What is the worlds worst sin?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible talks about different punishments based on the sins unbelievers have committed. But which is the worst sin that a person could possibly commit? I know Jesus talked about the unforgivable sin but that was rejecting Christ until your final breath. My guess would be that homosexuality or perhaps abortion/murder would be the worst sin. After all an entire nation was destroyed because of homosexuality and taking the life of another including your own child has got to be one of the worst sins a person can commit. Or am i missing something here?.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible talks about different punishments based on the sins unbelievers have committed. But which is the worst sin that a person could possibly commit? I know Jesus talked about the unforgivable sin but that was rejecting Christ until your final breath. My guess would be that homosexuality or perhaps abortion/murder would be the worst sin. After all an entire nation was destroyed because of homosexuality and taking the life of another including your own child has got to be one of the worst sins a person can commit. Or am i missing something here?.
The worst sin is rejecting Jesus Christ of Nazareth then there is no forgivness and the second death will prevail. This would be sinning unto death, the unforgivable sin.
Blessings.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The worst sin is rejecting Jesus Christ of Nazareth then there is no forgivness and the second death will prevail. This would be sinning unto death, the unforgivable sin.
Blessings.

If that is the case wouldn't all unbelievers be punished the same because all unbelievers have denied Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, these are known as anti- Christs.

But the Bible says that people are going to be judged based on what they do in this life. If all were punished the same because of dying in unbelief (which is what earns them punishment I agree) than that would be going against scripture. Wouldn't there be a worser sin than dying in unbelief if say the sin of homosexuality gives you a worse sentence than say murder or the other way around?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
After unbelief, shedding innocent blood seems to be at the top of the list for unbelievers.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
After unbelief, shedding innocent blood seems to be at the top of the list for unbelievers.

Right, murder seemed to have carried the most worst sentence in the law. I know Leviticus is a boring read but it helps people understand what sins are worse than others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The worst sin is covetousness. It is often synonymous with idolatry (Colossians 3:5; Ephesians 5:5; 1 John 2:15-17; etc.). It is the base form of the other "deadly" sins such as lust, greed, and pride. Desire is the foot in the door of temptation, the mother of original sin.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right, murder seemed to have carried the most worst sentence in the law. I know Leviticus is a boring read but it helps people understand what sins are worse than others.
Actually, Leviticus is the seedbed of NT theology.

There is a whole thread on this forum from 10 years ago to that effect.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the Bible says that people are going to be judged based on what they do in this life. If all were punished the same because of dying in unbelief (which is what earns them punishment I agree) than that would be going against scripture. Wouldn't there be a worser sin than dying in unbelief if say the sin of homosexuality gives you a worse sentence than say murder or the other way around?
16For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The worst sin is covetousness. It is often synonymous with idolatry (Colossians 3:5; Ephesians 5:5; 1 John 2:15-17; etc.). It is the base form of the other "deadly" sins such as lust, greed, and pride. Desire is the foot in the door of temptation, the mother of original sin.

I can see why God would be so against idolatry what you said makes sense. Worshipping false gods has got to be one of the worst sins out there to God. I mean the punishment for murder is death. The punishment for idolatry is way worse.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, Leviticus is the seedbed of NT theology.

There is a whole thread on this forum from 10 years ago to that effect.

I might be interested in giving that thread a read I haven't heard of it. When they fix the search function do you think you could link to it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,197,346.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The worst sin is the one I don't repent of.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah not how this works. Just how are we measuring this? We know some "groups" believe different things when it comes to sin yet that is not what God says. Do we really think God looks at those that lie vs those that murder differently? Think of it like one door labeled "SIN". Yes in this world a lie does nothing but murder you get locked up. That murder the price is death. You lie that price is death. The wages of "sin" is death. Christ told who you are of your Father the devil? No middle ground here. With God or with Satan. Measure the sins all we want but you still have to pick a side.

Amen to "the one I don't repent of"

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Out of the deadly sins to Catholics, is there a sin that would be the worst of all?
I would say Pride.

Taken from the link that Akita provided in post #3:
"Pride (superbia), also known as hubris (from Ancient Greek ὕβρις) or futility. It is considered the original and worst of the seven deadly sins on almost every list, the most demonic. It is also thought to be the source of the other capital sins. Pride is the opposite of humility."

Arguably this was the sin that led to satan's rebellion. (Ezekiel 28:17)

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would say Pride.

Taken from the link that Akita provided in post #3:
"Pride (superbia), also known as hubris (from Ancient Greek ὕβρις) or futility. It is considered the original and worst of the seven deadly sins on almost every list, the most demonic. It is also thought to be the source of the other capital sins. Pride is the opposite of humility."

Arguably this was the sin that led to satan's rebellion. (Ezekiel 28:17)

I would have to agree. Pride is the easiest sin and one of the worst to fall into.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I read that Billy Graham was once asked this question, and his response was "idolatry".

I didn't understand it at the time, but I now agree with it:
  1. What did the 1st commandment warn against?
  2. What sin did God say would get Israel kicked out of the promised land?
  3. What sin actually did get the Northern Kingdom destroyed, never to appear again?
The answer to all of these was the worship of other gods. God's patience appears to overlook a lot of things, but persistent disloyalty doesn't seem to be one of them.

Upvote 0