Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
https://wapo.st/3wa4JIL

WaPo:
As soon as Collin Davis found out his ex-partner was planning to travel to Colorado to have an abortion in late February, the Texas man retained a high-powered antiabortion attorney — who court records show immediately issued a legal threat. If the woman proceeded with the abortion, even in a state where the procedure remains legal, Davis would seek a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the abortion and “pursue wrongful-death claims against anyone involved in the killing of his unborn child,” the lawyer wrote in a letter, according to records.

The decision to target an abortion that occurred outside of Texas represents a potential new strategy by antiabortion activists to achieve a goal many in the movement have been working toward since Roe v. Wade was overturned: stopping women from traveling out of state to end their pregnancies. Crossing state lines for abortion care remains legal nationwide. Davis’s petition — filed under Texas’s Rule 202 by Jonathan Mitchell, a prominent antiabortion attorney known for devising new and aggressive legal strategies to crack down on abortion — follows a lawsuit filed last spring by another Texas man, Marcus Silva, who is attempting to sue three women who allegedly helped his ex-wife obtain abortion pills.

“Mr. Davis is considering whether to sue individuals and organizations that participated in the murder of his unborn child,” Mitchell, widely known as the architect of Senate Bill 8, wrote in Davis’s complaint in March. Davis’s petition — filed under Texas’s Rule 202 by Jonathan Mitchell, a prominent antiabortion attorney known for devising new and aggressive legal strategies to crack down on abortion — follows a lawsuit filed last spring by another Texas man, Marcus Silva, who is attempting to sue three women who allegedly helped his ex-wife obtain abortion pills.

“Mr. Davis is considering whether to sue individuals and organizations that participated in the murder of his unborn child,” Mitchell, widely known as the architect of Senate Bill 8, wrote in Davis’s complaint in March. Davis’s petition includes no evidence of illegal activity. Davis’s former partner ultimately obtained her abortion in Colorado, Davis claims in the court documents. Mitchell suggests in the petition that people who helped her procure the abortion could be found liable. Mitchell said in a statement that abortions that occur outside Texas can be targets for civil litigation. “Fathers of aborted fetuses can sue for wrongful death in states with abortion bans, even if the abortion occurs out-of-state,” he wrote. “They can sue anyone who paid for the abortion, anyone who aided or abetted the travel, and anyone involved in the manufacture or distribution of abortion drugs.”

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,125,802.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad this woman chose to leave an abusive, controlling relationship--and I would pity a child who grew up with such a harsh father.
Whatever the outcome, he has too many issues to be a good husband or father.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are we still confused as to why the birth rate is dropping and why women are increasingly single by choice?
Agreed. Some guys can be jerks, and ruin it for the rest of the guys who are actually kind and treat women with respect. Yeah, the birth rate is 1.7 children per woman, as of 2024 (in the States).

Source: The Demographic Outlook: 2024 to 2054

1714781707476.png

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Agreed. Some guys can be jerks, and ruin it for the rest of the guys who are actually kind and treat women with respect. Yeah, the birth rate is 1.7 children per woman, as of 2024 (in the States).
I'm not sure what that has to do with the behavior of jerks.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jerky guys do not correlate with birth rates (other factors are involved), but I had to show some numbers that our birth rate is declining, as @comana pointed that out, and I am a numbers type guy. :)

Anyways, it is getting late here sir. I hope you have a wonderful night.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟918,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One might think that the birthrste would actually be higher with a lot of jerks around!?
I guess if all jerks are also rapists.

Women, now, are independent and financially secure and large numbers are opting to stay single because they don’t want to chance getting involved with men like the one in the OP. Thus the birth rate is falling. Among other societal reasons.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure why you have to butt into two other people's conversations unless you are adding something to it.
the birth rate is 1.7 children per woman, as of 2024 (in the States).
This is a concerning trend not only in the US but around the world (especially in Asia). Immigration is what is going to help us in the long run if we make it that far before being nuked.

I am glad this woman chose to leave an abusive, controlling relationship--and I would pity a child who grew up with such a harsh father.
Agreed. This is what America has become an extremist nation. As a Christian, I believe their decisions are between them and the Creator and not the little gods on earth. If this dude didn't want children he should have kept his zipper up.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟714,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you saying it is better to end the life of the child than to have it adopted or living with a harsh father?

Harsh father? Trying to save the life of his unborn child - yeah, that is really bad -

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟918,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that this looks a lot like an abusive relationship. The fact that he is suing his ex for getting a legal abortion screams abusive control.

I have serious doubts that this is about the loss of a chance to be a father and everything about losing control over his ex when she ended the pregnancy.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why you have to butt into two other people's conversations unless you are adding something to it.

This is a concerning trend not only in the US but around the world (especially in Asia). Immigration is what is going to help us in the long run if we make it that far before being nuked.

Agreed. This is what America has become an extremist nation. As a Christian, I believe their decisions are between them and the Creator and not the little gods on earth. If this dude didn't want children he should have kept his zipper up.
Amen sir. I agree with you. Yeah, I have no idea why Mr. Blaster butted into the convo, but he is a nice guy. Yes, America has become an extremist nation, on both sides. And yes, the dude should have kept his plantain under wraps, if he did not want to have kids.

For those who do not know what a plantain is, it is a type of starchy banana.

From Wikipedia

1714836241034.jpeg

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟197,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying it is better to end the life of the child than to have it adopted or living with a harsh father?

Harsh father? Trying to save the life of his unborn child - yeah, that is really bad -
A clump of cells is not a child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,485,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's not what he's doing at this point.

Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟373,956.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

They exist you know. Harsh narcissists actually don't make good parents. You can hear it in the words their children say.

Prove to me the father wanted the child.
Yeah yeah. I know the tribe’s rhetoric.
It's tough be saddled by things like "definitions".

Besides he was trying to save an octogenarian...not a child.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟714,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They exist you know. Harsh narcissists actually don't make good parents. You can hear it in the words their children say.
Wanting to save the life of a baby is neither harsh or narcissists in nature - you might need a new dictionary -
Prove to me the father wanted the child.
If he didn't want the child, he would not be trying to save the child
It's tough be saddled by things like "definitions".
Sure is...
Besides he was trying to save an octogenarian...not a child.
His wife was trying to abort a person in their 80"s????

I'm thinking you really do need a new dictionary.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟918,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wanting to save the life of a baby is neither harsh or narcissists in nature - you might need a new dictionary -

If he didn't want the child, he would not be trying to save the child

Sure is...

His wife was trying to abort a person in their 80"s????

I'm thinking you really do need a new dictionary.
He’s not trying to save a child. He’s trying to control and punish his ex for getting a legal procedure. The deed is already done.

Upvote 0