Students claim meeting with Eisgruber was unproductive, hunger strike will continue

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,219,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Seems like the BDS vs. non-BDS factions have done this song & dance before... the article makes mention of a petition battle that took place a decade ago.

According to a December 2014 report of the Resources Committee — a committee within the Council of the Princeton University Community — 71 tenured faculty members submitted a petition to Eisgruber calling for the University to “divest from all companies that contribute to or profit from the Israeli occupation of the West Bank until the State of Israel complies with UN Resolution 242, ends its military occupation of the West Bank and lifts its siege of Gaza.”

Following this petition, a counter-petition signed by over 450 students was submitted to Eisgruber, “reject(ing) efforts — such as boycott, divestment, and sanctions campaigns — that aim to demonize or assign absolute blame to either Israelis or Palestinians as they are counterproductive and drive the parties further away from compromise.” Another petition opposing the original petition, which was signed by officers of the Center for Jewish Life and more than 425 faculty, parents and alumni, was also submitted to Eisgruber.

I think some of the students are over-estimating the efficacy of the "hunger strike" approach for this particular divide. Those tend to only work if enough people actually care about the possibility of their rival faction starving themselves out of existence, and typically, the "sympathetic" angle has to be played before the "in your face"/Obnoxious behavior angle.

IE: If a person starts with the hunger strike first (before they've alienated half the population), that's going to have a higher likelihood of having some sympathetic support vs. "I just yelled in your face, vandalized property, and blocked people from going to school... oh, yeah, and now I'm going to stop eating until you give me what I want"

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have little care for pretty much any hunger strike and even less for a strike to attempt to bring about these results.

Upvote 0