Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You should not be offended by one such as I that have chosen by faith to prefer the King James Version. You and I must both stand before God and give an account of our own ministries. You'll not change my mind. I prefer a simple childlike faith and have for 42 years now.

I reiterate . . .

My stand on the KJB is based on faith in a God that promised He would preserve His Word faithfully unto all generations, which is why I prefer the term "biblicist" to "fundamentalist"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You should not be offended by one such as I that have chosen by faith to prefer the King James Version. You and I must both stand before God and give an account of our own ministries. You'll not change my mind. I prefer a simple childlike faith and have for 42 years now.

I reiterate . . .

My stand on the KJB is based on faith in a God that promised He would preserve His Word faithfully unto all generations, which is why I prefer the term "biblicist" to "fundamentalist"

Listen, I was raised on the KJV.

It is my preferred version. The one I go to to study, to read, to preach, and teach from.

But it is not "perfect".

It is not "preserved".

It is not "inspired".

The KJV has served the church well since 1611, and provided the Lord tarries, it will continue to serve the church for another 400+ years.

*staff edit*

Not only that, but if what you said is true:

My stand on the KJB is based on faith in a God that promised He would preserve His Word faithfully unto all generations,

Then we must say faithfully that God failed. How was His word "preserved" for the 1578 years of the church, before the "Authorized Version (KJ)" was issued?

The "original" preface to the 1611 Authorized Version can easily be found on the internet, carefully preserved. Even their own words dispel you KJVO types.

They themselves NEVER claimed for themselves to be "inspired".

They themselves NEVER said there was anything wrong with any version that preceded theirs.

They were only doing what others have done more recently, taking an outdated language, and bringing it up to date.

Everything I said can be verified here:

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER, Preface to the King James Version 1611

10 Parts, I suggest you read their own words.

On one hand, if its simply your own preferred version, that's one thing. We can agree on that.

But if your stance is based on it being "preserved". Then I ask you to submit to me, where in the entire Bible, in all scripture, where God said He would "preserve His word for all generations" in an as yet, unknown language, some millennia in the future. And why hasn't God done that with any of the previous versions that preceded it? Or, why has God not "preserved" His word in the ESV, ASV, RSV, or even any of the 5200 Greek MSS we have now?

Like I said, being loyal to a version you were raised on, study, preach, and or teach from is one thing. But the other that you tout, is untenable.

Sorry.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
These facts are indisputable.

History shows us this in regards to the "Authorized Version of 1611":

"Instructions were given to the translators that were intended to limit the Puritan influence on this new translation. And "the King gave the translators instructions designed to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of the Church of England.

In addition:

"James' instructions included several requirements that kept the new translation familiar to its listeners and readers. The text of the Bishops' Bible would serve as the primary guide for the translators, and the familiar proper names of the biblical characters would all be retained. If the Bishops' Bible was deemed problematic in any situation, the translators were permitted to consult other translations from a pre-approved list: the Tyndale Bible, the Coverdale Bible, Matthew's Bible, the Great Bible, and the Geneva Bible. In addition, later scholars have detected an influence on the Authorized Version from the translations of Taverner's Bible and the New Testament of the Douay–Rheims Bible.

For their New Testament, the translators chiefly used the 1598 and 1588/89 Greek editions of Theodore Beza, which also present Beza's Latin version of the Greek and Stephanus's edition of the Latin Vulgate. Both of these versions were extensively referred to, as the translators conducted all discussions amongst themselves in Latin. F.H.A. Scrivener identifies 190 readings where the Authorized Version translators depart from Beza's Greek text, generally in maintaining the wording of the Bishop's Bible and other earlier English translations. In about half of these instances, the Authorized Version translators appear to follow the earlier 1550 Greek Textus Receptus of Stephanus. For the other half, Scrivener was usually able to find corresponding Greek readings in the editions of Erasmus, or in the Complutensian Polyglot. However, in several dozen readings he notes that no printed Greek text corresponds to the English of the Authorized Version, which in these places derives directly from the Vulgate. For example, at John 10:16, the Authorized Version reads "one fold" (as did the Bishops' Bible, and the 16th century vernacular versions produced in Geneva), following the Latin Vulgate "unum ovile", whereas Tyndale had agreed more closely with the Greek, "one flocke" (μία ποίμνη). The Authorized Version New Testament owes much more to the Vulgate than does the Old Testament; still, at least 80% of the text is unaltered from Tyndale's translation.

The translators appear to have otherwise made no first-hand study of ancient manuscript sources, even those that – like the Codex Bezae – would have been readily available to them. In addition to all previous English versions (including, and contrary to their instructions, the Rheimish New Testament[ which in their preface they criticized); they made wide and eclectic use of all printed editions in the original languages then available, including the ancient Syriac New Testament printed with an interlinear Latin gloss in the Antwerp Polyglot of 1573. In the preface the translators acknowledge consulting translations and commentaries in Chaldee, Hebrew, Syrian, Greek, Latin, Spanish, French, Italian, and German.

The translators took the Bishop's Bible as their source text, and where they departed from that in favour of another translation, this was most commonly the Geneva Bible. However, the degree to which readings from the Bishop's Bible survived into final text of the King James Bible varies greatly from company to company, as did the propensity of the King James translators to coin phrases of their own. John Bois's notes of the General Committee of Review show that they discussed readings derived from a wide variety of versions and patristic sources; including explicitly both Henry Savile's 1610 edition of the works of John Chrysostom and the Rheims New Testament, which was the primary source for many of the literal alternative readings provided for the marginal notes.

Sources:

a b c d e f Daniell 2003, p. 439. (Daniell, David (2003). The Bible in English: its history and influence. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press.)
a b Daniell 2003, p. 436. Ibid
a b Daniell 2003, p. 434. Ibid
Bobrick 2001, p. 328. (Daniell, David (2003). The Bible in English: its history and influence. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press
Norton 2005, p. 10. (Norton, David (2005). A Textual History of the King James Bible. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.)
a b Bobrick 2001, p. 223. Ibid
Daniell 2003, p. 442. Ibid
Daniell 2003, p. 444. Ibid
Scrivener 1884, p. 60. (Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose (1884). The Authorized Edition of the English Bible, 1611, its subsequent reprints and modern representatives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.)
Scrivener 1884, pp. 243–63. Ibid
Scrivener 1884, p. 262. Ibid
Daniell 2003, p. 448. Ibid
Scrivener 1884, p. 59. Ibid
a b Daniell 2003, p. 440. Ibid
Bois, Allen & Walker 1969, p. xxv. (Bois, John; Allen, Ward; Walker, Anthony (1969). Translating for King James; being a true copy of the only notes made by a translator of King James's Bible, the Authorized Version, as the Final Committee of Review revised the translation of Romans through Revelation at Stationers' Hall in London in 1610–1611. Taken by John Bois ... these notes were for three centuries lost, and only now are come to light, through a copy made by the hand of William Fulman. Here translated and edited by Ward Allen. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.)
Bobrick 2001, p. 246. Ibid
KJV Translators to the Reader 1611. Ibid
Bois, Allen & Walker 1969, p. 118. Ibid

Main Source

*staff edit*

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟702,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
This thread has undergone a small clean. Please refrain from flaming and goading remarks, addressing the topic of the conversation rather than the person making the posts.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One of the major rubs against Fundametalism is that we tend to "shoot our wounded." Brethren, this thing ought not to be! We are all sinners saved by grace and not a one of us have arrived to the place in 1 Jo 3:2 where we are "like him", but we are simply in the process of becoming. I know some doctrinal views can be divisive, even among Bible believers, we in some cases we just have to agree to disagree. So long as it isn't an essential of the faith like the virgin birth.

i agree. We ALL have been or WILL be "wounded" at one time or another. Grace, and mercy is in very short supply, it seems.

We are ALL "one". There WILL be struggles, and stumblings. The brother over there who stumbled is "us". That sister who is discouraged and withdrawn and messed up BIG TIME is "us".

We ALL are susceptible to the enemy's wiles, etc.

Prayer for each other and ourselves is needed.

The enemy is BUSY, and you can count on him STILL going about as a roaring lion seeking who he may devour.

And lest we think that it's not referring to "us", maybe we need to refer to this verse:

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." 1 Cor 10:12

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i agree. We ALL have been or WILL be "wounded" at one time or another. Grace, and mercy is in very short supply, it seems.

We are ALL "one". There WILL be struggles, and stumblings. The brother over there who stumbled is "us". That sister who is discouraged and withdrawn and messed up BIG TIME is "us".

We ALL are susceptible to the enemy's wiles, etc.

Prayer for each other and ourselves is needed.

The enemy is BUSY, and you can count on him STILL going about as a roaring lion seeking who he may devour.

And lest we think that it's not referring to "us", maybe we need to refer to this verse:

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." 1 Cor 10:12

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

I agree.

But my posts were in regards to this statement:

Do we still believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Bible? Do we believe that God is able to preserve and protect His Word down through the centuries of human existence?

I am an "Olde Tyme Baptist and Fundamentalist".

And like I said, when Fundamentalism came into its own, in 1878 they said:

"The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scriptures in the original manuscripts."

14 point creed of the Niagara Bible Conference of 1878

Since then, Fundamentalism has somehow turned into a "KJVO" group! As seen in this thread.

And I will, no matter the cost, fight that idea.

Nowhere does it say in the scriptures that God would preserve His word in the KJV!

Just like many many versions before, the KJV was a work performed by man. The KJ translators were not "inspired", they were not kept from "errors".

The KJV is a very good Bible, it has served the church well for the last 400 years. And provided the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years.

I will fight KJVOnlyism with all my fiber, all my strength, all my power. KJVOnlyism makes the 1611 version an idol. And to not use any version, including the Greek MSS, an affront to God. And brother, that is wrong. PERIOD!

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree.

But my posts were in regards to this statement:

I am an "Olde Tyme Baptist and Fundamentalist".

And like I said, when Fundamentalism came into its own, in 1878 they said:

"The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scriptures in the original manuscripts."

14 point creed of the Niagara Bible Conference of 1878

Since then, Fundamentalism has somehow turned into a "KJVO" group! As seen in this thread.

And I will, no matter the cost, fight that idea.

Nowhere does it say in the scriptures that God would preserve His word in the KJV!

Just like many many versions before, the KJV was a work performed by man. The KJ translators were not "inspired", they were not kept from "errors".

The KJV is a very good Bible, it has served the church well for the last 400 years. And provided the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years.

I will fight KJVOnlyism with all my fiber, all my strength, all my power. KJVOnlyism makes the 1611 version an idol. And to not use any version, including the Greek MSS, an affront to God. And brother, that is wrong. PERIOD!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Whatzzamatta' wif da KJV, brother? :p

Are you repulsed by it?

Allergic?

Are you saying, when you speak of an "idol", that one is worshiping the "book" itself, and totally bereft of/omitting the One it is speaking of?

i jest, brother, however, your post caused me much curiosity.

On another note, although i promise it's related, what does this verse mean to you? (Just curious).

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jere 33:3

And as always, thank you for your patience, brother. :)

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whatzzamatta' wif da KJV, brother? :p

Are you repulsed by it?

Allergic?

Are you saying, when you speak of an "idol", that one is worshiping the "book" itself, and totally bereft of/omitting the One it is speaking of?

i jest, brother, however, your post caused me much curiosity.

On another note, although i promise it's related, what does this verse mean to you? (Just curious).

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jere 33:3

And as always, thank you for your patience, brother. :)

Have you not ever dealt with the KJVOnly crowd?

Here are prime examples of what they tout:
  1. The KJ version is the only version anybody should EVER use.
  2. The KJ translators were "inspired".
  3. It is completely "error" free.
  4. God said He would preserve His word forever, it was "preserved" in the KJ version ONLY!
  5. In some churches, I have personally witnessed Pastors making the congregation stand up, and swear allegiance to the KJV!
And that is but five things that they tout!

Now don't misunderstand me, the KJV is the version I use. It is the version I study, preach, and teach from. It has served the church well for 400 years, and if the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years.

Is the KJV the ONLY version you should use? No!
The KJ translators NEVER claimed for themselves divine "inspiration"!
AS far as the essential doctrines on which Christianity stands or falls, yes, the KJV is error free. But, it does have mistranslations.
I ask that somebody provide for a verse in the scriptures that says God would preserve His word in an as yet "future" unknown language, English, and more specifically, where He said He would preserve it in the KJV!
Once you start swearing allegiance to a particular "bible" it becomes an idol. Much like reciting prayers to dead saints.

I also ask that you show me the phrase "phantasma agios" (Holy Ghost) in scripture.

Every mention of the 3rd person of the trinity is ALWAYS "pneuma agios"! (Holy Spirit)

God Bless

Till all are one.

Shall I go on?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
. it just seems strange to me that that particular word made the list.
I looked it up in Wuest Expanded Greek.

In the Expanded Greek the word "debate" is not there. Instead is the word "wrangling". (much different I think, and solves the problem of being 'strange' for "debate" to be there for you? )

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you not ever dealt with the KJVOnly crowd?

Here are prime examples of what they tout:
  1. The KJ version is the only version anybody should EVER use.
  2. The KJ translators were "inspired".
  3. It is completely "error" free.
  4. God said He would preserve His word forever, it was "preserved" in the KJ version ONLY!
  5. In some churches, I have personally witnessed Pastors making the congregation stand up, and swear allegiance to the KJV!
And that is but five things that they tout!

Now don't misunderstand me, the KJV is the version I use. It is the version I study, preach, and teach from. It has served the church well for 400 years, and if the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years.

Is the KJV the ONLY version you should use? No!
The KJ translators NEVER claimed for themselves divine "inspiration"!
AS far as the essential doctrines on which Christianity stands or falls, yes, the KJV is error free. But, it does have mistranslations.
I ask that somebody provide for a verse in the scriptures that says God would preserve His word in an as yet "future" unknown language, English, and more specifically, where He said He would preserve it in the KJV!
Once you start swearing allegiance to a particular "bible" it becomes an idol. Much like reciting prayers to dead saints.

I also ask that you show me the phrase "phantasma agios" (Holy Ghost) in scripture.

Every mention of the 3rd person of the trinity is ALWAYS "pneuma agios"! (Holy Spirit)

God Bless

Till all are one.

Shall I go on?

i believe we may have had a similar conversation a while back. Other translations are missing whole verses. The originators of most of those translations were in the Westcott and Hort camp. I believe i mentioned who and what associations they (Westcott and Hort) were deeply involved with, ie; Madame Blavatsky and her Theosophy, and necromancy, etc.

Westcott and Hort were amongst the founders of the Cambridge
Ghost Society in 1851. They were involved in the occult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i believe we may have had a similar conversation a while back. Other translations are missing whole verses. The originators of most of those translations were in the Westcott and Hort camp. I believe i mentioned who and what associations they (Westcott and Hort) were deeply involved with, ie; Madame Blavatsky and her Theosophy, and necromancy, etc.

Westcott and Hort were amongst the founders of the Cambridge
Ghost Society in 1851. They were involved in the occult.
When you get your information about Wescott and Hort from KJV only sites, this is what you walk away with.

You need to expand your research about Wescott and Hort and the manuscripts used in other translations and you'll realize why they are "missing" verses. And don't just use KJV only sites for that research. Broaden your horizons and search outside of your comfort zone. Don't just read and believe what tickles your ears.

Here's a couple to start with:
Were B.F. Westcott and F.J.A. Hort Apostate Heretics?
The Crusty Curmudgeon: A fresh case study in KJV-only dishonesty

There is no conspiracy against the King James Version even though some would like you to believe that. It's just another version in a long list of versions and none of them are perfect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When you get your information about Wescott and Hort from KJV only sites, this is what you walk away with.

You need to expand your research about Wescott and Hort and the manuscripts used in other translations and you'll realize why they are "missing" verses. And don't just use KJV only sites for that research. Broaden your horizons and search outside of your comfort zone. Don't just read and believe what tickles your ears.

Here's a couple to start with:
Were B.F. Westcott and F.J.A. Hort Apostate Heretics?
The Crusty Curmudgeon: A fresh case study in KJV-only dishonesty

There is no conspiracy against the King James Version even though some would like you to believe that. It's just another version in a long list of versions and none of them are perfect.

Who was Madame Blavatsky?

What was the Cambridge Ghost Society that was founded in 1851?

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who was Madame Blavatsky?

What was the Cambridge Ghost Society that was founded in 1851?
Those questions are for you to answer by proper research rather than forming your assumptions based upon KJV only websites and blogs.

The true answers are out there.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Those questions are for you to answer by proper research rather than forming your assumptions based upon KJV only websites and blogs.

The true answers are out there.

They are for you to answer, my friend. Wikipedia and Google, etc. are chock full with this history and who Helena Petrovna Blavatsky was and the society she founded and why she founded it, for instance.

God bless you.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge:" ~Hos 4:6

Upvote 0

BaptistBibleBeliever

Brother Virgil
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2018
McHenry
Visit site
✟41,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
From Wikipedia

Cambridge Ghost Society[edit]
The Cambridge Association for Spiritual Inquiry, known informally as the Cambridge Ghost Society or the Ghostlie Guild, was founded by Benson and Brooke Foss Westcott in 1851 at Trinity College.[4][5] Westcott worked as its secretary until 1860.[6] The society collected and investigated reports of ghosts. Other notable members included Alfred Barry and Henry Sidgwick.[4] It has been described as a predecessor of the Society for Psychical Research.[4][7]

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are for you to answer, my friend. Wikipedia and Google, etc. are chock full with this history and who Helena Petrovna Blavatsky was and the society she founded and why she founded it, for instance.

God bless you.

What she was isn't the issue. She was a known occultist.

However, the claims of her ties to Wescott and Hort are dubious at best.
H.P. Blavatsky for the Defense

And your question about the Ghost Society is answered in one of the links I previously posted.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Westcott and Hort, and whomever/whatever they gravitated towards IS the issue. Including what they co-founded.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

And your question about the Ghost Society is answered in one of the links I previously posted.
There's also information on it in post #55.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's also information on it in post #55.

Concerning Wescott. He stated:
"Many years ago I had occasion to investigate spiritualistic phenomena with some care [more than likely the Ghostly Guild], and I came to a clear conclusion, which I feel bound to express in answer to your circular. It appears to me that in this, as in all spiritual questions, Holy Scripture is our supreme guide. I observe, then, that while spiritual ministries are constantly recorded in the Bible, there is not the faintest encouragement to seek them. The case, indeed, is far otherwise. I cannot, therefore, but regard every voluntary approach to beings such as those who are supposed to hold communication with men through mediums as unlawful and perilous. I find in the fact of the Incarnation all that man (so far as I can see) requires for life and hope."

The source for this is from one of the links I provided.

Carefully read and consider the information in all of the links I have posted. That's all I have to say in this matter.

If you choose to continue to consider only one side - the KJV Only side - of the issue, we have nothing further to discuss.

Upvote 0