JK Rowling calls 'crossdressing' men 'one of the most pandered-to demographics in existence'

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Unless you think the fringe represents most Christians, it was a small demographic. Despite what some would have us believe, a few outspoken whackadoodles don't a majority make.

I have a hard time taking seriously the idea that Westboro Baptist types (they're a family cult, not a normal church) represent the typical Evangelical Christian. On here, Evangelicals are sometimes portrayed as simpleton boogeymen with pitchforks. In real life, I've know them as engineers, doctors, military officers, librarians etc. The idea that they were burning books and protesting Harry Potter simply doesn't parse with the reality of my experience.

At the time, I was a young adult college student and I remember those days well. If there was a shift, it was from seeing Rowling as a talented if secular author to one who happens to agree with a common Evangelical position on gender. Not a 180 degree turn from disliking her. Rather, embracing a famous secular person for articulating similar views.
Well said! Most evangelicals are everyday regular folk. Nothing like the WBC cult.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well said! Most evangelicals are everyday regular folk. Nothing like the WBC cult.
Thanks, Riley. Although I don't consider myself an Evangelical these days, most Christians I knew at the time were and they were just regular people. The comparison to WBC theatrics doesn't sit well with me as it stretches credibility.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, Riley. Although I don't consider myself an Evangelical these days, most Christians I knew at the time were and they were just regular people. The comparison to WBC theatrics doesn't sit well with me as it stretches credibility.
Well said! People react if you don’t support the LGBT ideology you must be a WBC bigot. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
#1. So? People can change.

#2. Regarding Anne Rice, I do not know what happened in her final days. I’m aware of her son and her stance on issues. I really, really don’t know if she had a change of heart or not- that’s between her and God- not me. She ultimately answered to God and no one else.

#3. TERF and Cis are just words pro-trans words people like to throw around to promote their fantasy. A man cannot become a woman or vice versa. His chromosomes do not change. Wanting men in woman-only spaces just because he says he’s a woman makes no sense.

I didn't even know Rice had died... I guess this was news lost in the haze of COVID. That's sad news to hear.

Sometimes, the faults of organized religion, with the various hypocrises that are frequent to any organization, are too much for individuals to endure. And if ones faith is mediated through an ecclessial structure, it makes it even harder.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It would seem that JK Rowling has mastered the art of remaining in the news despite not having done anything of note since the Harry Potter phenomenon ended. I was never a part of that (read the first book when I was maybe 20-21 because a girl I was seeing at the time recommended that I give it a try, so I did; I didn't like it), so I don't have any nostalgic feelings wrapped up in that either way, but Rowling herself strikes me as the book world's version of, say, Kid Rock or someone like that: They were both extremely famous about 25 years ago for reasons that I didn't understand then and still don't understand now, and since then have maintained whatever level of fame they have by making progressively more obnoxious public statements, because they know that it will rile up whatever percentage of society that's out there, ready to "tweet" about how terrible they are for whatever they've said. I can't help but feel like playing the game either way ("Yeah! She's right!", or "Boo! She's awful!") is kind of lowering yourself to their level. It's the same sort of issue I have with the likes of Jordan Peterson: Even if he's right in some kind of basic way about the benefits of not leaving your living space a mess, do I really need such a polarizing weirdo who seems uncomfortably obsessed with Hitler to tell me that? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll have to respectfully disagree about the WBC saying the quiet parts loud. While neither may come across in a manner that glorifies Christ, there is a big difference between claiming that "God hates", using a pejorative term for a group of people, and believing that a behavior or social movement is sinful. That doesn't work unless one claims that God hates everyone. We're all born sinners into this world. He hates sin, but he nevertheless loves us. Our forgiveness isn't earned. It is given through Christ.

That being said, I do understand what you're getting at. The two can be easily misunderstood. Especially by those outside of the faith.

If a Christian implies that a group of people are engaged in an "agenda" that is a threat to society, can't you understand how those of us might see it as promoting hatred or contempt towards a group of people?

Christians need to engage in serious dialogue on this issue, not accusations of villany towards people that don't see things their way. Otherwise, it's just talking over the culture and mudslinging in the name of religion. And that's ugly and wrong on many levels.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If a Christian implies that a group of people are engaged in an "agenda" that is a threat to society, can't you understand how those of us might see it as promoting hatred or contempt towards a group of people?

Christians need to engage in serious dialogue on this issue, not accusations of villany towards people that don't see things their way. Otherwise, it's just talking over the culture and mudslinging in the name of religion. And that's ugly and wrong on many levels.
Well yes, I do see how that can be seen as promoting hatred toward a group. Which is why I mentioned that I understand what you're getting at. It's an unfortunate conundrum, and should be discussed with the goal of providing clarity. Will that make much of a difference? It's hard to say. I recall a thread on here a while ago even questioning whether street preachers should say "God loves you" to a random crowd. It seems to me that they should. That God loves his creations even when we're not yet reconciled to him, but there are those who loudly oppose such an idea. Do they, those who insist on hateful God, represent most believers? I'd like to think that they don't, but they sure can be loud about it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well yes, I do see how that can be seen as promoting hatred toward a group. Which is why I mentioned that I understand what you're getting at. It's an unfortunate conundrum, and should be discussed with the goal of providing clarity. Will that make much of a difference? It's hard to say. I recall a thread on here a while ago even questioning whether street preachers should say "God loves you" to a random crowd. It seems to me that they should. That God loves his creations even when we're not yet reconciled to him, but there are those who loudly oppose such an idea. Do they, those who insist on hateful God, represent most believers? I'd like to think that they don't, but they sure can be loud about it.

As a Protestant, the Gospel isn't "We love you, but you aren't acceptable", last time I checked. If that's the message Christians are expected to preach, it will be heard as yet more unloving manipulation in a culture that is already saturated with manipulative messages.

No, the traditional Protestant (and Catholic and Orthodox message, more or less), is that God, in the person of Jesus Christ, has reconciled the world to himself, and that by believing in him, we have eternal life. It is "come as you are", no if's, and's, or but's.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As a Protestant, the Gospel isn't "We love you, but you aren't acceptable", last time I checked. If that's the message Christians are expected to preach, it will be heard as yet more unloving manipulation in a culture that is already saturated with manipulative messages.

No, the traditional Protestant (and Catholic and Orthodox message, more or less), is that God, in the person of Jesus Christ, has reconciled the world to himself, and that by believing in him, we have eternal life. It is "come as you are", no if's, and's, or but's.
I'm in agreement with you on this. We must come as we are, but we also grow in our personal relationship with God. The message is "God loves you". What unfolds from there is between us as individuals and our Creator.

You are referring to "love the sinner, hate the sin". Well, my sins are a topic between myself and God. I prefer to extend that courtesy to other people. It seems to me that's what God intends. They can read God's word, ponder and perhaps wrestle with what's written, and grow spiritually in God's time. That's more or less the trajectory that I find myself on. While my views are quite orthodox, I don't have room in my heart for figuring out where others may or may not be sinning. There's enough for me to work on without looking externally. It seems to me that each of us has enough to keep us occupied without pointing fingers at others.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't even know Rice had died... I guess this was news lost in the haze of COVID. That's sad news to hear.

Sometimes, the faults of organized religion, with the various hypocrises that are frequent to any organization, are too much for individuals to endure. And if ones faith is mediated through an ecclessial structure, it makes it even harder.
Yes…I do pray for her soul and i very much LOVED her work. It helped me so much as a teen, even though I am now 28.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Like I said, I never thought I’d see the day where people on CF are like “Well, JK Rowling isn’t so bad…” It’s wild to watch the goalposts move over the years. ^_^
She IS Christian. She was raised nominally in the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and was a member when her daughter was born. She now identifies with the Scottish Episcopal Church (Anglican) but has experienced doubt.

Remember many authors of gothic fiction identified as deeply religion Christians.

I don’t see it as a laughing matter.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Again, what does this article have to do with Christianity?

Rowlings does not speak for the Christian Church.
She is a Christian and she’s speaking from a Christian albeit feminist perspective on trans issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0