My Theory Challenge Poll

Have all theories past and present been valid theories at one time?

• Total voters

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The process is that as soon as a plausible and interesting new theory is fully presented and seen by many, then several or even very many scientists will then respond by trying to prove it false with tests/observations.

That's
the scientific process.

I guess you can't argue against a system that builds a house, then blows it to smithereens and calls it "progress."

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,166,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess you can't argue against a system that builds a house, then blows it to smithereens and calls it "progress."
Physics is about how nature works -- for example, the theories called Newton's laws are a great classic example -- and the the aim and goal of physics isn't to build a 'house' exactly, but instead the main goal continues to be to figure out how nature is constructed/works.

The goal is discovery of what already exists.

What is nature's deep design?
That's what physics seeks to discover.

To understand nature better. To find out how nature works more fully, until maybe someday we might have the most fundamental design begin to appear.

So, any theory is then both a step but also possibly a wrong step or a step that leaves us without a clue where to go next, and so the continuing process is to continue to find new ways to test still surviving theories (that haven't yet been shown wrong), aiming to find where existing theory fails in a very precise way, using any technique/observations we can -- to get that key direction for the next step: to find the precise limit or exact situation where a strong existing theory fails. (the precise exact situation where a theory fails is an invaluable clue of why it failed and a helpful guide to devise new theories that could possibly work in that situation/area/domain, which will then need to be tested as possible in any way physicists can figure out)

Last edited:
Upvote 0