Farmington
✟33,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Wesley doctrine of entire Sanctification, second blessing, second work of grace, is the same as taught in the early church ie. Macarian homilies, Saint Anthony, Syriac fathers etc. there are many terms used: purity of heart, removal of the carnal mind, mind of Christ, apatheia, theoria, theosis, dispassion, impassibility, in Russian it is: Бесстрастие. There are many early Methodist testimonies as well as the writings of the church Fathers all speak on it.

I believe in this, I think for the most part. Some say holiness is not necessary to salvation, but the Scriptures disagree. Holiness and salvation go hand in hand.
Hebrews 12:12-15,
"Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled"

Hebrews 10:23-24,
"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:"

I just got done reading A.W. Pink's The Scriptures and Good Works, in which he states,
"We profit from the Word when we are thereby taught the absolute necessity of good works. If it be written that “without shedding of blood is no remission” (Heb 9:22) and “without faith it is impossible to please Him” (Heb 11:6), the Scripture of Truth also declares, “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man may see the Lord” (Heb 12:14). The life lived by the saints in heaven is but the completion and consummation of that life which, after regeneration, they live here on earth. The difference between the two is not one of kind, but of degree. “The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day” (Pro 4:18). If there has been no walking with God down here there will be no dwelling with God up there. If there has been no real communion with Him in time, there will be none with Him in eternity."

"We profit from the Word when we are taught thereby the design of good works. This is clearly made known in Matthew 5:16: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” It is worthy of our notice that this is the first occurrence of the expression, and, as is generally the case, the initial mention of a thing in Scripture intimates its consequent scope and usage. Here we learn that the disciples of Christ are to authenticate their Christian profession by the silent but vocal testimony of their lives (for “light” makes no noise in its “shining”), that men may see (not hear boasting about) their good works, and this that their Father in heaven may be glorified. Here, then, is their fundamental design: for the honour of God."

Andrew Murray wrote,

""Of God are ye in Christ Jesus, who has made unto us wisdom from God, both righteousness and SANCTIFICATION, and redemption." I COR.1:30(R.V. marg.).

"Paul unto the Church of God which is at Corinth to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints" ;-thus the chapter opens in which we are taught that Christ is our sanctification. In the Old Testament, believers were called the righteous; in the New Testament they are called saints, the holy ones, sanctified in Christ Jesus. Holy is higher than righteous. I Holy in God has reference to His inmost being; righteous, to His dealings with His creatures. In man, righteousness is but a stepping stone to holiness. It is in this he can approach most near to the perfection of' God (comp. Matt.5:48; I Pet.1:16). In the Old Testament righteousness was found, while holiness was only typified; ill Jesus Christ, the Holy One, and in His people, His saints or holy ones, it is first realized."

I realize they were not Methodists, but Baptist and Dutch Reformed, but I see in their writings the principle of Holiness, as also the writings of George Fox and William Penn, Quakers.

But, set aside for a moment what man says, and look at what the Bible says. I see nowhere in the Bible any form of teaching like we have today where people teach erroneous doctrines about grace with no works, you can do what you want and be saved, you can live a wicked immoral life and call it "love" when it's a burning festering hellish lust...and people are even afraid to preach like that and call sin out for what it really is, afraid to offend someone.
Jesus said His Word would offend, and not all could receive it. It is not the wide and broad way that is salvation, but yet people are teaching it like anybody can get on board and stay as they are. Things like we are talking about here are considered outdated and old fashioned, but our God does not change, and Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever! Amen

Upvote 0