does not do them for us.
These gifts come from God, His grace.

If God chose only certain ones to be blessed with His grace, then God did not die for the whole world,
God therefore is partial,
1Timothy 2:4
Who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

God has given us overwhelming evidence He is not partial with who He loves. He loves every sinner. He came to save every sinner.

Impartiality of God:
Psalm 67:2
That your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.

Acts 10:34-35
Then Peter opened his mouth and said: in truth I perceive that God shows no partiality
But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

Romans 2:11
For there is no partiality with God.

Epheasians 6:9
And you, masters, do the same things to them, giving up threatening, knowing that your own Master also is in heaven and there is no partiality with Him.

Colossians 3:25
But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.

1Peter 1:17
And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear.

The scriptures clearly teach God is no respecter of persons.

All have been chosen to come to repentance, Acts 17:30.
God has predestined all to repentance.
It is mans choice to choose to repent.

2Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Good Day, NTC

I should not be surprised that you have chosen not to interact with the text of scripture I quoted...

Every one on called to repent... it is command.

You said 2 things:

1. We know all are given the command by God to repent.

Yes scripture says that

2.We also know God has provided the way so that man can repent.

You point to:

Act 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”

There is no provisional language in this text at all.... so number 2 is still lacking support from scripture.

We do know that Repentance is Granted (gifted) by God himself for a specific purpose that God has determined. See my post to you, and if you could deal with the text I posted that would be most helpful.

In Him,

Bill

Bill

Upvote 0

New Testament Christian

Sep 10, 2021
Columbus
✟4,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good Day, NTC

I should not be surprised that you have chosen not to interact with the text of scripture I quoted...

You said 2 things:

Yes scripture says that

You point to:

Act 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”

There is no provisional language in this text at all.... so number 2 is still lacking support from scripture.

We do know that Repentance is Granted (gifted) by God himself for a specific purpose that God has determined. See my post to you, and if you could deal with the text I posted that would be most helpful.

In Him,

Bill

Bill

Hello again,

I believe I answered all your passages you cited.
I posted to you on post 40.
I also continued my post to you on post 41.

Did you read my post to you on post 41 page 3?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good Day, NTC

You said 2 things:

Yes scripture says that

You point to:

In Him,

Bill

Bill
I hope you mean a change of mind (repentance) concerning Jesus.

When you come to the New Testament there is one word you need to know the Greek word metanoia, which literally means “to change the mind.” Repentance fundamentally means to change your mind about something. It has to do with the way you think about something. You’ve been thinking one way, but now you think the opposite way. That’s repentance, the changing of the mind. (Christianity.com)

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In salvation which comes first - repentance and turning to God, or God's word of forgiveness?

Hello dms,

Good question. What do the scriptures say?

WHAT COMES FIRST?

(1) Faith or believing God's Word comes first (Romans 10:17; John 3:16: John 3:36) followed by
(2) Confession and repentance of sin (1 John 1:9; Acts of the Apostles 3:19) followed by
(3) God's forgiveness the moment you believe Gods promise (Matthew 21:22; John 1:12; 1 John 2:1-4; 1 John 1:9).

Therefore faith or believing what God's Word says comes first then following what God's Word says.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

New Testament Christian

Sep 10, 2021
Columbus
✟4,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope you mean a change of mind (repentance) concerning Jesus.

When you come to the New Testament there is one word you need to know the Greek word metanoia, which literally means “to change the mind.” Repentance fundamentally means to change your mind about something. It has to do with the way you think about something. You’ve been thinking one way, but now you think the opposite way. That’s repentance, the changing of the mind. (Christianity.com)

Hello,
Yes you are correct,
Partly

Meaning of words in themselves cannot always give us the full understanding of the thoughts of the writer.

It is the context of the passage that gives the true meaning of the words that have been chosen by the writer.

You are correct about the Greek word repentance.

But it must be used in the proper context for it to be understood as BIBLICAL REPENTANCE.

Here's what I mean:

A young man decides he will try to make himself wealthy through criminal means.

So, he begins plotting out bank robberies.

He robs the first bank and gets away without being caught.

He gets more bold, so he robs another.
Again he is successful in not getting caught.

He plots out a thrid bank robbery.
This time his "luck" runs out.

He is arrested and sentenced to 20 years. But he might get out in 10 based on good behavior.

While in prison he reflects on his life choices.
He comes to the conclusion that being a criminal is not worth the consequences that it brings.

So, he repents(changes his mind)
He never causes any trouble as a prisoner.
Since he is in the state of California he gets out in 3 years.

He immediately gets a lawful job. And obeys the laws for the rest of his days in this life.

Now is that Biblical repentance?
Answer: No

He changed his mind but Biblical repentance must be based on God and not self.

He repented based on WORLDLY SORROW.
He was thinking only of self.
He had no sorrow for robbing. His sorrow was from getting caught and losing his freedom.

What motivated him to repent was from only selfish reasons.

Biblical repentance does involve thinking of self and the consequences of our sins.

But that is not our primary motivation.
True Biblical repentance causes a change of mind based on the suffering that our wickedness ie sins have caused God.

We realize that our sins have caused Jesus to suffer and die on a cruel cross.
And as long as we continue in sin, our sins continue to hurt the one that loves us more than any other love we will ever know.

This is where Biblical repentance originates from,
Godly sorrow.

Our sorrow for being the cause of Jesus' crucifixion because of our sins, motivates us to change our minds.

This is not all repentance is.
This change of mind is also a change of our hearts,

We feel Godly sorrow from our heart(conscience) for what we have done.

This naturally causes a change in lifestyle.
We no longer practice willful rebellious sin against God.

True Biblical repentance involves a change of mind that results in a change of how we live.

So, repentance is more than just a change of thinking.
It includes a change in our actions.

If we keep practicing willful sin. Then we have not Biblically repented.

Heres the verse that teaches repentance,

"A change of mind, produced by Godly sorrow, that results in a reformation of life"
2Corinthians 7:10
For Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Heres a verse that shows repentance,
Matthew 21:28-31
But what do you think? A man had two sons and he came to the first and said, Son, go, work today in my vineyard.

He answered and said, I will not, but afterwards he regretted it and went.

Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said I go, sir, but he did not go.

Which of the two did the will of the father?

Then they said Him, the first. Jesus said to them....

The first changed his mind(repented) but not only that. He changed his actions and went working in His fathers vineyard.

Again if we just pray God, forgive me of my sins. But we have no intention of stopping these sins. That is not Biblical repentance. 1John 1:9

Because true repentance means we will change our actions and start again walking in the light,

1 John 1:6-7
If we say we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,
Yes you are correct,
Partly

Meaning of words in themselves cannot always give us the full understanding of the thoughts of the writer.

It is the context of the passage that gives the true meaning of the words that have been chosen by the writer.

You are correct about the Greek word repentance.

But it must be used in the proper context for it to be understood as BIBLICAL REPENTANCE.

Here's what I mean:

A young man decides he will try to make himself wealthy through criminal means.

So, he begins plotting out bank robberies.

He robs the first bank and gets away without being caught.

He gets more bold, so he robs another.
Again he is successful in not getting caught.

He plots out a thrid bank robbery.
This time his "luck" runs out.

He is arrested and sentenced to 20 years. But he might get out in 10 based on good behavior.

While in prison he reflects on his life choices.
He comes to the conclusion that being a criminal is not worth the consequences that it brings.

So, he repents(changes his mind)
He never causes any trouble as a prisoner.
Since he is in the state of California he gets out in 3 years.

He immediately gets a lawful job. And obeys the laws for the rest of his days in this life.

Now is that Biblical repentance?
Answer: No

He changed his mind but Biblical repentance must be based on God and not self.

He repented based on WORLDLY SORROW.
He was thinking only of self.
He had no sorrow for robbing. His sorrow was from getting caught and losing his freedom.

What motivated him to repent was from only selfish reasons.

Biblical repentance does involve thinking of self and the consequences of our sins.

But that is not our primary motivation.
True Biblical repentance causes a change of mind based on the suffering that our wickedness ie sins have caused God.

We realize that our sins have caused Jesus to suffer and die on a cruel cross.
And as long as we continue in sin, our sins continue to hurt the one that loves us more than any other love we will ever know.

This is where Biblical repentance originates from,
Godly sorrow.

Our sorrow for being the cause of Jesus' crucifixion because of our sins, motivates us to change our minds.

This is not all repentance is.
This change of mind is also a change of our hearts,

We feel Godly sorrow from our heart(conscience) for what we have done.

This naturally causes a change in lifestyle.
We no longer practice willful rebellious sin against God.

True Biblical repentance involves a change of mind that results in a change of how we live.

So, repentance is more than just a change of thinking.
It includes a change in our actions.

If we keep practicing willful sin. Then we have not Biblically repented.

Heres the verse that teaches repentance,

"A change of mind, produced by Godly sorrow, that results in a reformation of life"
2Corinthians 7:10
For Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Heres a verse that shows repentance,
Matthew 21:28-31
But what do you think? A man had two sons and he came to the first and said, Son, go, work today in my vineyard.

He answered and said, I will not, but afterwards he regretted it and went.

Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said I go, sir, but he did not go.

Which of the two did the will of the father?

Then they said Him, the first. Jesus said to them....

The first changed his mind(repented) but not only that. He changed his actions and went working in His fathers vineyard.

Again if we just pray God, forgive me of my sins. But we have no intention of stopping these sins. That is not Biblical repentance. 1John 1:9

Because true repentance means we will change our actions and start again walking in the light,

1 John 1:6-7
If we say we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Repentance can be done in a single day.

Acts 2:40-41
And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!” So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

Sure looks like a change of mind.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

New Testament Christian

Sep 10, 2021
Columbus
✟4,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance can be done in a single day.

Acts 2:40-41
And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!” So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

Sure looks like a change of mind.

Did you read my full response to you?

How did you come to the conclusion that I dont believe repentance is a change of mind?

I agree with you that it is.

And when did I say repentance cannot be done immediately? In one day it can be done!

Matthew 21:28-31 the son was told to go work in his fathers vineyard. He said no, changed his mind and went working in his fathers vineyard.
ALL IN ONE DAY.

To define repentance as only a change of mind is in error of the Biblical teaching of repentance.

Your good example of men repenting, Acts 2:40-41
Shows they changed their minds and that change of mind resulted in action.

They did not just change their mind end stop.

Their change of mind produced from Godly sorrow resulted in a reformation of their living, they obeyed Peter's gospel commands and were baptized.

Repentance in the Bible always results in a change of course in how one is living.

Here is an old testament example of repentance.
Notice they must stop committing sin, which is true Biblical repentance.

2Chronicles 7:14
If My people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves and pray AND SEEK MY FACE AND TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

True Biblical repentance always includes a change of mind and living.

As I've already taught,
A man can be a thief, and decide to himself: " I think this stealing is no longer worth the risk of losing my freedoms"

He changed his mind about stealing(repented)

But his repentance was for carnal reasons only.

He did not repent in the Biblical sense of repentance.

His repantance was motivated by worldly sorrow not Godly sorrow.

He had no remorse for stealing ie committing willful sin. He only repented because he does not want to get caught.

That change of mind is not Biblical repentance.

I could pray to God every night before I sleep,
"God forgive me of my sins"
But if I continue to commit those same sins and have no intention of stopping those sins, I have not repented.

True repentance involves asking God for forgiveness and then acting on my change of heart by turning from my sin.

1John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

God will not forgive our sins when we pray if we continue in those sins. Continue walking in darkness,

1John 1:6-7
If we say we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth.

7 but if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Do you agree?

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What comes first in Eternal Life salvation, is believing. But actually repentance could come first, second or not at all, but that would not have any bearing on whether a person trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Forgiveness of sin happened at the cross as Jesus took away the sin of the world even for unbelievers.
You say repentance may not come at all? That contradicts Acts 3:19. And any contradiction of Scripture must be wrong.

Jesus did not take away all sin at the cross. He paid the price for sin at the cross. An individual’s sin is not forgiven until he/she repents and is baptized into Christ (Acts 2:38, Rom 6:1-3, Col 2:11-14, Gal 3:27).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You say repentance may not come at all? That contradicts Acts 3:19. And any contradiction of Scripture must be wrong.

Jesus did not take away all sin at the cross. He paid the price for sin at the cross. An individual’s sin is not forgiven until he/she repents and is baptized into Christ (Acts 2:38, Rom 6:1-3, Col 2:11-14, Gal 3:27).

Acts 3 is about the re-offer of The Kingdom of The Messiah to Israel. God required for this offer, that people believe in the Messiah (that Jesus was the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh). that they repent of the sin rejection of Jesus based on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and that they be baptized. Showing a public identification that they believe in Jesus as The Messiah.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

THE NATIONAL REPENTANCE OF ISRAEL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 3 is about the re-offer of The Kingdom of The Messiah to Israel. God required for this offer, that people believe in the Messiah (that Jesus was the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh). that they repent of the sin rejection of Jesus based on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and that they be baptized. Showing a public identification that they believe in Jesus as The Messiah.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
Yes, the direct audience to Peter’s sermon were the Jews that were there in Jerusalem who had called for Jesus’ blood, but they are not the only audience to that command. We see this more clearly in Acts 17:30 where Paul, preaching to the Gentiles in Athens, tells them that God commands “all men everywhere to repent” (and since the Scriptures are to all men of all time, I would say this also has a time component to include all men of all time everywhere).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the direct audience to Peter’s sermon were the Jews that were there in Jerusalem who had called for Jesus’ blood, but they are not the only audience to that command. We see this more clearly in Acts 17:30 where Paul, preaching to the Gentiles in Athens, tells them that God commands “all men everywhere to repent” (and since the Scriptures are to all men of all time, I would say this also has a time component to include all men of all time everywhere).

I am not saying a person should not repent of sins, example a if a person is a liar. Sure they should repent of lying and stop lying.

But repentance is not a condition of receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. The only condition given is to believe/trust/exercise faith in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

The act of repenting is for all people unbelievers and believers.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But repentance is not a condition of receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. The only condition given is to believe/trust/exercise faith in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.
I’m sorry, but that statement is incorrect.
Rom 6:1 says we must not continue in sin thinking that grace will grow to cover all our continual sins. We must repent and cease sinning, because those who continue to live in unrepentant sin will not see Heaven (Luke 13:3, 5).

Yes, the unsaved must repent in order to be saved, and the saved must remain repentant in order to remain saved. This is most certainly a condition of salvation.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I’m sorry, but that statement is incorrect.
Rom 6:1 says we must not continue in sin thinking that grace will grow to cover all our continual sins. We must repent and cease sinning, because those who continue to live in unrepentant sin will not see Heaven (Luke 13:3, 5).

Yes, the unsaved must repent in order to be saved, and the saved must remain repentant in order to remain saved. This is most certainly a condition of salvation.

I 100% completely disagree with your belief, and that is all is is, is a man generated believe, With absolutely no basis (in The Bible) how a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life.

So i will leave you with your belief.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I 100% completely disagree with your belief, and that is all is is, is a man generated believe, With absolutely no basis (in The Bible) how a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life.

So i will leave you with your belief.
Sadly, most people who claim to be Christians today believe as you do. But Scripture says quite clearly that only those who repent, confess Jesus’ name publicly, and are baptized will receive forgiveness, salvation from sin, and inclusion in the Kingdom of God (Acts 2:38, 3:19, Rom 6:1-11, Col 2:11-14, 1 Pet 3:21, Rom 10:9-10, Eph 5;26, and many others).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

testifier_uk

Dec 2, 2021
Bolton
✟2,406.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

D Taylor: "I am not saying a person should not repent of sins, example a if a person is a liar. Sure they should repent of lying and stop lying.

The act of repenting is for all people unbelievers and believers."

The act of not repenting is for unbelievers, seen in Israel ( who entered not in because of unbelief) and the testimony speaks how they denied they had done wrong, so repented not of wickedness..

Jeremiah 8:6 I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.

Compare then Gods account of Nineveh, THE PEOPLE OF NINEVEH BELIEVED GOD, and fasted ( the true fast from wickedness (Isaiah 58:6) and cried to God and TURNED EVERY ONE FROM THEIR EVIL WAY * unlike Israel who did not believe God and turned not from their wickedness)..

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

Jesus makes the point how Israel is doomed ( condemned) because we hear how Nineveh REPENTED at the preaching of Jonah, and how Israel had FAILED TO REPENT, at the teaching of the Messiah ( because they had not faith)...

Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Further consideration is how the Corinthians also had failed to repent of their uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness they had committed...

2 Corinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Revelations gives us the final summation, how the people of this world ( Jews and Gentiles alike) worship devils, (believe in devils doctrines, and not in Gods testimonies) and this is them NOT REPENTING of the work ) evil work) of their hands...

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The act of not repenting is for unbelievers, seen in Israel ( who entered not in because of unbelief) and the testimony speaks how they denied they had done wrong, so repented not of wickedness..

Jeremiah 8:6 I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.

Compare then Gods account of Nineveh, THE PEOPLE OF NINEVEH BELIEVED GOD, and fasted ( the true fast from wickedness (Isaiah 58:6) and cried to God and TURNED EVERY ONE FROM THEIR EVIL WAY * unlike Israel who did not believe God and turned not from their wickedness)..

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

Jesus makes the point how Israel is doomed ( condemned) because we hear how Nineveh REPENTED at the preaching of Jonah, and how Israel had FAILED TO REPENT, at the teaching of the Messiah ( because they had not faith)...

Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Further consideration is how the Corinthians also had failed to repent of their uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness they had committed...

2 Corinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Revelations gives us the final summation, how the people of this world ( Jews and Gentiles alike) worship devils, (believe in devils doctrines, and not in Gods testimonies) and this is them NOT REPENTING of the work ) evil work) of their hands...

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Ok so there are people who do not repent, there is really nothing new about this.

And like your verse in 2 Corinthians, there were believers who had not repented of their actions.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sadly, most people who claim to be Christians today believe as you do. But Scripture says quite clearly that only those who repent, confess Jesus’ name publicly, and are baptized will receive forgiveness, salvation from sin, and inclusion in the Kingdom of God (Acts 2:38, 3:19, Rom 6:1-11, Col 2:11-14, 1 Pet 3:21, Rom 10:9-10, Eph 5;26, and many others).

Are you kidding, around here if a poll was conducted, it would be around 85 to 90% of people believe a person must repent to receive salvation.

Not sure where you are getting the idea that people do not believe that repentance is part of salvation. That is all i hear from preachers, the only exception are most free grace believes. They are the ones who really get it right.

Upvote 0

testifier_uk

Dec 2, 2021
Bolton
✟2,406.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you kidding, around here if a poll was conducted, it would be around 85 to 90% of people believe a person must repent to receive salvation.

Not sure where you are getting the idea that people do not believe that repentance is part of salvation. That is all i hear from preachers, the only exception are most free grace believes. They are the ones who really get it right.

People understand repentance is required for salvation, it is simple and straight forward.

What few do is not to not repent, as that would be them doing less than what many already do.

What many do is to repent, and to repent and to repent.

Few exceed the ones who do nothing, or not enough, which is both the ones who repent over and over, and also the ones who choose to do less thn them andx repent, either never, or if they feel like it ( as if it is not necessary.

So the one group takes it sefriously, but not enough and not sincerely at all.

The other group snuffs at it, and immediately does nothing of it. ( no repentance, speak the words/but do them not)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
People understand repentance is required for salvation, it is simple and straight forward.

What few do is not to not repent, as that would be them doing less than what many already do.

What many do is to repent, and to repent and to repent.

Few exceed the ones who do nothing, or not enough, which is both the ones who repent over and over, and also the ones who choose to do less thn them andx repent, either never, or if they feel like it ( as if it is not necessary.

So the one group takes it sefriously, but not enough and not sincerely at all.

The other group snuffs at it, and immediately does nothing of it. ( no repentance, speak the words/but do them not)

Actually correctly stated, people misunderstand The Bible and believe repentance is required for salvation. Which is a large part of the beliefs of many groups of denominations.

I completely reject this erroneous belief about how a person receives God's free gift of Eternal life. The common teaching of the false repentance Eternal Life (salvation).

This belief usually accompanies another false belief the loosing of ones Eternal Life (salvation).

Upvote 0