What does it mean to speak the truth in love?

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ask this question since there are times when debates begin to be hurtful. I personally believe that the Truth does not need to be defended since it is the Truth that defends us. I also believe that the the truth does not hurt, rather it is the lie and deception we have believed that hurts when revealed. So I think our job is to simply speak the truth and let the truth stand on its own. However, I do think that when the pain of revealing lies is great that we should be kind and thoughtful in how we speak the truth. Sometimes the truth simply needs to be alluded to and at other times it needs to be bluntly spoken. This all takes spiritual discernment, in my opinion.

It seems to me that considering the meaning of the Greek word for godly love, agape, would be a starting point. And a thoughtful consideration of 1 Corinthians 13 would be another point.

What do you all think?

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I ask this question since there are times when debates begin to be hurtful. I personally believe that the Truth does not need to be defended since it is the Truth that defends us. I also believe that the the truth does not hurt, rather it is the lie and deception we have believed that hurts when revealed. So I think our job is to simply speak the truth and let the truth stand on its own. However, I do think that when the pain of revealing lies is great that we should be kind and thoughtful in how we speak the truth. Sometimes the truth simply needs to be alluded to and at other times it needs to be bluntly spoken. This all takes spiritual discernment, in my opinion.

It seems to me that considering the meaning of the Greek word for godly love, agape, would be a starting point. And a thoughtful consideration of 1 Corinthians 13 would be another point.

What do you all think?

As with, 'No offence, but ...' it just means being gratuitously rude.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Meanwhile we are called to love, not to be rude.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What do you all think?
What I think is that you are a good soul whose advice here is something we should keep in mind.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the truth hurts but it depends on the Spirit that it is said in.

For instance I can tell you that you are in sin, but say it in a condescending manner that is more judgements than edifying. That is sin itself.

Or I can tell you in a humble manner that enables you to find grace for repentance and forgiveness. This is why we should speak the truth in love. The Spirit in which we speak will a lot of times have an effect on how the people we speak to respond. IMHO

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand what you mean by "No offence..." being a warning that you will be offended. Similar to an East Coast saying, "I'm just saying..." I agree we should not be gratuitously rude.

However, I think not being rude is too simplistic. Jesus was rude to the Pharisees when he called them "vipers, snakes, whited sepuluchres" and I am sure there are other examples. I don't think he called them those things, though, until after he knew they had plotted to kill him.

But, thank you Catherine. All input is appreciated.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟109,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well said, DeerGlow. The golden rule is clearly a succinct definition of godly love. Thank you for your response.

I don't know. I may put my response back but I tend to speak too soon so I'll take some time to make sure it's what I should say.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

For instance I can tell you that you are in sin, but say it in a condescending manner that is more judgements than edifying. That is sin itself.

Or I can tell you in a humble manner that enables you to find grace for repentance and forgiveness. This is why we shouldn't speak the truth in love. The Spirit in which we speak will a lot of times have an effect on how the people we speak to respond. IMHO
You make a good point regarding how we say things. This reminds me of when I was a student at Christ for the Nations. One of the younger teachers used me as a butt of a joke. It hurt my feelings, but I understood that I had a personality that lent itself for that kind of thing, and I am sure that he believed that I could take it. So I let it go. However, the Lord did not let it go. He kept prompting me to speak to the man. I finally acquiesced to His promptings, and spoke privately to the man. I did not accuse him of being irresponsible. I merely told him that his using me as a butt of a joke in front of the class hurt my feelings. That was enough. He was contrite and regretful and profusely asked me for my forgiveness. I gave it and let him know I had no intention of bringing it up, except the Lord prompted me to talk to him.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know. I may put my response back but I tend to speak too soon so I'll take some time to make sure it's what I should say.
No problem. My mother sent me a sign that says, "Sometimes the best thing is to say nothing at all. And I usually realize it just after I said it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in truth is truth. However, it comes down to how we "say it".

Jesus came here to earth to take the punishment for our sins and to teach us because He loves us. He also spoke the truth in love, saying "repent of your sins" or "sin no more".

We mention to someone to repent of their sin's because we love them, and because we are to follow Christs footsteps, however, we best not be hypocritical about it.

We just have to remember the manner of how we say things:

Gal 5:22-Gal 5:23 KJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

We do these by the fruits of the Spirit, and use our discernment for when an "unfruitful" thought comes up when we are speaking to people, it never fails!

Praise God!!

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking in truth is truth. However, it comes down to how we "say it".

Jesus came here to earth to take the punishment for our sins and to teach us because He loves us. He also spoke the truth in love, saying "repent of your sins" or "sin no more".

We mention to someone to repent of their sin's because we love them, and because we are to follow Christs footsteps, however, we best not be hypocritical about it.

We just have to remember the manner of how we say things:

Gal 5:22-Gal 5:23 KJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

We do these by the fruits of the Spirit, and use our discernment for when an "unfruitful" thought comes up when we are speaking to people, it never fails!

Praise God!!
Thank you Evan. Agreed, truth is truth. How we say things matter as well. However, it is still more than that, in my opinion. Ecclesiastes says that there is a time and place for everything. Sometimes the most loving thing at that moment is to say nothing at all. Other times a blunt statement is the most loving thing to say. As you have said, we use our discernment for when an unfruitful thought comes up. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for the OP question

Interestingly enough the Greek word for rude in I Cor. 13 is referring to sexual advances but includes more than that. IOW's rude here doesn't just mean picking your nose in front of someone but rather it means truly being offensive in your behavior not just leaving your manners at home.

Likewise another word that is often misunderstood in I Cor. 13 is that of kind. The word kind in I Cor. 13 is a useful kindness. IOW's it does something useful. Where a smile is wonderful and sometimes is a useful kindness it isn't always and this is something we need to understand when it comes to loving others. Sometimes the person we smile at and feel righteous in doing so needs someone to listen or a dollar or maybe a cup of coffee and a friend not just a smile. For it to be love it needs to be useful to the receiver not just a feel good for us.

Just some thoughts for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the OP. It largely reflects my feelings on the matter.

There are 5 aspects of this I see off the top of my head.
1. Is our intent restoration, edification, correction, and the benefit of the recipient of our message? Or is our intent primarily to spout off, prove we are correct, and to stick our nose in where it is not helpful?
2. Have we prayerfully discerned if indeed that what we want to say is God's highest priority for that person or group at that time? Or is there some other issue that is really the core problem we should address first? Are we chasing symptoms or fixing real problems?
3. Have we discerned the most effective means of communicating?
4. Is the issue we plan on addressing really as clear cut as we think it is? There are some things about which there are legitimate differences of opinion among Christians.
5. Are we the person God wants to say it?

Here's the rough order of thinking I apply before jumping into anything.
1. I first look at my attitude and determine if it is about showing off my personal "greatness" or to help someone.
2. I then try to spiritually discern what the real issue is. I've observed that very often the most obvious stuff that most people focus on are often merely symptoms that are masking the real issue. I try to figure out what is really going on and needs to be addressed.
3. I then decide if I have something helpful to say or not that will help people grow spiritually. And most importantly, I seriously consider if I am the person to be saying it, or if this is for someone else to deal with.
4. I then try to figure out what is the best way of saying something in a way that is most likely to communicate clearly and with the most gentleness and patience possible. This is challenging because it is about determining how the recipient will best understand and consider my words; not about how I would prefer to hear them.

Some people are blunt communicators who want to deal with the immediate issue at hand and resolve it and can't stand it when people "beat around the bush". Other people are more indirect communicators for whom people's feelings are of great importance and feel personally attacked and dismissed when people are blunt. This is rooted partially in personality differences as well as cultural differences. As an example, imagine I am in a meeting and have some yogurt in my beard. A direct communicator sees the yogurt itself as a distraction and problem and goes after the yogurt, so in front of everyone says, "Dude, you've got yogurt on your face. Get rid of it." An indirect communicator is most concerned about my potential embarrassment and will catch my eye and discretely rub their face trying to indicate I should check mine. Now, if I'm a direct communicator, I'd prefer to be told and would probably look at the person rubbing their face and ask, "is something the matter?" in front of everyone. If I'm an indirect communicator, being called out for bad hygiene and unnecessarily embarrassed in front of everyone would hurt to some degree. Of course, "bluntness" and "indirectness" are somewhat ambiguous and on a continuum. But many people do tend to lean one direction or the other and a few quite strongly one way or the other.

May what we perceive as our factually accurate words never harden a heart through discouragement, condemnation, and error because of our own arrogance, clumsiness, ignorance, and impatience in speaking them. May our words spoken to the best of our ability and love bring life, encouragement, enlightenment, and a zeal to move forward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Walking in Love is much more then simply not being rude. This includes speaking truth in love.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 humility, self control. Nothing in the Torah stands against such things.

Love is patient and kind, not jealous, not boastful,
5 not proud, rude or selfish, not easily angered,
and it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not gloat over other people’s sins
but takes its delight in the truth.
7 Love always bears up, always trusts,
always hopes, always endures.

Blessings
FCJ

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Or I can tell you in a humble manner that enables you to find grace for repentance and forgiveness. This is why we should speak the truth in love. The Spirit in which we speak will a lot of times have an effect on how the people we speak to respond. IMHO
amen...Love has a goal and the goal is reconciliation/restoration. Without this goal it is not love.

Upvote 0

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What do you all think?
I think the above statement is wright on time about The Truth, I think also that we all need to take heed of ourselves, in words, and in deeds, to see clearly what spirit we is of before we speak or do anything.

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Corinthians 13:5, 2 Peter 1:10-11 - English Standard Version

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like the OP. It largely reflects my feelings on the matter.

There are 5 aspects of this I see off the top of my head.
1. Is our intent restoration, edification, correction, and the benefit of the recipient of our message? Or is our intent primarily to spout off, prove we are correct, and to stick our nose in where it is not helpful?
2. Have we prayerfully discerned if indeed that what we want to say is God's highest priority for that person or group at that time? Or is there some other issue that is really the core problem we should address first? Are we chasing symptoms or fixing real problems?
3. Have we discerned the most effective means of communicating?
4. Is the issue we plan on addressing really as clear cut as we think it is? There are some things about which there are legitimate differences of opinion among Christians.
5. Are we the person God wants to say it?

Here's the rough order of thinking I apply before jumping into anything.
1. I first look at my attitude and determine if it is about showing off my personal "greatness" or to help someone.
2. I then try to spiritually discern what the real issue is. I've observed that very often the most obvious stuff that most people focus on are often merely symptoms that are masking the real issue. I try to figure out what is really going on and needs to be addressed.
3. I then decide if I have something helpful to say or not that will help people grow spiritually. And most importantly, I seriously consider if I am the person to be saying it, or if this is for someone else to deal with.
4. I then try to figure out what is the best way of saying something in a way that is most likely to communicate clearly and with the most gentleness and patience possible. This is challenging because it is about determining how the recipient will best understand and consider my words; not about how I would prefer to hear them.

Some people are blunt communicators who want to deal with the immediate issue at hand and resolve it and can't stand it when people "beat around the bush". Other people are more indirect communicators for whom people's feelings are of great importance and feel personally attacked and dismissed when people are blunt. This is rooted partially in personality differences as well as cultural differences. As an example, imagine I am in a meeting and have some yogurt in my beard. A direct communicator sees the yogurt itself as a distraction and problem and goes after the yogurt, so in front of everyone says, "Dude, you've got yogurt on your face. Get rid of it." An indirect communicator is most concerned about my potential embarrassment and will catch my eye and discretely rub their face trying to indicate I should check mine. Now, if I'm a direct communicator, I'd prefer to be told and would probably look at the person rubbing their face and ask, "is something the matter?" in front of everyone. If I'm an indirect communicator, being called out for bad hygiene and unnecessarily embarrassed in front of everyone would hurt to some degree. Of course, "bluntness" and "indirectness" are somewhat ambiguous and on a continuum. But many people do tend to lean one direction or the other and a few quite strongly one way or the other.

May what we perceive as our factually accurate words never harden a heart through discouragement, condemnation, and error because of our own arrogance, clumsiness, ignorance, and impatience in speaking them. May our words spoken to the best of our ability and love bring life, encouragement, enlightenment, and a zeal to move forward.
Excellent answer, Gandalf. A shorter way to say what you said is to think before you speak. Or as James said, to be quick to hear and slow to speak. Another great point. I, too, try to resist the temptation to show how "great" my answers can be. It really is a struggle with all the greatness to show! [tongue in cheek]. A radio host says that listening is not waiting for your turn to speak. I go back and forth between bluntness and indirectness. Truth be told, I would probably tell you in front of everyone that you had yogurt on your cheek.

In the literary thread on the Lord of the Rings I watched the hour long video of the professor discussing the characteristics of the ring. It brought invisibility, immortality and coercion, he said. Then he asked where do we find invisibility today? Someone answered, on the internet. We use avatars and anonymous names. The problem with invisibility, he said, is that it always leads to abuse, from which he was quoting Plato's Republic. Our online discussions here at CF have that "invisibility" which lends itself to rudeness and not speaking the truth in love.

Upvote 0

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Evan. Agreed, truth is truth. How we say things matter as well. However, it is still more than that, in my opinion. Ecclesiastes says that there is a time and place for everything. Sometimes the most loving thing at that moment is to say nothing at all. Other times a blunt statement is the most loving thing to say. As you have said, we use our discernment for when an unfruitful thought comes up. Thanks again.

YES! Time and place does have a huge roll! Thank you for that because I know exactly what you are saying.

Upvote 0