Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When my wife and I were dating and engaged we focused on a lot of devotions to Saint Joseph. A month before we met she did a consecration to him and later that year I did as well. We got engaged and then married both on Saint Joseph's feast day (a year apart).

Now I'm almost 18 months into fatherhood and I've been thinking about the love Saint Joseph had for Christ.

I started thinking about how Saint Joseph was already passed away at the time of Christ's passion and crucifixion, and wondered whether that was an act of God's mercy cause, but also necessary for the completion of God's plan for salvation? I keep think how I wouldn't be able to allow my son to be tortured and executed so long as I have breath in my lungs, and wonder whether Saint Joseph would've tried to intervene with the authorities had he been alive and present at that time.

Sure he submitted to God's will the same as Our Lady but not in the perfect way she did, right? That makes me wonder whether he would've tried to stop the guards and the Romans from attacking his son, or whether he might've thrown himself under the whips when Christ was scourged, or even tried to offer himself as to be executed instead, like I think most fathers instinctually would.

Is there any discourse on this already? That Saint Joseph's absence from that part of the story was both a necessity for God's plan to happen and an act of mercy on Saint Joseph by God.

Just some random thoughts I had here thinking about fatherhood and the model earthly father for all Catholics.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When my wife and I were dating and engaged we focused on a lot of devotions to Saint Joseph. A month before we met she did a consecration to him and later that year I did as well. We got engaged and then married both on Saint Joseph's feast day (a year apart).

Now I'm almost 18 months into fatherhood and I've been thinking about the love Saint Joseph had for Christ.

I started thinking about how Saint Joseph was already passed away at the time of Christ's passion and crucifixion, and wondered whether that was an act of God's mercy cause, but also necessary for the completion of God's plan for salvation? I keep think how I wouldn't be able to allow my son to be tortured and executed so long as I have breath in my lungs, and wonder whether Saint Joseph would've tried to intervene with the authorities had he been alive and present at that time.

Sure he submitted to God's will the same as Our Lady but not in the perfect way she did, right? That makes me wonder whether he would've tried to stop the guards and the Romans from attacking his son, or whether he might've thrown himself under the whips when Christ was scourged, or even tried to offer himself as to be executed instead, like I think most fathers instinctually would.

Is there any discourse on this already? That Saint Joseph's absence from that part of the story was both a necessity for God's plan to happen and an act of mercy on Saint Joseph by God.

Just some random thoughts I had here thinking about fatherhood and the model earthly father for all Catholics.
Saint Joseph is one of my favorite saints. The name "Joseph" means "God will add" in the Hebrew language. God definitely added, as He gave Joseph a son through Mary via immaculate conception. Then 30+ years later, Jesus died for our sins. :)

This is an anime style of St. Joseph holding Jesus in his arms, by the artist Gabriel. Found him randomly on the internet a few minutes ago.

Also, congrats on being a father for 18 months. Hopefully it goes well for you, brother.

1715736477644.jpeg

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saint Joseph is one of my favorite saints. The name "Joseph" means "God will add" in the Hebrew language. God definitely added, as He gave Joseph a son through Mary via immaculate conception. Then 30+ years later, Jesus died for our sins. :)

This is an anime style of St. Joseph holding Jesus in his arms, by the artist Gabriel. Found him randomly on the internet a few minutes ago.

Also, congrats on being a father for 18 months. Hopefully it goes well for you, brother.

View attachment 347852
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

If you've never read the Consecration to Saint Joseph by Fr Donald Calloway MIC, I highly recommend it. One of his brother priests from the same order wrote 33 Days to Morning Glory (a Marian consecration I've also done, written by Fr Michael Gaitley, MIC).

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you've never read the Consecration to Saint Joseph by Fr Donald Calloway MIC, I highly recommend it. One of his brother priests from the same order wrote 33 Days to Morning Glory (a Marian consecration I've also done, written by Fr Michael Gaitley, MIC).

You are welcome. I might check this book out from the library, once I get done with a sci-fi book.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I’ve done the consecration.

I need to have a better devotion to him in general.

Thank you for sharing

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

View attachment 347852
Thank you for your knowledge.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,564.00
Country
United States