• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Relapsing okayed by psychiatrist

kurayami

Mar 4, 2011
Morwell
Visit site
✟8,365.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Yesterday, I went to see my psychiatrist, and I told him that I've lost ## kg in ## weeks, eating ## calories a day and exercising. I'm not feeling tired or anything, and I'm able to study for exams. God is kind.

I know that eating ## calories a day and exercising for an hour or more most days isn't healthy, but I'm obsessed with getting down to ## kg, which is the low end of an acceptable BMI for my height (##cms/##). And of course, when I do get to my target, I don't know if I'll be able to stop losing weight.

I told my psychiatrist that, but he just said "get used to accepting compliments". Earlier in the week, I spoke to my pastor about this because I feel like I'm engaging in idolatry. He remarked that if he told me to stop doing what I'm doing, I wouldn't. That I'd be willing to disobey an elder rather than stop my bid for weight loss.

I really don't know how to deal with this.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,447.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's not a problem, I've maintained ## kg for years....But it is actually far below my BMI. I'm supposed to be at least ##.

The BMI is not a gold standard due to physiological differences between humans. I've been underweight most of my life and it never gave me any problems. I feel absolutely healthy.

Once you reach your target weight. You can start managing it with diet and some exercise. I maintain my weight very closely for reasons I'm not sure. I just do it. It's become 2nd nature. Some people tell me to gain weight but I feel much better this way.

Perhaps my advice is not the best.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
I didn't realize I only eat ## calories a day.

One bowl of something nice a day resonates well with me when comparing to other places in the world.

If you're into weight loss, don't sweat it. You love God I'm sure, just love God more than weight loss. Overthinking is what puts you into that whole question, just love God more and then put it out of your mind.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At a weight of ## Kg and a height of ## cm your BMI is ## which is within a normal and healthy range according to the national heart foundation (Norm ##). Exercising daily with a healthy diet (which is what you do) is something everyone should be doing. Your not a problem; you're a role model given the terrible pandemic of obesity in the USA, UK and Australia.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't have an eating disorder, but it sounds like you are obsessed with your BMI and all of that. I try to spend an hour a day on my exercise bike, but I eat LOTS more than ## calories. Try asking people who are exercise fanatics how many calories you should be consuming. When you exercise, you often gain weight at first, because you develop more muscle mass. Those extra muscles consume calories - even while you are sedentary - and this helps keep you from getting obese. The problem for most people is that they don't eat the enough healthy food.

So I would suggest talking to some fitness fanatics, and try to make your diet super healthy. Don't worry about the calories - worry about getting enough vitamins and protein and so forth. Otherwise your body will be burning muscle mass and making you weaker, less able to exercise, and more prone to gain weight. (Of course I am not a fitness expert. I exercise, because I have depression, and the exercise makes me feel better.)

Upvote 0

cant_think_of_a_name

Jan 8, 2017
USA
✟17,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you have a history of ED, I would be very careful about extreme dieting (and I would call a ## cal/day diet extreme.) I'm not a professional, but I had a history of anorexia and have heard advice from countless therapists and doctors.

I'd say watch out for warning signs. Do you get anxious if you miss a day of exercise? Or if you found out a slice of bread you ate had ## more calories than you thought? Does it consume your thoughts? Let your psychiatrist know where you are mentally. Extreme dieting is a dangerous road. A lot of people get out of it with no ED, but the problem is to some people, it's addicting. Yes, dieting is addicting, and you might not realize you have a problem until you're in a hospital with a feeding tube up your nose.

Wow, that was a bit dramatic; sorry about that. Clearly I'm working out my past issues, but I just wanted to send a friendly note of caution!

Reactions: kurayami
Upvote 0