What is the purpose of home church if...

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gathering together is for the purpose of edification teaching and training ,so if we are inactive in any exterior action of practical application of the Gospel then we gather together to almost NO benefit,we are neither obeying God nor are we able to teach others how to Obey God .because we cannot train a person is what we do not practice . every one knows a child will do as you do not as you say.
gathering together has NEVER been just for the sake of gathering together .

if I was able to train each of you to make one disciple a year. Then the disciple you made was capable of making one disciple a year, and their disciples would also make one disciple a year.”

…after one year, there would we twenty disciple-makers.
…after two years, there would be 40 disciple-makers.
…after three years, there would be 80 disciple-makers.
…after four years, there would be 160 disciple-makers.
…after five years, there would be 320 disciple-makers.
…after ten years, there would be 10,240 disciple-makers.
…after fifteen years, there would be 327,680 disciple-makers.
…after seventeen years, there would be 1,310,720 disciple-makers… more than the population of Zanzibar!
…after twenty-two years, there would be 41,943,040 disciple-makers… more than the population of Tanzania!
…after twenty-seven years, there would be 1,342,177,280 disciple-makers… more than the population of Africa!
…after thirty years, there would be 10,737,418,240 disciple-makers… more than the population of the planet!

each home church which should never be more then 10 people is to grow up thier little spiritual family in the work of the gospel and send them out to get thier own spiritual families and grow them up too
No church is effective, neither mainline or house church, if the believers do not ask for bread, revelation, everyday. When you put a teacher in between you and God, you're disobeying the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No church is effective, neither mainline or house church, if the believers do not ask for bread, revelation, everyday. When you put a teacher in between you and God, you're disobeying the Bible.
it is evident from your last two posts that you have not yet begun to do it .
yes to take up your cross is to put to death that which YOU desire in order to GO and DO that which God desire .The verses you quote are not a definition of a disciple they are saying what you must do to BE one . You must give up the course of life you want to take in order to go and do Gods will .
and we have already covered the basics of what HIS will is ,he outlines it very clearly in the great commission.
an its not putting a teacher between you and God when JESUS said ... make more disciples and TEACH THEM to observe all I have commanded you. the teacher is one who is doing what god commands in the great commission and then shows the new disciple HOW to do it too just as he learned before him. this is called disciplining one another and it is NOT done by ONE man at the front. Especially when /if they are not doing it themselves.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it is evident your last two posts that you have not yet begun tfromo do it .
Do what?
yes to take up your cross is to put to death that which YOU desire in order to GO and DO that which God desire .
Wrong. Picking up a cross is to give a sign. Moses asked God to help him in persuading Israel to leave Egypt. Why should people listen to you when you tell them to leave mammon unless they know God is backing you up? HOWEVER it still takes courage to perform the sign, to pick up the cross.
The verses you quote are not a definition of a disciple they are saying what you must do to BE one .
Wrong. If you leave serving mammon, you ARE a disciple of God.
You must give up the course of life you want to take in order to go and do God's will .
I want to follow the course of life commanded by Christ.
and we have already covered the basics of what HIS will is ,he outlines it very clearly in the great commission.
Wrong. You don't even know what His will means.
an its not putting a teacher between you and God when JESUS said ... make more disciples and TEACH THEM to observe all I have commanded you. the teacher is one who is doing what god commands in the great commission and then shows the new disciple HOW to do it too just as he learned before him. this is called disciplining one another and it is NOT done by ONE man at the front. Especially when /if they are not doing it themselves.
Wrong. He said we need to ask for bread every day. If our earthly father knows to give us good things, will our heavenly Father not give revelation, detailed explanation, if we ask? That's why Christ commanded us not to call anyone Rabbi, because no one can give detailed explanation that is supported by Scripture except God.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do what?

Wrong. Picking up a cross is to give a sign. Moses asked God to help him in persuading Israel to leave Egypt. Why should people listen to you when you tell them to leave mammon unless they know God is backing you up? HOWEVER it still takes courage to perform the sign, to pick up the cross.

Wrong. If you leave serving mammon, you ARE a disciple of God.

I want to follow the course of life commanded by Christ.

Wrong. You don't even know what His will means.

Wrong. He said we need to ask for bread every day. If our earthly father knows to give us good things, will our heavenly Father not give revelation, detailed explanation, if we ask? That's why Christ commanded us not to call anyone Rabbi, because no one can give detailed explanation that is supported by Scripture except God.
again your post displays you have a disconnect between theology and reality .
do you Go heal the sick preach the gospel drive out devils baptize people and teach them to do the same ?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clarification.

DISCIPLE:GREEK
G3101
μαθητής
mathētēs
math-ay-tes'
A learner, that is, pupil: - disciple.
2. Understanding The Meaning of the Term “Disciple”

Meaning of the Term “Disciple”
IA. The Term “Disciple” and the Concept of “Discipleship”
1B. BASIC MEANING OF ΜΑΘΗΤΉΣ
The Greek term μαθητής (mathētēs) refers generally to any “student,” “pupil,” “apprentice,” or “adherent,” as opposed to a “teacher.” In the ancient world, however, it is most often associated, with people who were devoted followers of a great religious leader or teacher of philosophy.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
2. Understanding The Meaning of the Term “Disciple”

Meaning of the Term “Disciple”
IA. The Term “Disciple” and the Concept of “Discipleship”
1B. BASIC MEANING OF ΜΑΘΗΤΉΣ
The Greek term μαθητής (mathētēs) refers generally to any “student,” “pupil,” “apprentice,” or “adherent,” as opposed to a “teacher.” In the ancient world, however, it is most often associated, with people who were devoted followers of a great religious leader or teacher of philosophy.

You don't consider Jesus to be the teacher and you as the Disciple?

I think you know full well what it is Alithis is saying, your just splitting hairs at this point.
Because you disagree with him.

I don't say I agree with everything he says, but I do grasp the concept.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't consider Jesus to be the teacher and you as the Disciple?

I think you know full well what it is Alithis is saying, your just splitting hairs at this point.
Because you disagree with him.

I don't say I agree with everything he says, but I do grasp the concept.
You won't even SEE the Kingdom of God unless you are born again, repent, give up serving mammon, BECOME A DISCIPLE.

The kingdom of God isn't a vaporous entity. It's a powerful reality.

If you haven't entered, you aren't a disciple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You won't even SEE the Kingdom of God unless you are born again, repent, give up serving mammon, BECOME A DISCIPLE.

The kingdom of God isn't a vaporous entity. It's a powerful reality.

If you haven't entered, you aren't a disciple.

There you go, that wasn't hard was it.

I knew you knew what he was talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 2, 2018
Oklahoma City
✟15,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi!

When I was active in church, we had both small groups and the big church. I appreciated both.

The home church was quaint and intimate, like an extended family and the big church had its benefits like outreaches and other events.

From my limited perspective, I think both are beneficial and God smiles on both.

Sweetness in

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good discussion here. First of all a "house church" is not the end all answer to how we should gather to worship. We can follow the Holy Spirit in gatherings under trees, in mega churches, in small churches, in living rooms, in prison, on urine soaked inner city streets or just about anywhere else.
I am part of a group of house churches but the moment we start arrogantly thinking ours is the only way to do things we will destroy what we are called to do.
God's word says "They will know you by your love for one another." That means I am called to love all members His church. (In fact I am called to love everyone I encounter, not always easy and I can't say I always do a good job of that :doh:)
Back to the original question, remember that? A house church doesn't have to be a duplication of another type of church. Here are a few points.
A house church doesn't limit our growth if we keep multiplying every time we reach 15-20 people. You can keep growing without bigger, more expensive property.
In some house churches all members are required to use the gifts God has given us. It is not one person teaching and everyone else listening. It is people using their gifts of hospitality, edification, prophecy, etc. Of course you can do this in a larger church as well but if you have a very popular pastor who moves on you may end up with and empty building. House churches can survive without a central charismatic leader.
Some house churches require everyone to disciple and/or be discipled. In a small setting it is easy to know who is being discipled and who is not. It is the job of a pastor in the house church to see that happens. It is not for everyone and some folks don't stay long in churches like that but it is okay, and they should be encouraged and blessed as they leave for another church.
It is easier to try and emulate churches in the Book of Acts in smaller settings. There were lots of different churches in the Book of Acts and there is no set formula for how it is done. I don't think that was the intention of Luke when he wrote the book.
You don't need a paid staff in a small church. That will set you free to preach God's truth from the Bible without worrying about losing people and not making your rent/mortgage or payroll.
In small settings it is hard to hide out and people quickly get involved each others lives.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. He said a disciple was a person who did wondrous signs in Jesus's name. Unfortunately, Jesus said He never knew them.
Wow that is So out of context and false.
Where did you get that from.
He says he doesnt know them because they were workers of iniquity..
They were guilty of continuing in sin and they did good works trying to make up for thier guilt.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Multiply disciples?

Explain what a disciple is.

A disciple is not a person who overloads the Bible study table with confectionery called Rocky Road (like it says in the manuals they should do).

I told them the only rocky road should be the one under our feet. They sneered. They had one of their secretive splits. Half walked out and went to another church. At the next church the pastor then had a nervous breakdown.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the purpose of home church if...all we do is a miniturisation of an larger institutionlized gathering.

what is any one trying to achieve when they sit around in a weekly meeting parroting doctrine pointing out the errors of large churches?
It risks becoming a mini pity party.
i will take house church over large organized systems anyday.
BUT we gather to build up so we can then go out and DO the will of God. if we do not grow up and go out and become more house churches then gathring has lost all sensible reason.

I was going to look into the house church movement. Now I have my doubts. Do you find house churches talking smack about large churches a lot?

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was going to look into the house church movement. Now I have my doubts. Do you find house churches talking smack about large churches a lot?
Not having a local home church, an alternative that I have experienced has been a virtual meeting. One is only interactive in the chat section as we all listen to a pre-recorded sermon, and the other is a live and very lively and interactive study that meets twice weekly. Both have been helpful.

Neither of them "talks smack" about the organizational churches, and I wouldn't be comfortable in a critical environment where people ridicule other people. Most of us have some involvement with the established local churches. With our personal understanding being imperfect, it seemed better to allow for agreement on those things where we can agree and room in those areas that have leeway.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most House churches I know of are in places not near to other large gatherings and meet a need; and they want the simplicity of sharing Holy Scripture with others of like-mind ---not about some doctrines. They believe in the "holy and royal priesthood" of all true believers (as 1 Peter 2 shows). One can learn some about such gatherings at the website: Biblecounsel.net, where one can learn about such Christians that have been going on for years. Some gatherings start out in a home and then grow large enough to need a building; yet the same basic Bible Only principles apply.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the purpose of the home church or institution church is the same.
Do you have reasons is not the same?

The Lord Jesus is still working today to sanctify the home church or institution church.

I understand why many are disheartened by home church or even institutional church. There is just too much self love !
You just find that many are afraid to call themselves sinners; many are unwilling to humble themselves to seek others’ forgiveness but just let it cold ; many are just uncomfortable about telling what they are in Christ in their workplace ; many just are afraid to defend what their faith in Christ.

Where are those who come to the light that others may see that your works are carried out in God?

Sure, they are many honest, sincere, and earnest Christians but why they are weak.

They are asleep but nobody dare to wake them up?
They are spiritually dead, even when they are spiritually dead, their soul is still living — that does not stop God to show His grace.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, -Ephesians 2:4
even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ'by grace you have been saved' -Ephesians 2:5

Why are many afraid to give themselves to God? Many dare not lose everything that you have and give to the poor. Many did not know when they can become God’s disciples?
Are God concerned about meager treasure in the world ? No! What is He concerned about ? He is concerned about THIS SELF LOVE that cause much sinning. SELF LOVE for your money, your career, persons or things!

Jesus is concerned about sanctifying His church from this SELF LOVE.
He desire a church that love Him above all else because He deserve our undivided love.

When the home church or institution church
have gained the strength to grasp His love, then they are filled with the fullness of God.

When Christ shine brightly in our hearts, those who dwell in the land of darkness, region and shadows of death will see THIS GREAT LIGHT in us.

Upvote 0