Where can I find someone with the gift of Distinguishing of Spirits (discernment)?

Sofiahh

Aug 19, 2022
San Antonio
✟20,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi!
I am having trouble with certain thoughts in my head and I just want to understand very carefully some of them with someone who has the Spiritual Gift of distinguishing between spirits, in order to gain better understanding of their sources.

Where could I search and find for such a person and how should I carefully test their spirit, such as in John 4:1-3?

Thank you!

*I meant "distinguishing between spirits" as the title

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.. the gifts operate as He (holy Spirit) moves. There is no such gift as discernment. Discerning of spirits is a gift yet it can't be used to discern when something is "out of wack." So discerning of spirits is the same as seeing or hearing in the realm of the spirits.

As a believer in Jesus Christ there is nothing that has more power then Christ in you so nothing has the right to control you. Me I just take authority over that thought. The classic say fear.. no I don't receive that for its written God has not give me the spirit of fear but of power love and a sound mind. In Phil "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

Now :) heres something for you I truly believe this. I can't remember that last time I thought or remembered this verse yet it just popped up in my head Isa 26:3 "You will keep him (Sofiahh) in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You."

Praise GOD glory to JESUS.. that is for you. Also for me it was sleeping and bad dreams but I would read every night before bed Psa 4. I still do to this day and those dreams have never come back. So you resist those thoughts tell them to go in JESUS name. Peter and John though it was about healing yet it applies here also. After the man was healed they said why do you look at us as if we did this by our own power. That name faith in that name Healed that man.

So you speak that name.. even those thoughts have to come in to order so to speak. Now me I would repent .. thats to make sure there is nothing between me and Him and then just ask Him. See when He talks its always with peace love never fear worry doubt. The fruits of the spirit "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Again nothing has the right to control you. Growing up lol always heard and its TRUE the mind is Satans play ground. Praying for you.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi!
I am having trouble with certain thoughts in my head and I just want to understand very carefully some of them with someone who has the Spiritual Gift of distinguishing between spirits, in order to gain better understanding of their sources.

Where could I search and find for such a person and how should I carefully test their spirit, such as in John 4:1-3?

Thank you!

People who can discern spirits, tend to avoid trouble. So if you're having trouble of that nature, it might be difficult to locate someone of that nature.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,582.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A question for other Spirit-filled believers. I apologize in advance if my terminology is slightly off, but hopefully you can still discern my meaning.

Re: discerning of Spirits. Do you ever get the sense that something is off with someone, sometimes perhaps a problem with a believer that can be helped, or indeed sense a more serious issue with someone- something being definitely not right there, stay away fast. I'm meaning something above and beyond what you can see with the senses. I sometimes do. What do you say? God Bless :)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟930,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

Thank you!

The Word of God is able to discern...
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, even penetrating as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

• Agree
Reactions: Sofiahh
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi!

Thank you!

My wife has the gift of identifying evil spirits, if that is what you mean. It's a genuine gift.

Some years ago, I invited someone I knew to a meeting at a home. He got talking to the leader. The leader's wife said, "There is an occult spirit in the house". She had not seen the man. My acquaintance had been deep into astrology before he had been saved. He'd never been delivered of the evil spirit.

As a principle, if you are not choosing to think a thought, it is from an evil spirit. That's what 2 Corinthians 10:5 is referring to when it says that we should take every thought captive to obey Christ. Much trouble would be avoided if Christians refused to accept such thoughts.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟207,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

Thank you!

I think you mean 1 John 4:1-3. I discern spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟207,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A question for other Spirit-filled believers. I apologize in advance if my terminology is slightly off, but hopefully you can still discern my meaning.

Re: discerning of Spirits. Do you ever get the sense that something is off with someone, sometimes perhaps a problem with a believer that can be helped, or indeed sense a more serious issue with someone- something being definitely not right there, stay away fast. I'm meaning something above and beyond what you can see with the senses. I sometimes do. What do you say? God Bless :)
Sounds like you're talking about demonic possession or oppression. I can't say for certain I've ever met someone who is possessed, but sometimes I wonder.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,582.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you're talking about demonic possession or oppression. I can't say for certain I've ever met someone who is possessed, but sometimes I wonder.

Hello! Thank you for your reply, most kind. Yes. I think I have met several over the years. There's someone I sometimes see at church these days, I'm getting a bad sense from them. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟207,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello! Thank you for your reply, most kind. Yes. I think I have met several over the years. There's someone I sometimes see at church these days, I'm getting a bad sense from them. God Bless :)
Sometimes I get a bad sense from someone and it's just that they're in pain. I simply say forgive me for asking but I'm getting the feeling that something may be wrong and I need to ask if you're okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟810,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think that can be approoriate.

Agree Discerning is different from discerning of spirits. The gift of discerning of spirits operates under the direction of the Holy Spirit. (I Cor 12).

It's not the discerning of evil spirits only.

Discerning of spirits -distinguishes between the source of info- either evil or Godly spirits. "But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?" (Acts 5:3) Plus his wife (v 9)

Then here's an example of the Godly - "And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision." (Gal 2:9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi!

Thank you!

It's a little more complicated than that because I have once tested a spirit who passed 1 John 4:1-3 and still ended up to be an evil spirit!

You need to be a good study of Christ's character like the "beloved disciple" who recognized Christ simply with the few words He said. Unfortunately, even this can be subjective since individual people can have different opinion on how Christ would behave in any situation.

Why a good approximation of Christ's character is because a true follower of Christ whether a person or a spirit would would act similarly.

Upvote 0

Sofiahh

Aug 19, 2022
San Antonio
✟20,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi.. the gifts operate as He (holy Spirit) moves. There is no such gift as discernment. Discerning of spirits is a gift yet it can't be used to discern when something is "out of wack." So discerning of spirits is the same as seeing or hearing in the realm of the spirits.

As a believer in Jesus Christ there is nothing that has more power then Christ in you so nothing has the right to control you. Me I just take authority over that thought. The classic say fear.. no I don't receive that for its written God has not give me the spirit of fear but of power love and a sound mind. In Phil "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

Now :) heres something for you I truly believe this. I can't remember that last time I thought or remembered this verse yet it just popped up in my head Isa 26:3 "You will keep him (Sofiahh) in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You."

Praise GOD glory to JESUS.. that is for you. Also for me it was sleeping and bad dreams but I would read every night before bed Psa 4. I still do to this day and those dreams have never come back. So you resist those thoughts tell them to go in JESUS name. Peter and John though it was about healing yet it applies here also. After the man was healed they said why do you look at us as if we did this by our own power. That name faith in that name Healed that man.

So you speak that name.. even those thoughts have to come in to order so to speak. Now me I would repent .. thats to make sure there is nothing between me and Him and then just ask Him. See when He talks its always with peace love never fear worry doubt. The fruits of the spirit "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Again nothing has the right to control you. Growing up lol always heard and its TRUE the mind is Satans play ground. Praying for you.

Thank you so much for this. It made me cry as I've been going through a rough time and it also brought me a lot of peace. I've been praying to God a lot specifically concerning that I may be at peace with Him, that I can be with him through Jesus and the fact you said that verse mentioning perfect peace really hit me. Thank you!!!

Upvote 0

Sofiahh

Aug 19, 2022
San Antonio
✟20,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My wife has the gift of identifying evil spirits, if that is what you mean. It's a genuine gift.

Some years ago, I invited someone I knew to a meeting at a home. He got talking to the leader. The leader's wife said, "There is an occult spirit in the house". She had not seen the man. My acquaintance had been deep into astrology before he had been saved. He'd never been delivered of the evil spirit.

As a principle, if you are not choosing to think a thought, it is from an evil spirit. That's what 2 Corinthians 10:5 is referring to when it says that we should take every thought captive to obey Christ. Much trouble would be avoided if Christians refused to accept such thoughts.

Thank you for your help! I wonder if I could talk to you more in private about that! I want to make sure that if I'm fighting something, that I may be fighting with supervision. I've been having issues with past likings, desires etc from the world and I am trying to leave them behind. Maybe they are causing me trouble still, along with some other fears.

By the way, your story reminded me of a story from a pastor I know that said he had a headache when he entered a cabin for vacations, turns out they found out there was a dreamcatcher inside it and they had to ask the landlord to move it outside. His headache then disappeared.
I wonder also.. I have a friend. She is not a Christian but she has told me of 2 people that we know currently that give her a very bad sense. She has to leave the room or place they are in at certain points. She is unseemingly very intuitive which is odd considering she is the most detached person I know. She cannot describe it but it is just a very off feeling. I wonder what she might be going through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for your help! I wonder if I could talk to you more in private about that! I want to make sure that if I'm fighting something, that I may be fighting with supervision. I've been having issues with past likings, desires etc from the world and I am trying to leave them behind. Maybe they are causing me trouble still, along with some other fears.

By the way, your story reminded me of a story from a pastor I know that said he had a headache when he entered a cabin for vacations, turns out they found out there was a dreamcatcher inside it and they had to ask the landlord to move it outside. His headache then disappeared.
I wonder also.. I have a friend. She is not a Christian but she has told me of 2 people that we know currently that give her a very bad sense. She has to leave the room or place they are in at certain points. She is unseemingly very intuitive which is odd considering she is the most detached person I know. She cannot describe it but it is just a very off feeling. I wonder what she might be going through.
Certainly unbelievers have intuition. The spirit of an individual exists still (that's where intuition is located). However, the spirit is dead to God and most people live according to thought, feeling and self will. Children are usually intuitive but education and experiences suppress that aspect of their being over time.

Those who are "spiritual" are involved in the occult. Demons know stuff too and will lead people into deception by feeding them that knowledge. Demons do not know the future. However, they can cause things to happen if people accept their lying suggestions. I've experienced that myself.

I'm happy to talk to you privately. I just got back from my honeymoon so I'm still getting back to normal. Feel free to message me and I'll reply as soon as I can.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Sofiahh

Aug 19, 2022
San Antonio
✟20,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Certainly unbelievers have intuition. The spirit of an individual exists still (that's where intuition is located). However, the spirit is dead to God and most people live according to thought, feeling and self will. Children are usually intuitive but education and experiences suppress that aspect of their being over time.

Those who are "spiritual" are involved in the occult. Demons know stuff too and will lead people into deception by feeding them that knowledge. Demons do not know the future. However, they can cause things to happen if people accept their lying suggestions. I've experienced that myself.

I'm happy to talk to you privately. I just got back from my honeymoon so I'm still getting back to normal. Feel free to message me and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thank you so much for your help! For some reason I can't 'Start a conversation' with you, as the option doesn't appear when clicking your prof pic. I'm preeetty new to the forum so I don't know yet what functions are available or given to a new member like me. You could start by messaging me first, if that works!

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟207,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your reply! I wonder if there could be a way to carry this convo in private. If not, what should I do in order to get help for it overall?
You can contact me privately by clicking on childeye 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi!

Thank you!

Hey; don't know if what you seek is the same but I have had a gift of discerning spirits from about 10 on, and something happened to me at that age that coincides but a another story for another time.. I have always been able to tell if someone has a bad spirit or good one from that age on without fail. That is a gift from GOD and it has never failed. It is when my spirit discerns another spirit and almost instantly I get the feeling the person is not a good person or an easy feeling if they have a good spirit. Like I said it has never failed and has helped me to deal with those with a bad spirit with caution. I can tell rather a person is trustworthy or not; a good spirit or not. It is real and it is a gift of spiritual discernment.
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi!

Thank you!

I agree with some others on here that the gift is through the holy spirits leading. He has led me in a couple of situations with other people, but it's mostly to show what spirit they are following (if not following God), as for the thoughts, some days I'm good at knowing when the enemy drops a fishing line, some days I feel exhausted trying to be aware them... lately I think it's better to focus on God and ask for his help regarding these things. You should know that just about everyone is under the same attack on the mind from the enemy, you aren't alone.

I have had troubles with thoughts most of my life, you don't have to answer here, but does your past involve trauma of some kind? Sometimes circumstances in life is a seed from the enemy and if we start to believe the lies it can open the door.

Upvote 0