There could be a heaven or a hell you don't know what you don't know.

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
I feel the possibility of an afterlife is very real. Perhaps we are nothing more than sophisticated animals, but that isn't knowable. Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind. Even Albert Einstein and Newton. Are all these people brain dead or is there something to it?

Metaphysics is not knowable that is some weird stuff once you start going down that road. Keep hope alive and try to be open minded is my best advice take it for what it is worth.

Sincerely,

Sam

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel the possibility of an afterlife is very real. Perhaps we are nothing more than sophisticated animals, but that isn't knowable. Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind. Even Albert Einstein and Newton. Are all these people brain dead or is there something to it?
Metaphysics is not knowable that is some weird stuff once you start going down that road. Keep hope alive and try to be open minded is my best advice take it for what it is worth.

Once you experience answered prayer,
the rest clears up after a while.

Upvote 0

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
The possibility of an afterlife is real and I base it on what you hear from theists and the bible.

Kirkegaard would say if you are trying to get into the inteligient design discussion then your faith is dead. Faith should be a human's embracing the mystery of the unknown. Embrace the absurdity of the human condition, we are not made to know if there is an afterlife but we can hope. I am paraphrasing and adding to it too to sound like something I would like him to say if he were here.

Sincerely,

Sam

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I feel the possibility of an afterlife is very real.
Imagine for a second that there isn't an afterlife. That when we die, and the neurons in our brains stop firing, that's just the end for us. All our hopes, dreams and memories simply vanish.

If that were the case, can you see why we might want there to be an afterlife? Mortality sucks, and the afterlife offers the chance of immortality, so can you understand why people - as a response to their own mortality, and to the horrors of the world around them - might really want their lives to be eternal?
Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind
See above.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
That´s fine. However, you don´t expect me to base my notions upon your feelings, do you?
What´s the difference between "real" and "very real", btw.? ;)
Perhaps we are nothing more than sophisticated animals, but that isn't knowable.
Which is an entirely different issue than an "afterlife".
Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind. Even Albert Einstein and Newton. Are all these people brain dead or is there something to it?
Sounds like a false dichotomy to me. Can you think of other options?

You just said these things aren´t knowable. So what´s the point in asking me questions that you think are beyond my expertise, in the first place?

Metaphysics is not knowable that is some weird stuff once you start going down that road.
Well, I think the actual question is: How are we to deal with claims that define their subject into the "unknowable"?
Is metaphysics the field where we are free to let our creativity and our desires off the leach? I can live with that.
Keep hope alive
Ok, but regarding metaphysics my hopes may just be quite different from yours.
and try to be open minded is my best advice take it for what it is worth.
I don´t know how to put that advice in practice when it comes to claims about something allegedly "unknowable".

Sincerely,

Sam[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Okay.

Perhaps we are nothing more than sophisticated animals, but that isn't knowable.

It seems to be the parsimonious conclusion from what we do know. If we can't know anything unless we know everything, then what can anyone say at all? What is the point of this conversation? To hide in a comforting ignorance? A theological "safe space"?

Keep in mind that it could be the case (if imagination rules) that we will all suffer horribly after death for an eternity, no exceptions. Does that comfort you? Or do you get to pick and choose from your ignorance?

Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind.

Billions of people can be mistaken. What do you say to all of those millions (or however many) atheists that don't believe in a higher power?

Are all these people brain dead or is there something to it?

That's a false alternative. They can be intelligent and there is nothing to it.

And what about all of those smart atheists? Are they brain dead? Might they be correct in their views?

I prefer to keep hope alive for critical thinking skills, and not this open-ended "anything is possible" "we can't really know anything" sacrificing of productive thought.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
That´s fine. However, you don´t expect me to base my notions upon your feelings, do you?
What´s the difference between "real" and "very real", btw.? ;)

Which is an entirely different issue than an "afterlife".

Sounds like a false dichotomy to me. Can you think of other options?

You just said these things aren´t knowable. So what´s the point in asking me questions that you think are beyond my expertise, in the first place?

Well, I think the actual question is: How are we to deal with claims that define their subject into the "unknowable"?
Is metaphysics the field where we are free to let our creativity and our desires off the leach? I can live with that.

Ok, but regarding metaphysics my hopes may just be quite different from yours.

I don´t know how to put that advice in practice when it comes to claims about something allegedly "unknowable".

Sincerely,

Sam
[/QUOTE]

When I say the possibilities of an afterlife are very real as opposed to real, I feel that Jesus could have come back from the dead and there could be a heaven or a hell like the Bible says. It could have happened and is a very real possibility, not like kind of sort of real.

To say we are more than sophisticated animals does have to deal with an afterlife because it suggests we have an immortal soul unlike other animals, possible anyways, unless there is something to other animals getting reincarnated.

When you say "it sounds like a false dichotomy can you think of other options?" After, I said I don't think billions of theists are wrong about their being an afterlife. Another option is theists are all wrong, but you can't know that it is a huge mystery and I think that is where common ground can be found.

What is the point of asking you questions that I feel is beyond your expertise? I feel these debates on the philosophy section of Christian forums are interesting to have, thought provoking, but ultimately prove nothing. There could have been a strange divine revelation to humans a long time ago and God is just waiting for the right time to come back, but again that isn't knowable, just kind of interesting to discuss.

"How do we deal with claims that define their subject into the unknowable? Is metaphysics the subject of philosophy that lets your creativity and desires juices just off the hook, you could live with that." I could live with that too, I feel people are entitled to their own opinion on this issue and I am open to other interfaith discussions. However I feel religious beliefs should not be thought of as delusions. Theists, agnostics, ignostics and atheists can find common ground in the real fact we are not made to know.

I understand your metaphysical hopes may be quite different from mine, but let us not get too convinced when they may prove to be false in the future. God could still reveal himself to you in the future you never know. For example He, She or it could come floating down from the heavens to save us from global warming, it is possible.

Upvote 0

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
Okay.

It seems to be the parsimonious conclusion from what we do know. If we can't know anything unless we know everything, then what can anyone say at all? What is the point of this conversation? To hide in a comforting ignorance? A theological "safe space"?

Keep in mind that it could be the case (if imagination rules) that we will all suffer horribly after death for an eternity, no exceptions. Does that comfort you? Or do you get to pick and choose from your ignorance?

Billions of people can be mistaken. What do you say to all of those millions (or however many) atheists that don't believe in a higher power?

That's a false alternative. They can be intelligent and there is nothing to it.

And what about all of those smart atheists? Are they brain dead? Might they be correct in their views?

I prefer to keep hope alive for critical thinking skills, and not this open-ended "anything is possible" "we can't really know anything" sacrificing of productive thought.

eudaimonia,

Mark

I sincerely feel that the best way to look at this metaphysical debate is to say religions are not delusions.

I do hope for all of us we do not suffer some horrible afterlife, but try to trust that God is a loving God and has our backs in the afterlife. Keep hope alive.

Sam

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
Imagine for a second that there isn't an afterlife. That when we die, and the neurons in our brains stop firing, that's just the end for us. All our hopes, dreams and memories simply vanish.

If that were the case, can you see why we might want there to be an afterlife? Mortality sucks, and the afterlife offers the chance of immortality, so can you understand why people - as a response to their own mortality, and to the horrors of the world around them - might really want their lives to be eternal?

See above.

Yes it might just be wishful thinking, but you still can't rule it out. I know humans may just have an evolution type desire or need built in to feel protected and God does that for them. However one cannot discount all the interesting personal experiences people have had. Especially those recorded in the bible. I do pray for your souls, hang in there.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I sincerely feel that the best way to look at this metaphysical debate is to say religions are not delusions.

"Delusion" wouldn't be my choice of word. I'd simply say that religions are well-intended, but mistaken, or at least unjustified.

But what would I base that rejection of the "delusion" of religion on? It seems to be pure desire.

I do hope for all of us we do not suffer some horrible afterlife, but try to trust that God is a loving God and has our backs in the afterlife. Keep hope alive.

I don't have hopes for any afterlife. If it turns out that we have a pleasant afterlife after all, perhaps that's a good thing. But my hopes are based on what we do know. I hope to lead a largely good life in this life. That is enough for me.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes it might just be wishful thinking, but you still can't rule it out.

I can't rule out an infinite number of negative outcomes either. But I wonder why I should rule any unknown possibilities in? Why should I live in a fog of personal comfort?

However one cannot discount all the interesting personal experiences people have had. Especially those recorded in the bible.

Yes, in fact, I can discount them!

I do pray for your souls, hang in there.

I hope that one day you will be able to leave your theological comfort zone.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

When I say the possibilities of an afterlife are very real as opposed to real, I feel that Jesus could have come back from the dead and there could be a heaven or a hell like the Bible says. It could have happened and is a very real possibility, not like kind of sort of real.

To say we are more than sophisticated animals does have to deal with an afterlife because it suggests we have an immortal soul unlike other animals, possible anyways, unless there is something to other animals getting reincarnated.

When you say "it sounds like a false dichotomy can you think of other options?" After, I said I don't think billions of theists are wrong about their being an afterlife. Another option is theists are all wrong, but you can't know that it is a huge mystery and I think that is where common ground can be found.

What is the point of asking you questions that I feel is beyond your expertise? I feel these debates on the philosophy section of Christian forums are interesting to have, thought provoking, but ultimately prove nothing. There could have been a strange divine revelation to humans a long time ago and God is just waiting for the right time to come back, but again that isn't knowable, just kind of interesting to discuss.

"How do we deal with claims that define their subject into the unknowable? Is metaphysics the subject of philosophy that lets your creativity and desires juices just off the hook, you could live with that." I could live with that too, I feel people are entitled to their own opinion on this issue and I am open to other interfaith discussions. However I feel religious beliefs should not be thought of as delusions. Theists, agnostics, ignostics and atheists can find common ground in the real fact we are not made to know.

I understand your metaphysical hopes may be quite different from mine, but let us not get too convinced when they may prove to be false in the future. God could still reveal himself to you in the future you never know. For example He, She or it could come floating down from the heavens to save us from global warming, it is possible.[/QUOTE]
If we accept metaphysics to be about the unknowable and thus the playing field for our fantasy, wishes, desires, creativity, the fact that many people believe similar things tells us nothing about the accuracy of this belief but merely about the frequency and deepness of a desire for it to be so.
Given the premise "unknowable", there´s absolutely nothing that could possibly be evidence for one belief over another.

There could be a lot of things in the realm of "the unknowable". I wouldn´t know how to tell such beliefs apart, in terms of accuracy. They are all possible (provided they are logical consistent) - so I see no basis whatsoever for even starting to discuss or debate them.
However, eeing that we are talking about that which people desire, religious beliefs can be a great subject for psychological studies.
However I feel religious beliefs should not be thought of as delusions.
Well, you were the one who came up with the false dichotomy "they are either right or brain dead". Go figure.
As far as I am concerned, I don´t think that "delusion" is an appropriate term in the declared realm of fantasy, power of imagination and wishful thinking.

Anyway, I have no problem whatsoever to say "I don´t know" when it comes to metaphysical questions. Also, I don´t take my hopes regarding the "unknowable" not very seriously.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I feel the possibility of an undetectable dragon watching over me is very real.

Why not? We are physical biological organism that can be studied and compared to other biological organisms.

Think about the billions of people who believe in a higher power of some kind.

Many people believe many things.
Beliefs don't necessarily reflect truth.

Even Albert Einstein and Newton. Are all these people brain dead or is there something to it?

...or just mistaken, off course.

Or are you of the opinion that anyone who believes something that doesn't turn out to be correct, is "brain dead"?

Metaphysics is not knowable that is some weird stuff once you start going down that road.

What "stuff" are you talking about?

Keep hope alive and try to be open minded is my best advice take it for what it is worth.

Dawkins' response to that is: "We SHOULD have an open mind... but not SO open that our brains are falling out..."

Hope of what, exactly?
It seems to me that you are trying to build a case here to justify believing whatever nonsense you wish, just because it makes you feel comfortable or something.

When it comes to beliefs about reality, I'ld rather not care about my comfort or emotions... I'ld like to believe as many true things as possible and the least false things as possible.

See, I actually care about my beliefs being reflective of reality. Even if the truth hurts. The universe / reality doesn't owe me any "hope" or "comfort" or what-have-you.

Hope is nice, but false hope is counterproductive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Nobody here has said that they are.

I do hope for all of us we do not suffer some horrible afterlife, but try to trust that God is a loving God and has our backs in the afterlife.
Well, I don´t believe that there´s a God (horrible or loving), in the first place.
I really don´t have the resources to concern myself with each and every religious idea people come up with. That´s the ignostic part of me, I guess.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Sorry, but "You can´t rule it out" isn´t even a sufficient reason for me to start considering an idea. There are billions of hypothetical things that I "can´t rule out".
So I guess my first question when someone asks me to consider their religious/spiritual/metaphysical/... ideas "Why should I, beyond the mere fact that they can´t be conclusively ruled out? What do you think elevates it above the countless other hypothetical scenarios that can´t be ruled out?"

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm ruling nothing out. I'm not in a position to say there definitely isn't an afterlife, but I can't believe there is, based on the evidence, or lack of it, that I've seen.

I know humans may just have an evolution type desire or need built in to feel protected and God does that for them.
This is very much Sigmund Freud's argument in his book, The Future of an Illusion. It's a thought provoking read; you won't agree with much of it, but it would give you a good understanding of where many of us nonbelievers are coming from.

However one cannot discount all the interesting personal experiences people have had. Especially those recorded in the bible
I think we can. If we go with the premise that we want this to be true, so we're looking for things to confirm it, then it isn't hard to see how many of these experiences may have arisen. Our capacity for confirmation bias is huge.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,531.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel the possibility of an undetectable dragon watching over me is very real.
I don't think this is a 'fair' comment - the two situations are not really that similar. This is the problem with these analogies (including the teapot and the flying spaghetti monster) - they are perhaps born of the germ of a reasonable critique but then they completely go overboard.

Of course there is no evidence for an afterlife (or at best, there is exceedingly slim evidence). But given the fundamentally mysterious nature of existence - no one, I suggest, can give a satisfying account of why the universe exists - I suggest that belief in an afterlife is in the category of "the possible".

People are already talking about the concept of transferring the information in a human brain to a computer. So it seems that with the advent of the computer, humans have glimpsed a possible mechanism for cheating death of the essential "self". I suggest that the history of human inquiry into the fundamental nature of our Universe shows that things often turn up that are wildly unexpected (e.g. quantum theory).

Since human culture, in perhaps our relative technological and philosophical infancy, already sees a plausible path for the self surviving death of the body, I think it is manifestly unfair to compare a belief in the afterlife to the clearly absurd notion of an invisible dragon looming overhead. Yes, a lot of theists say some pretty ridiculous things. But acceptance of the possibility of a life beyond this one strikes me as completely reasonable.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0