Aug 23, 2007
✟799,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I see people post pictures of the inside of their parishes or Cathedrals, they are so much better looking than the one I go to. I wonder if my Diocese has all the bland ones. OK, I guess that's not entirely true but I wish that some Catholic churches were not so bland looking inside, because they're not supposed to be that way. My Cathedral is so bland looking inside compared to other Cathedrals. It used to be absolutely gorgeous but they stripped all the art down.

Reactions: RileyG

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I see people post pictures of the inside of their parishes or Cathedrals, they are so much better looking than the one I go to. I wonder if my Diocese has all the bland ones. OK, I guess that's not entirely true but I wish that some Catholic churches were not so bland looking inside, because they're not supposed to be that way. My Cathedral is so bland looking inside compared to other Cathedrals. It used to be absolutely gorgeous but they stripped all the art down.
Mine is the same. Some Churches really stripped things down after Vatican II and never returned to their former glory.

• Informative
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard that V2 was the reason for mine too. Why did V2 order this?
Clergy in parishes just got overzealous. I’m not sure Vatican II ordered anything as far as that was concerned.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might be interested in this:

Following the Second Vatican Council, in the United States, much architectural change was driven by the 1977 book Environment and Art in Catholic Worship published by NCCB when then-Archbishop Bernardin was president.[5][6][7] It extolled the "virtue of simplicity and commonness" and "a simple and attractive beauty", which represented the ideals of modern architecture. It also called for "contemporary art forms", "cloth hangings" and "banners". Although not binding, it was followed by church redesigners such as Richard S. Vosko.

Pope Benedict XVI believed the reforms following the Second Vatican Council went too far, and advocated for what has been called "reform of the reform",[8] as he believed the some had gone astray from the intentions of the Council, stating in his motu proprio Quaerit semper to "focus mainly on giving a fresh impetus to promoting the Sacred Liturgy in the Church, in accordance with the renewal that the Second Vatican Council desired".[9] The following month, he supported Antonio Cañizares Llovera, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, to establish a "Liturgical Art and Sacred Music Commission", which would be responsible for evaluating both new construction and renovation projects as well as music used during the celebration of Mass to ensure that they complied with church guidelines. Pope Benedict considered the commission's task "very urgent".[10] However, with the election of Pope Francis, nothing further was heard about the commission, and in his apostolic letter Magnum principium, Pope Francis removed some of the authority of the CDW over the liturgy.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, modern churches can be a bit boring or dull, and it is understandable that you may feel disappointed or envious when comparing the interior of your parish or Cathedral to those you have seen in pictures that appear more ornate or beautiful. There are several reasons why some Catholic churches may look different from one another, and it is essential to remember that each church reflects the unique history, culture, and artistic traditions of its community.

The condition and appearance of a Catholic church's interior can be influenced by various factors. For instance, the age of the building, available resources for maintenance and restoration, and the preferences and priorities of the parishioners and clergy can all play a role in how a church looks. Buildings built in the 1970s tend to have a more minimalist design approach, compared to buildings built in say, the 19th century and before.

Historically, many Catholic churches built before the 1900s were adorned with intricate artwork, including frescoes, statues, and stained glass windows, which were designed to inspire awe and reverence in worshippers. However, during the 20th century, there was a trend towards simplifying church interiors as part of the liturgical reforms following the Second Vatican Council, as @Michie said. This led to the removal or covering up of some artistic elements in some churches, with the intention of focusing more on the liturgy and less on external decoration.

Remember, the value and beauty of a church are not solely determined by its physical appearance. The community of people (believers) that gathers there, the faithfulness of its members, and the spiritual nourishment provided through the sacraments are all essential aspects of a vibrant and meaningful Catholic parish or Cathedral.

If you feel that your church could benefit from more artistic elements, it may be worth reaching out to your parish leadership or diocesan authorities to express your concerns and suggestions. They may be open to exploring ways to enhance the interior of your church, such as through restoration projects or the addition of new artwork that is respectful of the liturgical principles established by the Second Vatican Council.

In the meantime, it can be helpful to focus on the spiritual benefits that your church provides and to find ways to engage more deeply in the life of your community. You may also find inspiration by learning about the history and significance of Catholic art and architecture, which can help you appreciate the unique beauty of various churches and their role in nurturing the faith of believers. Catholic history goes back nearly two millennia, so you will have plenty of stuff to research.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My parish isn’t pretty at all, but this summer they’re going to remodel it so there will finally be some big improvements.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mine is the same. Some Churches really stripped things down after Vatican II and never returned to their former glory.
Is that what happened? My church was built in the early 70’s. It’s built in the round and is pretty plain. It looks a lot better from the outside.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟799,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My parish isn’t pretty at all, but this summer they’re going to remodel it so there will finally be some big improvements.
My former parish is remodeling too but I'm kind of worried it will cause the parish I prefer now to be "threatened by competition." They're only a mile apart. I sound a little mean right now, but I don't want my parish to lose to the former one. I have antipathy for the former one.
Is that what happened? My church was built in the early 70’s. It’s built in the round and is pretty plain. It looks a lot better from the outside.
FWIW, my current parish does have a very nice outside appearance, I'll admit that. I love its bells too, that ring at the top of the noon and 6 o'clock hours.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My former parish is remodeling too but I'm kind of worried it will cause the parish I prefer now to be "threatened by competition." They're only a mile apart. I sound a little mean right now, but I don't want my parish to lose to the former one. I have antipathy for the former one.

FWIW, my current parish does have a very nice outside appearance, I'll admit that. I love its bells too, that ring at the top of the noon and 6 o'clock hours.
I love the sound of church bells too. Ours go off every 15 minutes during the day and I can hear them from the outside of my house. I even heard them inside one or twice. But I’ve never seen any actual bells. i think it’s a recording or something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟607,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This one is pretty glorious. I snapped this off Coit tower 2 days ago in San Francisco, at about 2:00 AM - it's of St. Peter and Paul Church, San Francisco, CA.

1000003805.jpg

...If only I had a better camera. Oh well.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟479,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1716043868397.png

1716043890413.png

1716043925983.png

I prefer going to this Church but it is travel.

THIS is the one near me..

1716043983711.png

1716044026640.png

I can walk to this one. But it's eh...
I love attending Mass anywhere.

I just like the prettier at the top one.

THIS link is where I took my children growing up.
GORGEOUS WOOD WORK.

AND this one..
This one my grandfather helped build and my favorite tbh.
I attended school at this location and could walk there.

1716044209395.png

1716044283751.png

Back when I was a child they had Latin and angels all over the walls. They eventually painted over a lot of art.
The walls were beautiful and ornate with angels and a green [sage green or split pea] and sometime in the 80's they painted over most of it with beige.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The Cathedral in Lincoln, NE- the most conservative diocese in the United States- is surprisingly very bland.

The FSSP chapel in Lincoln, on the other hand, is incredibly beautiful.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I heard that V2 was the reason for mine too. Why did V2 order this?
It didn't really order it but Vatican II was the excuse that a lot of eagerly iconoclastic priests were happy to use to protestantize their sacred spaces.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My church isn’t pretty at all. I was going to register at another one near here which isn’t beautiful but prettier than mine but mine is literally across from my subdivision so I usually just go there. We’ve got wonderful priests which is really nice. All three are fairly new, like arriving about a year or less ago.
i love our deacons, too. They’re starting the remodeling project in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟799,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Cathedral in Lincoln, NE- the most conservative diocese in the United States- is surprisingly very bland.

The FSSP chapel in Lincoln, on the other hand, is incredibly beautiful.
It didn't really order it but Vatican II was the excuse that a lot of eagerly iconoclastic priests were happy to use to protestantize their sacred spaces.
My Diocesan Cathedral is tragically bland. The side walls are actually not bad, but the dome-ceiling area is all beige and it used to be inundated with artwork and statues, absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine a single legitimate excuse for raping it all apart.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My Diocesan Cathedral is tragically bland. The side walls are actually not bad, but the dome-ceiling area is all beige and it used to be inundated with artwork and statues, absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine a single legitimate excuse for raping it all apart.
I agree with you, it’s unconscionable to remove sacred art and statuary from any space where Catholic worship happens. It’s also unconscionable to cast sacred architecture aside in favor of some design fads from the mid 20th century.

Its both a sad fact and a source of hope that there were a lot of priests who were ordained in between the 60s and 90s fetishized Protestantism more than they revered their own Church, and tried to adapt the Church to a Protestant playbook rather than recognizing that the Church has more at her disposal within herself than Protestantism could ever hope.

Where the hope comes in is that disastrous detour is almost over and the preference for guitars, felt banners, homiletical comedy, and short sleeved clerical shirts will almost entirely die when the boomers do.

Upvote 0