What's the difference between demon possession and oppression?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟90,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The visible and invisible universe consists of two realms, vertical and horizontal. Demons are beings existing in the spiritual (verticle) realm. The spiritual realm is composed of dark (invisible, non-baryonic) matter. The two realms coexist in the same space. Physical motions affect the physical realm. Spiritual motions affect the spiritual realm. They do not interact easily. When they do, the observable effects are the products of a miracle. Another way for a spirit to effect change in the horizontal realm is by possessing a human's spirit. From there, it can control his volition.

Can a Christian have a demon?

Demons can attack a Christian's mind, but they cannot occupy his spirit because the Paraclete dwells there. See also Can Satan put thoughts into your mind?.

Also, not everyone who calls himself a Christian has the Paraclete dwell in him. Demons can indeed possess these.

Mark 5:

2 when Jesus had stepped out of the boat, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit.
with
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

This man has an unclean spirit in him. Later, verse 15 shows that he is demon-possessed.

4 for he had often been bound with shackles and chains, but he wrenched the chains apart, and he broke the shackles in pieces.
He has supernatural strength through the demon-possession.

Jesus delivered him.

15 they came to Jesus and saw the demon-possessed man, the one who had had the legion, sitting there, clothed and in his right mind, and they were afraid.
possessed
δαιμονιζόμενον (daimonizomenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1139: To be possessed, be under the power of an evil-spirit or demon. Middle voice from daimon; to be exercised by a demon.

The word appears 13 times.

I posit demon possession to mean demons occupying a person's spirit in order to control his mind and body through his volition.

Elsewhere in Acts 10:

38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.
oppressed
καταδυναστευομένους (katadynasteuomenous)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2616: To overpower, quell, treat harshly. From kata and a derivative of dunastes; to exercise dominion against, i.e. Oppress.

The word appears only 2 times.

I posit demon oppression as demons occupying a person's mind and body but not the spirit/volition.

Do demons cause mental illnesses?

Yes, sometimes.

How can they affect Christians?

Demons can oppress the mind of a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the use of the healing leaves on the new earth?

What's the difference between demon possession and oppression?

I have to ask, Tony:

Are you an Independent Fundamental Baptist?

Or have you been?

It's almost like we go to the same church.

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟90,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian