Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I think the best way to describe what United Methodists believe...is that we do believe one is saved by faith alone. However, we wind up doing works in faith. Like helping out at a church function. Technically that's a sort of work...but you're doing it in faith. So I guess it wouldn't be "dry" as you described. :)

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
AngelAmidala said:
I think the best way to describe what United Methodists believe...is that we do believe one is saved by faith alone. However, we wind up doing works in faith. Like helping out at a church function. Technically that's a sort of work...but you're doing it in faith. So I guess it wouldn't be "dry" as you described. :)

just to add to this...one of the affirmations of faith in the hymnal ends with these words:

"We believe that this faith should manifest itself in the service of love, as set forth by the example of our blessed Lord, to the end, that the kingdom of God may come upon the earth."

So the "works" are actually faith in action. You aren't supposed to just say you have faith--you are supposed to live it. And it doesn't have to be big things. Anything you do motivated by love and not personal gain is considered a "Work".

Celtie

Upvote 0

dsdumpling

Oct 29, 2003
Slower, lower Delaware USA
✟9,485.00
Faith
Methodist
FriendlyFlower said:
I believe I am saved by faith alone and grace, and not dry mechanical works, but I do believe we need to be obedient. Obedience is not the same as dry works to me. Would I be welcome in your church?
You would be welcome in my church no matter what you believed. I believe and this does not neccesarily reflect what the Methodist Church teaches that one is saved by grace. I believe that faith came a little further in my walk with the Lord and then my deeds came after that.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
WesleyJohn said:
Do my works save me? No, not really. Does my faith save me? No, not really. It is really all about God's grace, and my response to that grace. And even my faithful response is derived from God's grace.

Grace and Peace,

WJ

But you must have the faith (belief in things unseen) that the source of grace (God) is there to give you the gift of grace thru your faith.

Am I talking in circles?? Well, at least I won't get lost.

Celtie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.