✟72,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Count Christoph von Schoenborn ?

What, does he go around counting faster, counting till he drops ?

Ah, ah, ah.

Seriously, the high mass for the induction of Schoenborn would probably be the social event of the year for the European peerage.

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would LOVE it if he was the next pope!

The Holy Stone of Clonrichart(sp) said:
Bishop Facks: So, Father. Do you ever have any doubts about the religious life? Is your faith ever tested? Anything you would be worried about? Any doubts you've been having about any aspects of belief? Anything like that?

Father Dougal: Well, you know the way God made us all, right? And he's looking down at us from heaven and everything?

Bishop Facks: Uh-huh.[nods]

Father Dougal: And then his son came down and saved everyone and all that?

Bishop Facks: Yes.

Father Dougal: And when we die we're all going to go to heaven?

Bishop Facks: Yes. What about it?

Father Dougal: Well, that's the bit I have trouble with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If I had to put money down, I'd put it on Cardinal Bertone. He might be the most powerful Cardinal in the Vatican right now and travels a lot internationally (Which is seen as a key sign of someone who may be Pope) and is always quoted in insider circles. Plus, he's Italian, which I figure still might count for something, though we haven't had an Italian Pope in a while. :)

If I had to pick someone from the list as someone I'd most want to be Pope, I'd probably pick Cardinal Matini (If he's the guy I'm thinking of, there are so many similar names!), but even I have to admit, he's almost certainly too old and too liberal to be selected realistically.

Anyhow, I agree with Dr. Steve, I wish Pope Benedict XVI many years of continued health. This is just a little hypothetical fun for me. I enjoy these types of things. Election day for our country government is a lot of fun for me, too. :)

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about me?

I'd LOVE to be the first Pope who was a Lutheran! ;)

Any reply I make is gonna get reported, so I'll just say your odds are only higher than mine as the first married Calvinist Pope.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What about me?

I'd LOVE to be the first Pope who was a Lutheran! ;)

Who ever heard of Catholicism being an important criteria for the Papacy? ;) Yeesh, we all know what really counts is your stance on the Tridentine Latin Mass. ;)

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who ever heard of Catholicism being an important criteria for the Papacy? ;) Yeesh, we all know what really counts is your stance on the Tridentine Latin Mass. ;)

If I take the class on preparing the service at our local seminary, one of the things I want to do is to chant the entire service in Latin (from memory) according to the Liber Usualis.

I just want to show them that this German Lutheran can out-High Mass the Anglicans and out-Tridentine the Tridentines!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

JasonV

If I take the class on preparing the service at our local seminary, one of the things I want to do is to chant the entire service in Latin (from memory) according to the Liber Usualis.

I just want to show them that this German Lutheran can out-High Mass the Anglicans and out-Tridentine the Tridentines!

My copy of the Liber Usualis is so hard to understand for me. I don't understand the musical notation. I can't really read music anyway, but square notes? What happened to bass and treble clef?

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My copy of the Liber Usualis is so hard to understand for me. I don't understand the musical notation. I can't really read music anyway, but square notes? What happened to bass and treble clef?

The square notes are pneumes, and the clefs are "C" clefs: at the far left, you'll see what looks like a small bracket next to one of the lines on the clef. That bracket denotes the location of middle C on the staff. The lower the position of the bracket (or location of middle C), the higher the tessitura (median pitch); the higher the position of the bracket denoting middle C, the lower the tessitura.

This was the standard musical notation from about 850 CE until the late 1400s; the music system we're used to with quarter notes, half notes, brackets, treble and bass clefs began developing during the Ars Nova in mid to late 14th century motets and secular music (you should hear some of this: it's more reminiscent of Igor Stravinsky and Paul Hindemith!) and became standardized by the early 16th century.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

The square notes are pneumes, and the clefs are "C" clefs: at the far left, you'll see what looks like a small bracket next to one of the lines on the clef. That bracket denotes the location of middle C on the staff. The lower the position of the bracket (or location of middle C), the higher the tessitura (median pitch); the higher the position of the bracket denoting middle C, the lower the tessitura.

This was the standard musical notation from about 850 CE until the late 1400s; the music system we're used to with quarter notes, half notes, brackets, treble and bass clefs began developing during the Ars Nova in mid to late 14th century motets and secular music (you should hear some of this: it's more reminiscent of Igor Stravinsky and Paul Hindemith!) and became standardized by the early 16th century.

I'm sure that makes pretty good sense for some people, but brother, I'm at a bit of a loss. :confused:

That's ok. I do enjoy my gregorian chant CD's, even If I can't do it myself. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.