Minnesota
✟222,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The classes “place students into identitarian groupings based on racial, sexual, and political characteristics to create a rigid framework amongst students where they only see each other as either the ‘oppressor’ or the ‘oppressed,’” the executive summary of the 33-page report states.
And now everyone should realize why there is so much division in our country. So many universities are teaching Marxist-based ideology. Will our freedoms survive?

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh look.
Another New York Post article. Well, if there's one thing I know about about a New York Post article, they DEFINITELY are really good at "bringing people together". Let's see.

The classes “place students into identitarian groupings based on racial, sexual, and political characteristics to create a rigid framework amongst students where they only see each other as either the ‘oppressor’ or the ‘oppressed,’” the executive summary of the 33-page report states.
Huh...interesting intellectual exercise. Of course, I'm not so fragile as to get upset by an activity like that.

And now everyone should realize why there is so much division in our country.
Because of THEM. Oh...I know all about THEM.

So many universities are teaching Marxist-based ideology.
1713411867216.png

Will our freedoms survive?
Why wouldn't they? What if just did cool stuff like help a bigot recognize what they are doing? Maybe help a racist come to terms. Or perhaps keep an incel from killing women.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh look.
Another New York Post article. Well, if there's one thing I know about about a New York Post article, they DEFINITELY are really good at "bringing people together"
People attack the messenger because they can't win an argument on substance. Remember who actually promised to unify the country?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the chain of links to the Speech First document. It's useful to listen to that point of view, and I've filed it away for future reference.

Obviously, I don't think it's a bad thing that lots of colleges and universities are teaching ethics to their students. But the document is a good reminder that rules and laws have limits in teaching ethical behavior. If we don't actually persuade people that inclusion of others is a good thing, then all those rules and laws will just be perceived as persecution.

It's also a good reminder that the academic environment has to carefully balance free speech on the one hand with the need to teach what is good and true on the other hand. Part of it, I think, is always being prepared to explain why the inclusion of others is a good thing; explaining stuff is our mission, after all.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And now everyone should realize why there is so much division in our country. So many universities are teaching Marxist-based ideology. Will our freedoms survive?
Learning about other peoples and cultures in college!?

Odd thing to get outraged over, IME.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Learning about other peoples and cultures in college!?

Odd thing to get outraged over, IME.
Teaching racism and hatred and categorizing people by the color of their skin, for graduation or anything else, is fundamentally wrong and should be opposed by all. Joe Biden was dead wrong in opposing busing, according to Joe's explanation because it would create a "racial jungle." Children should have the same chance no matter what the color of their skin. Marxism and spinoffs of Marxism like CRT and such don't end well for the masses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟280,042.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What are "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)-related topics" or content? The report says that DEI courses are anything that includes the following language:

For the purposes of this report, DEI courses are courses that contain explicit DEI language in their titles, learning outcomes, and/or course descriptions. We also counted any campus that had a gen ed category that was listed as or similar to “Diversity Requirement.”
The DEI language we screened for in the above categories are:
  • “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion,” “Diversity and Inclusion;” and “Equity;”
  • Social justice, activism, liberation;
  • Power, power structures, intersectionality;
  • Race, racism, and antiracism, systemic racism, institutional racism, white supremacy, white guilt, white fragility, white responsibility, critical race theory, black power, black liberation;
  • Marxism, privilege, class, socioeconomic status, inequality;
  • Sex, sexuality, sexual orientation LGBTQ+, queer, gender, critical gender theory;
  • Feminism, toxic masculinity, male privilege, misogyny, gender roles;
  • Minority, marginalized, disenfranchised studies;
  • Ableism;
  • Bias, implicit bias.
What an absolutely boneheaded list.

I have degrees in economics and history (and I dropped out of a psychology degree). I learned a lot about Marxism (because Marxism is pretty fundamental to the history of economic theory and it's covered in a LOT of economics courses). My history degree also included a lot of learning about issues like race, bias, minorities, feminism, class, social justice and socioeconomic status. Was my university mandating DEI topics? No. They were just teaching me economics and history.

I just went onto the website for my old university, which helpfully lets you search course descriptions.

Marxism is mentioned in 11 courses - four in economics, four government/international relations and three cultural and gender studies courses. Marx is mentioned in a further 9 - mostly legal, philosophy and politics courses. Bias is mentioned in more than a dozen courses - most of them statistics related. That includes courses on biostatistics, econometrics, epidemiology and clinical statistics. Gender is mentioned in 159 courses. Sex is mentioned in 30. Sexuality in 51.

I was going to write a long rant about the contents of the report itself. But to do it justice would require words of such intensity that I'd end up banned here.

Upvote 0