Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CNN and the Washington Post both say that Bush has "ordered" Israel to pull out of the West Bank.

The New York Times and Fox News both are saying that he asked them to hold off for a while so that negotiations with Palestine can continue to try and prevent loss of lives.

CNN and the Washington Post both say that yasser Arafat is a legitimate leader of the Palestinian people.

The New York Times and Fox News say that Yasser Arafat is a terrorist and shouldn't be viewed as a real leader since he was niether elected nor does he have the power to stop the suicide bombings.

I know who I believe. Which news source do believe to be more reputable and trust worthy?

God Bless...

Zach

Arafat was elected President of the Palestinian National Authority on January 20, 1996, with roughly 83 percent of the vote.

He doesn't have the power to stop the suicide bombings, anymore than the mayor of New York has the power to prevent muggings in Central Park. He seems to be doing the best he can considering Israel is actively killing his policemen throughout Palestine. I guess that makes for quite a motivator for the police to do their jobs, although in most parts of the world giving policemen a raise or bonus for catching bad guys rather than shooting them when they don't is a more common and effective practice.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you believe that Arafat seeks something else other than to reclaim what he believes belongs to the Palestinians?

There are several schools of thought (one of which is the US military) that believe that what he truly wants is for Israel to cease to exist.

Upvote 0

Kiwi

Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well lets step out of our christian shoes for a minute and look at it from his point of view. His people have been pushed into two little parcels of land and many are in refugee camps. Many people lost all their land, farms, houses and everything. Do you not think he might be slightly cheesed off at this?

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Let's step back to 1967 when the borders were what Palestine wants them to return to now.

Was there peace then...No. Israel was attacked by her neighbors in an attempt to take her over. It will be no different this time. You reap what you sow, and when you attack someone there will be consequences, one of which is defeat and a possible loss of land, e.g. America vs. Great Britain.

Palestine was the name of the entire region, it was not, nor was it ever a state. The "Palestinian People" were a nomadic bunch who wandered over all of the land in that area, were they not? Why are they not asking Jordan for their land back?

Neal

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by coastie

I know who I believe. Which news source do believe to be more reputable and trust worthy?

God Bless...

Zach

I'm inclined to believe God. You might say He's being silent on this issue, but I think He's weeping.

All men are sinners. Everyone on both sides of this conflict seems to have lost sight of any reasonable goals. I guess my sympathy is, very slightly, with the Israelis; they have a lot fewer people advocating the complete annihilation of the Palestinians, than there are Palestinians advocating the complete annihilation of the Israelis. I still want them all to stop, and I don't see much we can do except pray... And I get the feeling that this is a free will issue, and God isn't going to just wave a magic wand and make them stop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm inclined to believe God.

Oh Seebs,

I believe God too... but He isn't a news source. He's my Creator, my Ruler, my Father, and my Redeemer, but He doesn't do nightly reports on what is going on in the Middle East.

Somehow, I have been branded as condoning the violence in Palestine, but I don't. I want peace, I pray for peace every night. While I understand it's occassional necessity, I believe all violence is evil.

in Christ,

Zach

Upvote 0

BigEd

an adopted child of God
Feb 15, 2002
connecticut
✟9,726.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is distortion on bothe sides of isreal/palastine coin.

Most american media seems blind to terroism of the palastinians.

While "christian" media seems to turn a blind eye to the violence isreal as afflicted on the palastinians.

I need to pray for both isrealis and palastinians. Both are people created in God's image, but many are lost. Pray for their peace and their salvation.

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most american media seems blind to terroism of the palastinians.

It's starting to get better... But for once, at least for the first time in my adult life... the media is taking the side of our president (for the most part).

While "christian" media seems to turn a blind eye to the violence isreal as afflicted on the palastinians.

I disagree, the Christian talk shows that I've listened too have been way more compassionate the the news has been, however, they look at it from a Christian perspective rather than a political perspective. They try to show compassion for everyone.

I need to pray for both isrealis and palastinians. Both are people created in God's image, but many are lost. Pray for their peace and their salvation.

Amen BigED!

Zach

Upvote 0
i don't trust media too much, except for perhaps their weather reports, most of the time the news is either blinded by the right or left.

as for israel/palestine. i think they are both in the wrong and i don't see why they argue over land that is worthless. and once again the US is delving into something that is none of it's business

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
and once again the US is delving into something that is none of it's business

And once again, this argument has no back bone. The US has a lot of reason to be there. The US is needed in there. Who did Sharon call when he needed support to protect himself from the terrorists? Who did Palestine call when Israel moved into Jenin? They both called the US... so apparently they think we have business in there.

Which leads me to my next point, the biggest reason that our Congress and Senate has been pro-active in this event is our economic interests in the area.

We have a lot of reason to be there. You'd see this for yourself if you watched the news.

i don't trust media too much, except for perhaps their weather reports, most of the time the news is either blinded by the right or left.

Really? Not that I trust the media either but weather reports are what I trust the least. :D

Zach

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
Where is the UN in all of this? Do they have any involvement or is it purely the US?
If the US acted as part of a UN peacekeeping force, instead of being seen to be acting on its own and for its own interests, there would be much less resentment against the US in the area.

From what I've seen, most of the media seems to be slanted in favour of the Israelis, giving very little time to the reasons why the Palestinians do what they do. The simple answer that is implied is this: "they are terrorists, and that's what terrorists do."

Upvote 0

O'Mara

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Where is the UN in all of this? Do they have any involvement or is it purely the US?

Yes, the UN does have some involvement in this. The US is the one with the major economic interests in the area though, and that is why they are the most prominent force in the region.

If the US acted as part of a UN peacekeeping force, instead of being seen to be acting on its own and for its own interests, there would be much less resentment against the US in the area.

Not true. The middle East will hate the US and any nation that assists the US just because of who they are. They do not need a reason to resent the US.

The US has stepped in on both sides to mitigate the situation, however, very little action has been taken that would resemble a "police" action. Almost everything is done behind the scenes in political meetings.

From what I've seen, most of the media seems to be slanted in favour of the Israelis, giving very little time to the reasons why the Palestinians do what they do. The simple answer that is implied is this: "they are terrorists, and that's what terrorists do."

If someone were to turn the news on a just watch it for a couple of minutes and then turn it off, that is probably the opinion they would reach. However, the media has done a good job of covering both sides. Both Fox News and BBC have given the International Solidarity (a very pro-palestinian organization) air time.

TC

Upvote 0
"The middle East will hate the US and any nation that assists the US just because of who they are. They do not need a reason to resent the US. "

I have to completely disagree with this. Those in the middle east who hate the US have definite reasons for hating the US, and this is part of the reason why resentment continues to grow against the US. Since Sept. 11th, the US has done absolutely nothing to solve the problems that led to the terrorist attacks. They have crushed Al-Qaeda, and this is good, but Al-Qaeda is not the problem, they are a symptom of the problem. The US must figure out what they can do to solve this problem and attempt to make some amends to the middle easterners.
How many Al-Qaeda's do you think the US can defeat?

Upvote 0