Is the date of the crucifixion off like the date of Christmas?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟969,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...like the date of Christmas?
Regarding the birth of Jesus, I like a popular theory that has been put forth by Messianic Jews.

Using math and the New Testament, they believe that He was born around the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles.
TL;DR
  1. They know what time of the year Zacharias was performing Temple duties and the angel announced the conception of his son; John, the Baptist [Luke 1:5-25].
  2. They know that Elizabeth was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Mary conceived Jesus [Luke 1:26-45].
  3. They offer further verses after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that mean you do not consider yourself a Christian?

I am a Christian. An Evangelical Protestant Christian. I don't agree with every doctrine that every other Evangelical Protestant denomination or local assembly or individual believes. But I do not disfellowship from the Christian community because of doctrinal differences. Jesus never said we would be one in doctrine, but one in spirit.

You said you "do not see" the birth of Jesus in Christmas, or his death and resurrection in Easter. Might I suggest that, having disfellowshipped from any Christian observance, your experience of Christmas and Easter has been the highly secularized version of pop culture, or even worse, the "Christmas/Easter is pagan" misinformation plastered across social media that poses as historical research. I would ask you, in the name of Jesus whom we both worship and obey, to be careful that you do not use the secular version or yet the paganized version to justify your withdrawing from Christian love and fellowship. "A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

In Christ,
Deborah
Paul

I am a Christian. An Evangelical Protestant Christian. I don't agree with every doctrine that every other Evangelical Protestant denomination or local assembly or individual believes. But I do not disfellowship from the Christian community because of doctrinal differences. Jesus never said we would be one in doctrine, but one in spirit.

You said you "do not see" the birth of Jesus in Christmas, or his death and resurrection in Easter. Might I suggest that, having disfellowshipped from any Christian observance, your experience of Christmas and Easter has been the highly secularized version of pop culture, or even worse, the "Christmas/Easter is pagan" misinformation plastered across social media that poses as historical research. I would ask you, in the name of Jesus whom we both worship and obey, to be careful that you do not use the secular version or yet the paganized version to justify your withdrawing from Christian love and fellowship. "A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

In Christ,
Deborah
I'm sorry but one in doctrine is one in spirit. What you say makes no sense.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In Christ,
Deborah
It means I don't join any denomination

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus never said we would be one in doctrine
Yes He did
Mark 1: 14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 24: 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟25,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Where should I look to see something that requires a supernatural explanation?

In your heart.

Look, whether you believe in God or not, the Bible is a unique book, and I would encourage you to take a look at it. It was written by some 40 different men, over a period of some 1,500 years, and it contains a lot of wisdom and insight into human nature, and the world around us. Now I know that these men were inspired by God in their wisdom and understanding, but you don’t have to believe that to benefit from them.

There is an old proverb that says, “Guard with all diligence your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”

I would love to wax philosophical … but I’m not good at it, so let try to explain my understanding of the nuts and bolts of “the ghost in the machine.”

It is self-evident that there are within us intangible forces and powers that work in us, that move us, that shake us, and drive us, and shape not only our lives, but who we are, our very character. We all, each and every one of us, “feel” these forces or powers and their influence continually. When we hear someone say “I don’t rely on my feelings,” it should be one of those head-shaking moments. Everything we believe, everything we think, everything we say, everything we do, is determined, dictated, controlled, by how we “feel” about something. We love and hate and befriend, dream and work and achieve, hunt and gather and acquire, serve and defend and protect, joy and laugh and celebrate, break and ruin and destroy, rape and steal and murder, weep and mourn and agonize, everything we do in life is because we feel all these things, these needs and desires rising up and working in us. And all these intangible things, these truly powerful forces that move and drive us, they come from the heart. They all come from the heart. To carry on the analogy of the ghost in the machine, the brain is the computer, but the heart is the software. And whatever is written on our hearts, that truly is the wellspring of our lives.

And then God adds a whole new dimension to our story. Because He who made us, can write a new story on our hearts, He can overwrite our old program (sorry, can’t stop with the ghost and machine analogy~), and when God writes this "Good News" on our hearts, it changes everything, not only our lives, it even changes our very character, and as if that is not enough, it changes our relationship with God and even our very destiny. But I have most likely already lost you with the whole “feelings” thing. And I get it, that’s okay. People tend to scoff at the whole notion of feelings. You asked for “extraordinary” evidence, and what I gave you is in reality rather ordinary, certainly common to us all, and something we live with and experience every moment of our lives. And yet … wouldn’t those intangible forces and powers we can feel but cannot see, would they not be extraordinary precisely because they are “super” natural?

But I’m a historian, not a theologian, so if anything I have said seems silly or has in any way made it more difficult for you to believe, I own that it is due solely to my personal inadequacies, not in any way a reflection on the truth of God or His Word.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟25,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry but one in doctrine is one in spirit. What you say makes no sense.
To be one in doctrine would mean we all believe and understand everything about every doctrine exactly the same. I think it is obvious we do not.

I readily admit that I do not have perfect understanding of all doctrine. And I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone does. I was very much a "babe" in terms of understanding the things of God when I was first saved, and especially those profoundly deep and mystical doctrines concerning the person and work of Christ, most especially in his ministration of salvation. And I have spent a lifetime studying and praying and learning and, I hope, growing and maturing in my understanding. And I genuinely believe that is the experience of every Christian. None of us are immediately endowed by God with perfect wisdom and understanding in all the things of God at the moment we are saved. We all begin as babes who must feed on the milk of the word, and only after we have reached maturity can we feed on the meat. And we are, each and every one of us, at different points along the path of Christian, for lack of a better word, "enlightenment."

Your response to Jesus' words that the world will know his disciples by their love for each other ... was the single word, "Paul." So yes, Paul taught that as well: "Though I speak with the tongues of angels, and have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, but have not love, I am nothing." (1 Corinthians 13)

So our doctrine, what we personally believe and practice, no matter how correct it may be, that is not the evidence that we are a disciple of Christ. It's that spirit of sacrificial love for His body, that's the fruit of his presence in our hearts and that's the evidence that we are his disciples, and a member of his body, the church. I see people all day long on these boards who have perfectly sound doctrine, but they are so full of acrimony toward fellow believers who may not see things quite the same way as they do that it is obvious they do not spend time in the presence of Jesus, who is after all the head of this body, his church, and laid down his life for these very same people who are being judged and condemned because they see some point of doctrine a bit differently.

So "in that spirit," whether you choose to honor the works of God at Christmas and Easter, does not matter. But trust me, you are not the only one who honors Jesus' birth, death and resurrection every day, we Christians keep these things before our eyes continually as the means and source of this Christian life we now live. And we know full well that we are not commanded to observe Christmas and Easter, and I do not know of a single Christian who claims that it is a commandment. We observe those days in remembrance of the wondrous works God did on those days. Having feast days in remembrance of some wondrous work God has done actually has Legal precedence.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be one in doctrine would mean we all believe and understand everything about every doctrine exactly the same. I think it is obvious we do not.

I readily admit that I do not have perfect understanding of all doctrine. And I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone does. I was very much a "babe" in terms of understanding the things of God when I was first saved, and especially those profoundly deep and mystical doctrines concerning the person and work of Christ, most especially in his ministration of salvation. And I have spent a lifetime studying and praying and learning and, I hope, growing and maturing in my understanding. And I genuinely believe that is the experience of every Christian. None of us are immediately endowed by God with perfect wisdom and understanding in all the things of God at the moment we are saved. We all begin as babes who must feed on the milk of the word, and only after we have reached maturity can we feed on the meat. And we are, each and every one of us, at different points along the path of Christian, for lack of a better word, "enlightenment."

Your response to Jesus' words that the world will know his disciples by their love for each other ... was the single word, "Paul." So yes, Paul taught that as well: "Though I speak with the tongues of angels, and have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, but have not love, I am nothing." (1 Corinthians 13)

So our doctrine, what we personally believe and practice, no matter how correct it may be, that is not the evidence that we are a disciple of Christ. It's that spirit of sacrificial love for His body, that's the fruit of his presence in our hearts and that's the evidence that we are his disciples, and a member of his body, the church. I see people all day long on these boards who have perfectly sound doctrine, but they are so full of acrimony toward fellow believers who may not see things quite the same way as they do that it is obvious they do not spend time in the presence of Jesus, who is after all the head of this body, his church, and laid down his life for these very same people who are being judged and condemned because they see some point of doctrine a bit differently.

So "in that spirit," whether you choose to honor the works of God at Christmas and Easter, does not matter. But trust me, you are not the only one who honors Jesus' birth, death and resurrection every day, we Christians keep these things before our eyes continually as the means and source of this Christian life we now live. And we know full well that we are not commanded to observe Christmas and Easter, and I do not know of a single Christian who claims that it is a commandment. We observe those days in remembrance of the wondrous works God did on those days. Having feast days in remembrance of some wondrous work God has done actually has Legal precedence.

In Christ,
Deborah
It's quite simple. Obey Jesus commands. There is no need for division.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟25,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Regarding the birth of Jesus, I like a popular theory that has been put forth by Messianic Jews.

1. They know what time of the year Zacharias was performing Temple duties and the angel announced the conception of his son; John, the Baptist [Luke 1:5-25].
There are a number of historical problems with that article. The first and most obvious is that during 2nd Temple times, the Jews did not have a fixed calendar. The first day of each month was determined when official spotters in Jerusalem saw the first sliver of a crescent of the new moon. The evening which followed was officially the first day of the month. The problem is that it could be either the first or the second day after the astronomical new moon before the crescent of the waxing moon was observable, depending on a number of variables including local weather conditions. And since no record has been discovered that actually recorded on what dates based on some existing calendar the crescent new moons were observed throughout these months and years, there is no way to actually determine the precise date of Biblical events, although some events we can get within a day or two. The fixed calendar based on the Metonic cycle, which this article references for their calculations, was not adopted by the Jews until the mid-4th century A.D. by Hillel II. And it was not fully codified until the 12th century A.D. by Maimonides. So you simply cannot use the modern Jewish calendar to try to date Biblical events. New Testament Jews did not have a “calendar” because they did not know when each month would begin, they had to wait until they saw the crescent new moon.

A second problem is the calculation of the priestly courses. First, the courses did not begin the rotation anew each year as the article assumes. From the time the priestly service was reinstituted during 2nd Temple period, the courses served in order from Sabbath to Sabbath to Sabbath to Sabbath without regard to the dates on the calendar. (Jerusalem Talmud, Sukka 5:7-8) And secondly, while it is true that all 24 courses ministered during the annual pilgrimage festivals, the course whose rotation fell on that week continued to offer the regular daily sacrifices as well as all non-festival sacrifices, while all 24 courses participated in the festival sacrifices. "At three times during the year, all twenty-four priestly watches have equal status, in that all receive a share in the Temple service independent of the standard order of the watches ... The principal is that the priestly watch whose time is fixed during the Festival, sacrifices the daily offerings during the Festivals, as well as vow-offerings, free-will offerings, and all other communal offerings. And that watch sacrifices all of them even during the Festival, when other aspects of the service are shared by all the watches." (Mishnah Sukkah 5:7) So the festivals did not cause a disruption in the regular rotation, as the chart calculates. Very often students see the bit of information that all 24 courses served during the three pilgrimage festivals and they assume the regular courses paused during these weeks. But that’s not the case.

A third and rather glaring problem is that during the annual pilgrimage festivals of Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles, all male Jews were commanded by law to observe the festival in Jerusalem with the required sacrifices and offerings each day which made up the “feasts” which they ate each of the days. If Jesus had been born during the feast of Tabernacles, there would have been plenty of "room in the inn” as all the Jews would have been in Jerusalem celebrating the feast. Josephus reports that every city and town and village throughout the land was “deserted” every year at Tabernacles, every family having gone up to the city to celebrate the feast. The article makes mention that all male Jews were required to be in Jerusalem for Tabernacles but then fails to apply that to the question of the situation at the time of Jesus’ birth and the fact that Bethlehem was so crowded that there wasn’t room for a pregnant woman to find shelter but had to resort to a stable. Not to mention the question of whether Herod would have been foolish enough to conduct a nation-wide census, which by Jewish law required every citizen to return to their ancestral tribal seat to be counted, which would disrupt the entire nation, shop keepers leaving their shops, farmers leaving their fields, shepherds leaving their flocks and herds, which would shift the entire population causing considerable hardship on the people. And to conduct a nation-wide census requiring the people to travel to their ancestral seats during a festival when the law required them to go to Jerusalem, Herod would have had a riot on his hands. In fact, the Jews did riot when Rome conducted a census in A.D. 6 but did not bow to the dictates of Jewish laws and sensibilities but conducted the census according to the Roman method and there was in fact a riot and the city of Sepphoris, near Jesus’ hometown of Nazareth, was burned to the ground, giving rise to the Zealots who later led the nation into war that destroyed the Jewish nation, millions of Jews were killed, and Old Covenant practice came to an end. So there is a lot of history behind all these events and sets the stage across which the Gospel and the life of Jesus is played out.

And some of these things you can actually test. The service of the priests, for example. One of the historical “markers” we can use to date events is the fact that the Mishnah Tractate Taniit at 29a:10 records that the course of priests that was on duty when the Temple was burned by the Romans on Av 9 of the year A.D. 70 was the course of Jehoiarib, which was the 1st course. Now look at that chart on the website you linked, the “Rotation of Priestly and Levitical Courses.” According to that chart, the second week of Av when the Temple was burned, the 17th course of Hezir would have been serving if that chart is correct. But it wasn’t. It was the 1st course of Jehoiarib. So obviously the courses did not serve according to those “calculations.” And the same is true if the cycles started anew on the first of Tishri. Counting forward, the 2nd week of Av is the 43rd week so course 19 would have been on duty, not the 1st. So that chart simply cannot be correct. That's not how the courses historically served.

So to try to conclude this quickly, computer models calculating the courses backwards from 1st course 2nd week Av A.D. 70, back to the year before the birth of Jesus, 6 B.C., the course of Abijah to which Zacharias belonged would have been on duty from October 2 to October 9. If Elizabeth became pregnant shortly after Zacharias’ service was completed, say mid-October, then her 6th month would have fallen mid-March to mid-April. The traditional date for Jesus’ conception is March 25. Then counting forward again, John the Baptist would have been born mid-June to mid-July. The traditional date of his birth is June 24. Then counting forward from Jesus’ conception, Jesus would have been born in December, the traditional date is December 25 of the year 5 B.C. just a few months before the death of Herod in late March/early April of 4 B.C., after the lunar eclipse that occurred on March 12 the night after the golden eagle incident, but before the Passover that began on April 5 that year, when Archelaus stopped a riot in the Temple by slaughtering the rioters and cancelled the rest of Passover and sent everyone home. This was the situation that caused Joseph to choose to bypass Judea when they returned from Egypt and he took Mary and Jesus back to Nazareth.

Of course, there is a lot more history woven into all this, but those are the basic historical events that are briefly outlined in the Gospels, but still firmly anchor these events in their historical context.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟25,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's quite simple. Obey Jesus commands. There is no need for division.
How can you say there is no need for division when you have set yourself apart from every other believer?

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can you say there is no need for division when you have set yourself apart from every other believer?

In Christ,
Deborah
I agree with people who agree with Jesus. You separate yourself from some churches i bet. You don't even know me. I suffer social anxiety and I don't agree with modern church theology and their political and religious division anyway.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In Christ,
Deborah
I dont divide myself from God with political division. The only good division is from the world itself

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟205,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As I said there were two sabbaths.. Passover which was one of many yearly sabbaths and also the Saturday Sabbath the next day. Jesus could not have been executed on a Sabbath, the Passover day. He had to have died on a Thursday, then hastily removed from the tree and placed in a tomb before sunset on the Thursday, the start of the Passover Sabbath that year.
The thing is about this brings to mind a reconciling of the Sadducean calendar with the Pharisees calender. No difference/ disputes between the sects that year. The dispute came later in the Church with the differing "traditions" kept by the Asian Church vs the western Church. Western, Sadducean (pristly sect) tradition vs The Pharisaic tradition of the ( judges sect)

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟25,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with people who agree with Jesus. You separate yourself from some churches i bet. You don't even know me. I suffer social anxiety and I don't agree with modern church theology and their political and religious division anyway.
But you seem to think you are the only one who agrees with Jesus.

As for social anxiety, I have a beloved family member who has suffered from anxiety for many years, so I know what a very difficult and debilitating burden that struggle is. But she has only recently given herself to Christ, and we all see the familiar working of God in her heart. I myself many years ago was healed of depression, so I know the signs of God's handiwork, and I am praying continually for her to be filled with that "peace that is beyond understanding," that peace of God that I know from experience is the only thing in this world can drive away the nagging fear and worry and unremitting stress that plagues her every waking hour and even disturbs her sleep.

And if I lived near you, I would ask that you allow me to come and visit with you for a little while. I would be more than happy to bring along coffee and dessert! Or, since I grew among my father's family and their Baptist congregation, I'd bring along one of my signature casseroles! You know, they say to be a Baptist you have to be baptized in Christ and own a 9x13 casserole dish!:sorry: But truly, I would love to see you face to face, to hold your hand and pray with you, that the Spirit of our great God and Savior Jesus would so fill your heart and mind with such peace that every fear and every worry that haunts your heart and mind would melt away like shadows before the noonday sun. And I would pray this with you, and this I pray to God for you even now, in this moment, in the blessed name of Jesus Christ.

Please, don't struggle alone. That is the very purpose of Christian fellowship, that we might help one another, comfort one another, pray for one another, cheer and support one another. Life, and its joys, and especially its burdens, are meant to be shared. So please reach out to a local congregation. All it takes is a phone call, and trusting God that he can and will bring across your path and into your life a friend, a kindred spirit, who will come to where you are, will talk and listen and laugh with you, and kneel and pray and weep with you, and rejoice and worship and give thanks with you.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you seem to think you are the only one who agrees with Jesus.

As for social anxiety, I have a beloved family member who has suffered from anxiety for many years, so I know what a very difficult and debilitating burden that struggle is. But she has only recently given herself to Christ, and we all see the familiar working of God in her heart. I myself many years ago was healed of depression, so I know the signs of God's handiwork, and I am praying continually for her to be filled with that "peace that is beyond understanding," that peace of God that I know from experience is the only thing in this world can drive away the nagging fear and worry and unremitting stress that plagues her every waking hour and even disturbs her sleep.

And if I lived near you, I would ask that you allow me to come and visit with you for a little while. I would be more than happy to bring along coffee and dessert! Or, since I grew among my father's family and their Baptist congregation, I'd bring along one of my signature casseroles! You know, they say to be a Baptist you have to be baptized in Christ and own a 9x13 casserole dish!:sorry: But truly, I would love to see you face to face, to hold your hand and pray with you, that the Spirit of our great God and Savior Jesus would so fill your heart and mind with such peace that every fear and every worry that haunts your heart and mind would melt away like shadows before the noonday sun. And I would pray this with you, and this I pray to God for you even now, in this moment, in the blessed name of Jesus Christ.

Please, don't struggle alone. That is the very purpose of Christian fellowship, that we might help one another, comfort one another, pray for one another, cheer and support one another. Life, and its joys, and especially its burdens, are meant to be shared. So please reach out to a local congregation. All it takes is a phone call, and trusting God that he can and will bring across your path and into your life a friend, a kindred spirit, who will come to where you are, will talk and listen and laugh with you, and kneel and pray and weep with you, and rejoice and worship and give thanks with you.

In Christ,
Deborah
Every church thinks they alone are right but you single me out. Why would I join such a church?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is the very purpose of Christian fellowship, that we might help one another, comfort one another, pray for one another, cheer and support one another. Life, and its joys, and especially its burdens, are meant to be shared.
Many find that here.

Reactions: HopeSings
Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2023
Rainelle
Visit site
✟9,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The date of Christmas isn't off. It's celebrated on the date it is supposed to be celebrated.

In the 3rd century some Christian thinkers talked about when Jesus was born, it was a topic of curiosity. At the time there was no explicit feast day that celebrated His birth, instead the Feast of the Epiphany (also called the Theophany) was a more all-purpose feast where Christians focused on the Incarnation. The central focus of the Epiphany was Jesus' baptism, but it came to include more aspects of His earthly life (whereas the Paschal Season was focused on His passion, death, and resurrection).

When Jesus was crucified wasn't debated, because the when was pretty clear: it was on Passover. Of course the Jewish calendar and the Roman calendar are different calendars, so the Jewish calendar which was lunar, and the Roman calendar which was solar, meant Nisan 14th changed year to year in relation to the Roman calendar. At some point Christians came to regard that, in the particular year Jesus was crucified, Passover coincided with with the Vernal Equinox, or March 25th.

So when Christians were trying to figure out certain questions, like when Jesus was born, they assumed He had been crucified on March 25th, which was also Nisan 14th on the Jewish calendar that year.

There was, at the same time, a sense that since Jesus was perfect, His mortal life-span was also perfect. Meaning that He died on the same day He was born. This led some to believe that Jesus was born on a March 25th. Some others, however, argued that Jesus was conceived on March 25th, and thus would have been born 9 months later, well add 9 months to March 25th and you get December 25th.

We don't see the Feast of Christmas itself celebrated until the 4th century. The earliest attestation is a Chronograph dated to the mid 4th century, basically a fancy calendar. And it lists December 25th as the Feast of Christ's Nativity. So at this time, the Christians around Rome were celebrating Christ's nativity on their liturgical calendar on December 25th.

Other Christians, as noted, tended to include the Nativity as part of the meaning of Epiphany, this continued to be the case in other areas of the Christian world. Which is why even to this day the Armenian Church continues to celebrate Christ's Nativity on January 6th, on Epiphany; never having adopted the December 25th date as the rest of the Church did.

For most of Christian history the Feast of the Nativity was considered a somewhat minor feast on the Liturgical Calendar. The two major Feasts, as it had been before Christmas was added to the calendar, were Pascha (aka "Easter") and Epiphany. This isn't to say that Christmas wasn't important, it's just that it wasn't as important as these two other feast times.

Christmas has slowly become a bigger deal on the Western calendar largely only in the last couple centuries, and this is in large part due to the influence of Britain and America; where Christmas has expanded into a full-blown cultural explosion. And that's been exported around the world. Anglo-American Christmas traditions, which are themselves a hodgepodge of various traditions (especially Dutch and German) has become what it looks like today.

But the celebration of the Feast of Christ's Nativity has been a standard of the Christian liturgical calendar since ancient times.

We have no idea when Jesus was born; but Christmas really isn't about that. It may have began with questions about when He was born, but we don't celebrate Christmas because that's "Jesus' birthday" in the same way that we celebrate your or my birthdays on the anniversary of the actual date we were born. Instead Christmas is a liturgical celebration, it's not about WHEN but THAT He was born.

As far as the Paschal Season, including Good Friday, that is all determined by the Paschal Computus, the official method of determining when to celebrate Pascha/Easter. This was established and standardized at the Council of Nicea in 325. As different parts of the Christian world used different computational methods, it meant that different communities of Christians were often celebrating the Feast on slightly different times. The Council of Nicea addressed that as a side issue, and the method of computation was established, and it's what we still use today.

We actually have a pretty good record of time-keeping over the last couple thousand years. We are still using, essentially, the same calendar that was being used two millennia go. The Julian Calendar was the reform of the Roman Calendar under Julius Caesar, the Eastern Churches still use the Julian Calendar, (either un-changed, or using a slightly reformed version of it). The Western Churches have all adopted the calendar reforms of Pope Gregory XIII, which we call the Gregorian Calendar. Because of this we know what sorts of calendarial drift occurred, and have accounted for it. The Gregorian Calendar is actually incredibly clever, where as the Julian Calendar did help fix the problems of the Roman calendar, it still resulted in a calendar drift that means that there is a 13 day difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars today. Today is April 5th on the Gregorian Calendar, but it is March 23rd on the Julian Calendar.

So no, it's not going to be months off.

This means that both the Paschal and Christmas seasons are celebrated correctly, according to the way they are meant to be, as established historically through Christian practice. The only real differences are that some churches use the Gregorian calendar, and some use the Julian.

-CryptoLutheran
Great detail! I would add that the Feast of the Nativity coming during the darkest time of the year, near the Winter solstice, is part of the liturgical reason for the timing of Christmas. Jesus, the light of the world, comes to the world at it's darkest time.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Man deciding these things according to human reason. Isn't that making things fit in our image? Isn't the idea to change ourselves to fit into His?

Nope.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0