Fort Lauderdale
✟25,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I recently met a new Christian friend who became a Christian 2 years ago and without asking he told me about the donations he makes to poor people and when he evangelizes to people. Even though I like what he is doing and congratulated him on doing those things I’m concerned he might be trying to impress me and be overtly concerned with their external view and good reputation or am I overthinking this ?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, your friend needs to do it not merely to impress you.

This goes for me, too, how I need to minister not in order to get status.

So, it is good for you to bring this up so we can be reminded and warned of this. So, thank you and God bless you, too.

I suppose you can simply warn him to have the right motives, and how he reacts could tell you something about him.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟703,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recently met a new Christian friend who became a Christian 2 years ago and without asking he told me about the donations he makes to poor people and when he evangelizes to people. Even though I like what he is doing and congratulated him on doing those things I’m concerned he might be trying to impress me and be overtly concerned with their external view and good reputation or am I overthinking this ?

You might be overthinking it, he absolutely could be genuine or he could want a pat on the back.

Nothing wrong with giving someone a pat on the back for doing good. That's just real... All things are for His Glory but that "well done" is always nice to hear and it's encouraging as well.

Personal motivations? We often don't always know the reasons we do the things we do, not consciously anyway so I don't know that we can suss out the motivations of others accurately.

If you think your friend might be falling into sin you can always mention it kindly in order to pull him from a ledge, but from what you wrote I don't see a ledge yet.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟30,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question folks... I understand about the admonition in regards to giving...

Matthew 6:2 NIV

"When you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

... but what about our good works, ie: evangelism, edifying the Body, ect.? If we tell someone about it are we boasting improperly, or encouraging each other on to do likewise?...

Matthew 5:14-16 NIV

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟703,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question folks... I understand about the admonition in regards to giving...

Matthew 6:2 NIV

"When you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

... but what about our good works, ie: evangelism, edifying the Body, ect.? If we tell someone about it are we boasting improperly, or encouraging each other on to do likewise?...

Matthew 5:14-16 NIV

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

It seems to me the difference between the two is intentions, and who or what is being glorified.

Are you glorifying self for praise from men, or are you doing works pleasing to God in order to bring glory to God through them?

That answer is found in a very deep part of us...

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟30,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems to me the difference between the two is intentions, and who or what is being glorified.

Are you glorifying self for praise from men, or are you doing works pleasing to God in order to bring glory to God through them?

That answer is found in a very deep part of us...
When I'm at my best, I do it for His glory. Where I sometimes stumble is the after effect of "Gee, didn't anybody notice?" That's when I doubt my motive. It seems pride tries to squirrel in on anything we do for the Kingdom. If the enemy can't get you one way, he tries another!

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟703,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I'm at my best, I do it for His glory. Where I sometimes stumble is the after effect of "Gee, didn't anybody notice?" That's when I doubt my motive. It seems pride tries to squirrel in on anything we do for the Kingdom. If the enemy can't get you one way, he tries another!

We read the Bible but we don't always understand it in a very heartfelt way.

When I gain some new intimate understanding of something the Bible discusses I always see flaws in myself, pretty severely at times.

Lately I've been sitting in judgement and trying not to but it's super super difficult... There's a lot about myself I'm learning in all this - not all good - and a lot more depth of understanding of some of those words I managed not to fully understand until now.

All we can do when we see our own faults and sins is to repent of those sins, and keep walking in The Way He has taught, and try to forgive ourselves after.

We don't want to forget our weaknesses or else we wouldn't know how to overcome them when we face them again, but we do have to learn to forgive ourselves too after we receive His forgiveness.

Hemmed in on every side comes to mind... We really are. It's why we have Jesus, He's up!..

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0