Minnesota
Visit site
✟10,066.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In Isaiah 1, 13; It says:

"Bring no more futile sacrifices; Incence is an abomination to me. The new moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies-- I cannot endure iniquality and the sacred meeting"

I do not undersatnd what this verse is saying, any interpretations would help. Thanks a lot.

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Basically, yes. This prefigures the New Covenant, in which the ritual sacrifices would be done away with completely by Christ's sacrifice on the cross. The sacrifice we offer to God under the New Covenant is worship in spirit and in truth, an offering of our whole being to God, coming from a pure heart.

Upvote 0
Well, it's more difficult than calling the Jews hypocrites, and saying Yahweh's charge to stop sacrificing prefigures Christ. That's actually a pretty crass way of putting it unless you have a bit of a grip on the dating of Isaiah, the books intended audience, and the historical context of the post-exilic and pre-exilic periods, and 1st century Palestinian Judaism. I would recommend doing some reading on that first. In order to set your bearings right, NT Wright's book "The CHallenge of Jesus" may be a good place to start.

Anyway, I'd rather not write out a huge explanation and defense as to how I read this first chapter of Isaiah, but those are some thoughts.
-J

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.