what is radical christianity?

Are Christians living in the United States Persecuted by Unbelievers?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • I Don't Know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jmann9784

Jul 13, 2021
Safford
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I have heard this thing floating around about a so called "Radical Christianity." Could someone please tell me what this is or just simply a little more about it?
Thank You.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Secular and Sacred
Secular and Sacred
I guess you couldn't get more radical than "God is dead" theology.
The debate was radical, and at its core questioned whether we
can still speak of God in a scientific age. God however refused
to be buried and the debate petered out.
As for radical Christianity perhaps it means different things
to different people.

See following
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,944,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟712,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know what "radical Christianity" is since there is only one Christianity, but in answer to your poll is there persecution of Christians in the U.S. I would say it's a "soft" persecution, instead of what everyone thinks of when they think of persecution.

soft persecution is likely the most detrimental to faith of all. No one wants one legal battle after the other like Jack Phillips, losing everything in the process, to lose admission into the college of their choice like these children and more, and as such, more and more we see a weaker public stance on matters of faith, unwilling to face discomfort for being a Christian, it's one thing to imagine dying for Christ, its another to say you might not get the best education, the better jobs etc.

That's not to say if your not actively seeing persecution in your life your not practicing Christianity correctly, it's just saying we are seeing more and more soft persecution of Christians in the public sphere.

A few books on the topic might be helpful to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I have heard this thing floating around about a so called "Radical Christianity." Could someone please tell me what this is or just simply a little more about it?
Thank You.
According to word usage in articles on the internet, it appears to mean those who have been "radicalized" - it appears there's a comparison to radicalized muslims in the mix too. In a sense, Radical Christianity is a form of extremism that is expected to become violent and terrorist in nature.

So in general, the creation or adaptation of the term is not a form of persecution, but a reaction to the fear of impending mob violence like the capitol riot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,159,159.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you do a web search for radical Christianity you’ll find that many different groups use it. It’s not typically associated with violence.

Secular and Sacred
Secular and Sacred
Kaseman in "Jesus Means Freedom" wrote
about a Dutch community on a Sunday facing flood damage as
the dykes broke. The police called the pastor
to see if the church could assist, to save the community.
It being Sunday there was debate.
The pastor suggested the church respond even if it meant breaking the sabbath
WWJD... respond with compassion
The parishioner was concerned Jesus was just a little too liberal.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you do a web search for radical Christianity you’ll find that many different groups use it. It’s not typically associated with violence.
I did, and it looks pretty violent.
upload_2021-7-13_7-14-31.png

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,159,159.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Bing gives a different picture. Anyway, the term has often been used to characterize everyone from the Amish to groups wanting radical obedience to Jesus. Here’s the web page for Radicallychristisn. Home - Radically Christian
Words are funny that way, the first thing that came to mind for me before looking it up was the term radical grace.

I understand it can mean that, but the present word usage context apparently is associated with radicalization.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A word that had similar usage decades ago was fundamentalist. (was applied to violent religious people) However, since the word usage since then softened the meaning - the term radical evolved this way. As time passes, this term will also soften and a new word will take on this meaning. Since it is shocking, it needs to keep changing form to retain its shock value.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟874,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank You.

I don't think "Radical Christianity" is a thing. Radical Orthodoxy is a thing that started with John Milbank.

Radical orthodoxy - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank You.
Welcome to CF. I believe a radical Christian is different than a persecuted Christian. A persecuted Christian is humble like many who live in counties who demonstrate aggression towards them. On the other hand a radical Christian demonstrates aggression towards non Christians like those who use hate as their Gospel message. Case in point, the Westboro Baptist Church who hate gay individuals. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank You.
It is a group of people or belief system that believes there view are more important than the rest. Extremist Muslims like the ones responsible for 9-11. When you try to enforce your religious and moral beliefs onto another person your a radical.

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what "radical Christianity" is since there is only one Christianity,
Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, there are plenty of different types of Christianity. But as for radical...compare radical Muslims.

Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know what "radical Christianity" is since there is only one Christianity, but in answer to your poll is there persecution of Christians in the U.S. I would say it's a "soft" persecution, instead of what everyone thinks of when they think of persecution.

soft persecution is likely the most detrimental to faith of all. No one wants one legal battle after the other like Jack Phillips, losing everything in the process, to lose admission into the college of their choice like these children and more, and as such, more and more we see a weaker public stance on matters of faith, unwilling to face discomfort for being a Christian, it's one thing to imagine dying for Christ, its another to say you might not get the best education, the better jobs etc.

That's not to say if your not actively seeing persecution in your life your not practicing Christianity correctly, it's just saying we are seeing more and more soft persecution of Christians in the public sphere.

A few books on the topic might be helpful to read.
I'm gonna bring up the most radical person for the Truth I know....DJT.. he has to be the most hated human there is in the US...now that's radical..For those who have never seen his one of his campaign rallies you're in for a treat..I've heard prayer, hymns, and the mention of God more than any prez ever...and for some odd reason ppl hate that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Isn't radical Christianity a follower of Jesus who believes the entire Bible as the Word of God - beyond the salvation Scriptures? lol
Not necessarily. Even the demons believe, and shudder in terror /because they know their fate. oops.... just saw you specified "follower of Jesus".... but realize also that demons when they talk to people will say or pretend to be angels of light and might say they /the demons/ follow Jesus or are from Jesus, like people might do also.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello. I have heard this thing floating around about a so called "Radical Christianity." Could someone please tell me what this is or just simply a little more about it? ... ...
As for radical Christianity perhaps it means different things
to different people.
Some might say it is a Christian who renounces sin.
But that would simply be a true Christian, not necessarily radical,
although by definition such a true Christian might be called radical, eh?

radical

răd′ĭ-kəl​

adjective​

1. Arising from or going to a root or source; basic.
  2. Departing markedly from the usual or customary; extreme or drastic.
  3. Relating to or advocating fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions, or institutions.

Upvote 0