Should I take Communion if I go to Mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traversinginfinity

Aug 20, 2006
✟15,688.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm kind of confused. A few months ago I was a practicing Catholic, but I started having serious doubts about the faith and Christianity and so lately I haven't been considering myself a practicing Catholic.

I've talked to several people about whether or not I should take Communion, and some say that I shouldn't because I am no longer in full communion with the Church in my belief, and some say that I should because the Eucharist can be a source of strength for me in this time of doubt.

I also haven't wanted to go to Confession, because I don't see any point in going to confession if I'm not even sure whether to believe in the Church or not.

Any advice?

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
we should prepare ourselves for communion, that means examining our conscience. If we are aware of grave sin, then we should go to confession before mass. But if you are not part of another denomination and still remain in the Church, pray, contemplate and examine your being before communion.

We all have doubts and troubles. You may experience a turning point and a miracle when you go to mass. If you feel that you can not receive communion, ask for a blessing by the priest and cross your heart with your arms.:wave: :prayer: :crossrc:

Reactions: NDIrish
Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Is there not a "general confession" made in the Latin Mass? If so, perhaps (just my thoughts here) one might consider that as sufficient for communion?

While I differ in my interpretation of the purpose of the Eucharist, I would agree with those who say it is a source of strength, and if it is possible, to partake as you work out your spiritual path.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I encourage you to seek out the mass, but I think it would be wisest to speak with a priest before taking communion - even if you don't feel up to confession it might be a good idea to stop by for a chat. As Protinus said, going up for a blessing is another option.

Many who don't consider themselves fully "Catholic" attend mass, so the priest will probably be aware of others in your position.

Prayers and blessings friend. :wave:

(Jason: The General Confession is considered to wash away veinal sin only)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I'm kind of confused. A few months ago I was a practicing Catholic, but I started having serious doubts about the faith and Christianity and so lately I haven't been considering myself a practicing Catholic.

I've talked to several people about whether or not I should take Communion, and some say that I shouldn't because I am no longer in full communion with the Church in my belief, and some say that I should because the Eucharist can be a source of strength for me in this time of doubt.

I also haven't wanted to go to Confession, because I don't see any point in going to confession if I'm not even sure whether to believe in the Church or not.

Any advice?
Wow! That sounds just like me:)

I think I am getting to the place where I have decided that beliefs aren't sinful and shouldn't be somethng that keeps us from unionwith Christ in the sacraments. It's only actions that are sinful.

I also think that there are seasons to our spiritual journey- and sometimes it's a balmy summer day where walking is easy and delightful, and sometimes it's the dead of winter with a howling blizzard swirling around us. Sometimes we are capable of more, sometimes less. God's justice demands that He knows us for our heart and our efforts...and so I am banking on His mercy to know that my struggles are those of seeking Him with a sincere heart--but a heart that is also broken and weak. I hang onto the fact that God tells us that He is close to the brokenhearted and that His power is made perfect in weakness as I mucddle through just trying to do my imperfect best.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, gotcha. In my church, it is taught that our general confession during the liturgy is sufficient to cleanse us from both mortal and venial sin.

Do you know when it was decided that it was only venial sin that was cleansed?
No idea - certainly confession out dates the general confession at mass in the Latin rite, so I assume it was always so.

Come to think of it, I'm not even 100% sure that it officially supposed to wash away venial sin, that may just be hearsay, but at the same time I see no harm in that belief.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you're asking here, it's likely because you have some doubts. If you're having some doubts, I would abstain. There is nothing wrong with not receiving, but there may well be something wrong with receiving unworthily. Read and study what the Church teaches on the matter, talk to a Priest or six, and decide what exactly it is that you do believe.

I can't immagine any reason that you would want to take communion in a house that didn't want you to do so. furthermore, I can't immagine any reason you would want to take communion if you were not in agreement (and maybe you are, you didn't really say) that it was what it was being sold as - the body and blood of Jesus Christ, that just moments ago was bread and wine.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others

Any advice?
Talk to your priest. Reconciliation is good, but sometimes priests don't like to have big, involved conversations in the confessional, esp. if a lot of people are waiting. Talk to him outside of Reconciliation if you like. And do yourself a favor, and don't ask the opinion of OBOB posters. That may seem harsh, but the fact of the matter is, some posters there would tell you to abstain if you so much as accidentally violated the 1 hour fast before mass, and no priest that I have talked to would advocate such scrupulosity. 9 times out of 10, if you talk to a priest, they're going to tell you to make an act of contrition, partake in Communion, and go to Reconciliation soon, at least in my experience. Then again, depending on how long you've been away from mass, they might tell you to go to Reconciliation, just because of the length of time since you last attended, to re-connect you to the community, so to say. Bottom line, I'd recommend a two-fold answer. Schedule an appointment just to talk about it with a priest, and go to Reconciliation, if you feel led. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, gotcha. In my church, it is taught that our general confession during the liturgy is sufficient to cleanse us from both mortal and venial sin.

In the Latin Church even the Eucharist itself is not sufficient to wash away mortal sin. Venial..yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have a Perpetual Adoration Chapel near you?

You can find one in this directory:

http://www.therealpresence.org/chap_fr.htm

I think it would be a good way to spend some quiet time with Jesus and work things out. I don't believe that our doubts start in our minds (although it often seems that they do.) I believe they start in our hearts, and that our souls long for a relationship with God.

And the Adoration Chapel is a good place to develop that relationship. You don't have to kneel the whole time, or recite certain rote prayers. You can just be in God's presence and let Him speak to your heart.

Blessings to you.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just brainstorming here, I wonder if there's any way that parish churches could make it easier to not take communion at mass if you are a member not in a state of grace or a non-Catholic or whatever. Right now I think there is a lot of pressure to receive the way the lines usually work with everyone stepping out and coming back in the other way and so forth. And inevitably about five people out of a huge assembly don't take communion and are sort of left alone in a sea of empty pews sticking out obviously, and have to sort of step out of the pew twice and somehow work it so people aren't falling all over them, etc..

I think it would be cool if a couple of back pews were reserved for non-communicants. Not that you'd *have* to go there if you weren't communing, but you would have an option where you wouldn't stand out as much or have to figure out how to keep your seat and not take anyone else's without going to the altar and with a minimal amount of disruption to everyone else.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Just brainstorming here, I wonder if there's any way that parish churches could make it easier to not take communion at mass if you are a member not in a state of grace or a non-Catholic or whatever. Right now I think there is a lot of pressure to receive the way the lines usually work with everyone stepping out and coming back in the other way and so forth. And inevitably about five people out of a huge assembly don't take communion and are sort of left alone in a sea of empty pews sticking out obviously, and have to sort of step out of the pew twice and somehow work it so people aren't falling all over them, etc..

I think it would be cool if a couple of back pews were reserved for non-communicants. Not that you'd *have* to go there if you weren't communing, but you would have an option where you wouldn't stand out as much or have to figure out how to keep your seat and not take anyone else's without going to the altar and with a minimal amount of disruption to everyone else.
That'd be a little touchy, sort of a "Scarlet Letter" row thing. Some people are married, with a former marriage in the process of being annulled. So in other words, you'd have some people perpetually sitting there, and they might get stigmatized. Not to mention, it would be a little awkward to give instruction during a homily for non-communers to sit in the back.

The other problem is... the back rows are some of the first places to get filled by communing Catholics. :D

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a good point (above).

I once had a church that actually divided the pews down the middle with what I can only describe as a board.. So, theoretically, if you get there early and sit next to one of the dividers and if you don't commune, you'd never have to move thus avoiding a lot of awkwardness. I think it would be cool if more church buildings were built like that. It makes sense to do it if there is the expectation that visitors and even certain members aren't going to be communing each week.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

I'm not sure how best to approach this problem for our Roman rite friends. To me, the Eucharist symbolizes wholeness and healing, and is needed most by those who may not feel "worthy" to receive.

It seems foreign to me at this point in my spiritual journey to see anyone refused communion. In my church, we would not expect to see anyone not commune, unless they were a first time visitor who simply felt uncomfortable to do so in a new church.

Solutions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
As I mentioned in This thread, many parishes welcome noncommunicants to come up with their arms crossed for a blessing. Personally, I find it alleviates the "Sorry, you have to climb over me" syndrome, and I think it's still a very special, meaningful act.

I love giving a blessing in church...especially to children. I am impressed so much by those that come up to altar without the expectation of receiving...just to be there in our Lord's presence!!!:crossrc:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.