Indianapolis
✟16,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My name is Carter, and I'm gonna be honest, I want to commit suicide. I came to Christ a year ago, and while this was the best decision I've ever made and also the happiest, it's also been the hardest.

For a year now, I've had to wrestle with the fact that God does not accept homosexuality. This is emotionally difficult because I have a very dear family member who is gay. My uncle for as long as I can remember has been gay. He's been a role model to me and I love him very much. I've always been raised to believe that being gay is okay, and my entire family has been nothing but accepting of him.

But now I have to oppose homosexuality, and I can't do it. I can't imagine having to look my parents in the face and tell them that it's wrong, and I couldn't dream of telling my uncle that. I can't bear having to inform them that anyone who practices it will suffer and go to hell for eternity.

The thought of causing them so much grief and anguish is horrific to me. It would break my mother's heart, and cause my whole family to estrange themselves from me. There is no escaping that they would hate me, refuse to talk to me, and worse. This to me is unendurable, and the thought of opposing my uncle for several years to come sounds like a hell on Earth.

Jesus said that anyone who loves family more than Him is not worthy, and even though I want to be worthy, I can't do this. I am not worthy, and I can't imagine having to bear all this pain for years on end. I see no other way out than to kill myself and avoid the unending pain that's coming.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My name is Carter, and I'm gonna be honest, I want to commit suicide. I came to Christ a year ago, and while this was the best decision I've ever made and also the happiest, it's also been the hardest.

For a year now, I've had to wrestle with the fact that God does not accept homosexuality. This is emotionally difficult because I have a very dear family member who is gay. My uncle for as long as I can remember has been gay. He's been a role model to me and I love him very much. I've always been raised to believe that being gay is okay, and my entire family has been nothing but accepting of him.

But now I have to oppose homosexuality, and I can't do it. I can't imagine having to look my parents in the face and tell them that it's wrong, and I couldn't dream of telling my uncle that. I can't bear having to inform them that anyone who practices it will suffer and go to hell for eternity.

The thought of causing them so much grief and anguish is horrific to me. It would break my mother's heart, and cause my whole family to estrange themselves from me. There is no escaping that they would hate me, refuse to talk to me, and worse. This to me is unendurable, and the thought of opposing my uncle for several years to come sounds like a hell on Earth.

Jesus said that anyone who loves family more than Him is not worthy, and even though I want to be worthy, I can't do this. I am not worthy, and I can't imagine having to bear all this pain for years on end. I see no other way out than to kill myself and avoid the unending pain that's coming.
Slow down just a moment. You can love anyone who is gay, in fact God wants you to love gay people just like He wants you to love everyone else. Now it is entirely normal to love someone but not agree with what they are doing. You need not change anything about the way you have conducted your life and you certainly do not need to terminate your life over this. How do you think your uncle would feel if you did that? Your parents love you and will support your Christian lifestyle. there is no need to confront your uncle about his lifestyle, just love him and pray for him and in time you might be surprised to find out that he has decided on his own to change his lifestyle. And if not that is ok too.
OK no more thought about hurting yourself?

Upvote 0

CarterisHere

Feb 2, 2022
Indianapolis
✟16,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Slow down just a moment. You can love anyone who is gay, in fact God wants you to love gay people just like He wants you to love everyone else. Now it is entirely normal to love someone but not agree with what they are doing. You need not change anything about the way you have conducted your life and you certainly do not need to terminate your life over this. How do you think your uncle would feel if you did that? Your parents love you and will support your Christian lifestyle. there is no need to confront your uncle about his lifestyle, just love him and pray for him and in time you might be surprised to find out that he has decided on his own to change his lifestyle. And if not that is ok too.

This is really helpful and I really appreciate your response. But to be honest I don't know how I'm going to respond to my parents when they ask, "Do you oppose homosexuality now?" That question will inevitably come up and with God as my witness I can't lie to them and say it isn't a sin. It's not like I want it to be a sin but that's what God's Word says. I know this is going to cause them so much pain and I want to avoid this as much as possible.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is really helpful and I really appreciate your response. But to be honest I don't know how I'm going to respond to my parents when they ask, "Do you oppose homosexuality now?" That question will inevitably come up and with God as my witness I can't lie to them and say it isn't a sin. It's not like I want it to be a sin but that's what God's Word says. I know this is going to cause them so much pain and I want to avoid this as much as possible.
Well I think you can simply tell them that you love all people and oppose none. If they ask you what God thinks about Homosexuality, tell them that God judges each person based on standards only known to Him. If they ask you what the Bible says you can quote the Bible but at the same time you can tell them what the Bible says about adultery and then point out to them what Jesus did about the woman caught in the act of adultery.

Upvote 0

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..But now I have to oppose homosexuality, and I can't do it. I can't imagine having to look my parents in the face and tell them that it's wrong, and I couldn't dream of telling my uncle that..

Many gays are mostly nice friendly people, sure their bad habit disgusts us, but so do all other bad habits like boozing, smoking, drugging, thieving, lying etc so just leave it to God to sort them out on judgement day.
Personally I find it's best to simply avoid such people and have nothing to do with them.
Remember, GLBT's and those who support them are in the wrong, not you..:)
"What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?..Come out from among them and be separate says the Lord, I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters" (2 Corinthians 6:14-18 )

• Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is very wise counsel! Loving a soul is NOT approving their behavior, but a GODLY thing as God makes clear in His "Word of Truth" --our Holy Bible. Everyone should read it, rather than listen to religious ideas by men. A loving attitude and manner can show one God's love for ALL, as in His "..beloved Son": 'Jesus -the Christ of God' as our Bible teaches. Such a good manner may help one come to Jesus Christ --as in John 3; John 14; John 17; Romans 8; etc.; and that one may be grateful for the counsel ,when they find the Lord Jesus as their own personal 'Savior', and Lord of their life--and their 'best Friend'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0