Not open for further replies.

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
Yesterday at 02:09 PM LewisWildermuth said this in Post #3 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=684695#post684695)

Well if I were God and wanted people to believe that there was a world wide flood I'd at least make it look like there was one, but since God didn't bother doing this...

So if mans interpretation of the world around him contradicts the plain teaching of Scripture you opt for man's interpretation.

The majority of humanity, and the world's thinkers oppose the message of Christianity. There are many philosophers who contend God doesn't exist. Using your line of logic, why would you believe the truth of Scripture over the opinions of these experts?

BTW, care to share how you became a Christian, or what happened that made you a Christian.

Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 12:37 PM fragmentsofdreams said this in Post #6 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=686402#post686402)

The plain reading of certain passages is that the sun moves around the earth. Should I likewise ignore the scientific evidence that contradicts this, or should I conclude that the plain reading is a misinterpretation of these passages?

Care to quote the passage and context. Then provide your interpretation of the plain meaning of the Scripture and the scientific implications. Once you have done that you will need to prove that your interpretation of the plain meaning of Scripture contradicts science.

Upvote 0

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
[mod hat on]

This is a Christian only area, I will be checking back here often, if you are not a Christian pease refrain from posting here. There is another open forum for discussing these matters which can be found here.

Thank you

Jay

[mod hat off]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2nd March 2003 at 03:12 PM Micaiah said this in Post #5 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=685758#post685758)

So if mans interpretation of the world around him contradicts the plain teaching of Scripture you opt for man's interpretation.

Since man's interpretation of the Bible and the world is all we have...

The majority of humanity, and the world's thinkers oppose the message of Christianity. There are many philosophers who contend God doesn't exist. Using your line of logic, why would you believe the truth of Scripture over the opinions of these experts?

Personal belief, what else do we have?

BTW, care to share how you became a Christian, or what happened that made you a Christian.

My witness and story would be off topic, but if you need to hear it, fine, but why not start by sharing your story?

Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
I became a Christian at a young age having been strongly influenced by a Christian mother. A Christian is a person who places their faith in Scripture and the truth Scripture asserts about Christ. A summary is given on the rules if this forum that outline those beliefs.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was not raised in your typical Christian home, the second youngest of seven children in a Midwestern family. I was born late in my parents lives, my father retired shortly after I graduated from high school.

My mother was Catholic but did not go to church regularly by the time I was born due to my fathers lack of interest.

My father was raised Lutheran, but had not stepped foot in a church except for weddings since I can remember, proclaiming himself a heathen. But do not think that he was not read in the bible, he would often correct me as a child if I misquoted the bible. He encouraged me to read it, even if I did not believe in it at the time, so I at least would not be ignorant about it.

Being raised without religion being a major influence over my life, but do not confuse that with having a lack of morals, my father and mother had a very strict moral code and instilled it in all of their children with varying success. Science had been my passion and I was convinced that science would cure all humanities ills, I devoured scientific magazines and textbooks and was unconcerned about spirituality.

I spent most of my youth as an atheist/agnostic, much to my mother’s dismay, It would be my sister and her husband that witnessed to a stubborn 14 year old and slowly won him over.

I still could not attend church because my father would not drive me and I has no close neighbors that could take me living out in the country as I did. My only vent for my newfound belief was Christian radio which at the time and still today was filled with YEC teachings and the YEC materials my sister would bring me. I was intrigued and fooled by the pseudo science that they put out. And for five years I never questioned my YEC beliefs.

I moved in with my sister who lived in the town I was going to go to college in, that is where I helped with college ministries and youth ministries. While in college I enrolled in several science classes, and where I was confronted with the reality of what science said compared to what YEC had led me to believe about it. I expected to find a theory on chaos and retreat that had no real evidence behind it, what I did find was quite the opposite. I had made many friends that were professors and grad students there through the church that I attended and the ministries I helped, they were not the atheists I had expected to find in the science department but Christians like myself, except they were not YEC.

Everything was exactly the opposite of what the YEC movement had told me and I was confused and troubled, after all you would loose your faith if you didn’t take the Bible literally right?

When I talked to my YEC friends about what I was seeing they began calling my faith into question rather than answeringany questions I was starting to have.

I started to look at the arguments that I learned as a YEC, moon dust, shrinking sun, vapor canopy, etc. etc… Hoping to find something to prove I was right, but found time and time again that they were false. It shook me to the core. It wasn’t that I could not believe in God because YEC was wrong, it was the fact that people I trusted, the radio preachers and the book writers had lied to me and I had been so easily duped by them. I have to call it lying by them because the falsifications I found were not hard to find, ant college library would do, and they never bothered to check it out, and until then I had not either. I was mad at them, I was mad at myself for being fooled so easily.

If it had not been for my non-YEC friends, both Christian and Atheists, I may have lost my faith. After a few years of prayer and thinking on the subject I have decided that I must try to reach those that would lie in Gods name whether because they have been mislead by others and don’t know any better or because they think that the lie is more beneficial to faith than the truth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.