Is 30-30 Adequate for Black Bear and Wild Hog?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟123,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Title says it all. I know that it greatly depends on shot placement, but is it adequate for black bear and wild hog. It would be for encounter situations, not hunting black bear and hog from something like a stand.
I do not hunt nor does my family, but used to live in a small town where some of my friend's parents hunted. So, to do a good service to you, I asked some AI to help. Hopefully the robot that lives on my laptop can help you make the right decision on the type of hunting firearm you need. :)

Mistral 7B Response:
A 30-30 rifle can be adequate for hunting both black bears and wild hogs, but it depends on various factors such as the specific caliber of the 30-30 (Winchester or Marlin), the distance of the shot, and the size of the animal being hunted.

For black bears, a minimum caliber recommendation from many hunting organizations is a .308 Winchester or larger for safety reasons and to ensure quick and humane kills. However, a well-placed shot with a 30-30 can still be effective, especially at closer ranges.

For wild hogs, a 30-30 is generally considered a suitable caliber for hunting these animals due to their relatively small size and the fact that they are not known to be particularly hard to kill. However, larger wild hogs or boars may require a more powerful cartridge for a quick and humane kill at longer ranges.

It's important to remember that hunting regulations vary by location, so it's always a good idea to check local laws and consult with experienced hunters or wildlife experts before heading out into the field. Proper shot placement is also crucial, regardless of caliber or animal size.

Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here in Canada, the .30-30 has been used successfully for deer and black bear. It would be fine for tough animals like bear and hog at ranges up to 100 yards. If being used for animal defense, use open sights. It is a good choice IMO; moderate recoil as well.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟427,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like something a little larger. Revolvers for close in like a 41 magnum or larger with heavy bullet. The 30-30 is adequate but bear are tough so are pigs. I like larger caliber carbines too like a 45-70. Seems close up you want to stop them fast and have knock down power. 100 yds is too far to feel like you’ll be attacked, just exit quietly. But if you want a predator or pest and don’t want a confrontation then what about a 35 Remington lever action marlin. Sounds like you want something fast and light. I suggest something heavier.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I like something a little larger. Revolvers for close in like a 41 magnum or larger with heavy bullet. The 30-30 is adequate but bear are tough so are pigs. I like larger caliber carbines too like a 45-70. Seems close up you want to stop them fast and have knock down power. 100 yds is too far to feel like you’ll be attacked, just exit quietly. But if you want a predator or pest and don’t want a confrontation then what about a 35 Remington lever action marlin. Sounds like you want something fast and light. I suggest something heavier.
Here in Canada, more black bear taken with the .30-30, 12 ga. slugs and .44-40 (not even kidding. Bigger stuff stared fairly recently and mostly due to marketing hype. .45-70 up until about 20 years ago was all but dead. Grandfather had a .38-55 winchester which was a "big rifle" back in the day. He's talking black bear and hogs, not Browns/Grizzlies/Kodiaks/Polar Bear and Rhino and cape buffalo. Black bear are just big racoons; pigs are pigs. They don't use .45-70 in the slaughter houses. On the farm, we used .22 rimfire. For defense, something light, easy to handle and easy to shoot well is fine. If you can handle a hand gun, my choice would be .357 magnum revolver; but since we can only use hand guns as range toys here in Canada, the 30-30 is a good choice, so is a short pump shot-gun.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟427,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here in Canada, more black bear taken with the .30-30, 12 ga. slugs and .44-40 (not even kidding. Bigger stuff stared fairly recently and mostly due to marketing hype. .45-70 up until about 20 years ago was all but dead. Grandfather had a .38-55 winchester which was a "big rifle" back in the day. He's talking black bear and hogs, not Browns/Grizzlies/Kodiaks/Polar Bear and Rhino and cape buffalo. Black bear are just big racoons; pigs are pigs. They don't use .45-70 in the slaughter houses. On the farm, we used .22 rimfire. For defense, something light, easy to handle and easy to shoot well is fine. If you can handle a hand gun, my choice would be .357 magnum revolver; but since we can only use hand guns as range toys here in Canada, the 30-30 is a good choice, so is a short pump shot-gun.

in that case ammo is easier to find. We have trash eating bears in ca in backyards that can be mean, probably no bigger than yours. They let them live but there is not enough food in the wild. I’d hate to meet up with one in my yard. And mt lion too. I just have more confidence with a big more that has a reputation for one shot kills. But I’m not a hunter anymore. Kind of more a pacifist toward animals.

have you taken anything with your 9.3?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
in that case ammo is easier to find. We have trash eating bears in ca in backyards that can be mean, probably no bigger than yours. They let them live but there is not enough food in the wild. I’d hate to meet up with one in my yard. And mt lion too. I just have more confidence with a big more that has a reputation for one shot kills. But I’m not a hunter anymore. Kind of more a pacifist toward animals.

have you taken anything with your 9.3?
Not much of a hunter anymore either (except ground-hogs and the odd coyote). It is doubtful that I will ever take game with it, but it is a fun range toy. Next owner might. :)

The slower moving 30-30 is actually pretty good for bear/hog sized tough animals. In bear, and I expect hogs too, the round nose ammo would generally (in bear) go almost all the way through; expending all of it's energy in the the animal; no exit. It is shock that stops an animal; either to various organs (systematic), the central nervous system, blood loss, or a combination. 12 ga slug.
If I could cary a handgun for wildlife defence with Black bear and pig sized game, the Tauris Judge with alternating .410 slugs and SSGs.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟427,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that’s a good idea 410 slugs and ssgs (?). At super close range, put a hurt on em if that’s good. Make them mad as heck. What you’re suggesting for the 30-30 is good, maybe with the right bullet and rate. I just don’t know how well it kills, but I’ve heard stories. I used to think I could take a deer with a thirty carbine. It didn’t. But I heard stories. This is an age old discussion of what kills both sides claiming to get the job done and they do. Wound channel, finesse, a club or a spanker. Just a personal preference, but a well placed shot is what you need. Boar is good and bear is edible. I hope you do get em with whatever you want. I don’t want to be ridged and say my way or the highway. Just too many on both sides.

i think a 35 rem will go right through and have shock and awe. I don’t know what will crack a bears skull though. Don’t hear of too many head shots. You must be shooting j words. Lead might be a problem. Rugs are nice but that’s big game North America.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that’s a good idea 410 slugs and ssgs (?). At super close range, put a hurt on em if that’s good. Make them mad as heck. What you’re suggesting for the 30-30 is good, maybe with the right bullet and rate. I just don’t know how well it kills, but I’ve heard stories. I used to think I could take a deer with a thirty carbine. It didn’t. But I heard stories. This is an age old discussion of what kills both sides claiming to get the job done and they do. Wound channel, finesse, a club or a spanker. Just a personal preference, but a well placed shot is what you need. Boar is good and bear is edible. I hope you do get em with whatever you want. I don’t want to be ridged and say my way or the highway. Just too many on both sides.

i think a 35 rem will go right through and have shock and awe. I don’t know what will crack a bears skull though. Don’t hear of too many head shots. You must be shooting j words. Lead might be a problem. Rugs are nice but that’s big game North America.
.223 has became very popular for deer too; not my choice for sure.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You have some pretty big deer.
Yes, lots for them to eat with all the farm land. Those who advocate for .223 for deer hunting are promoting long, heavy bullets with a high sectional density, and a much faster twist to stabilize them.

I bought a 17 HMR for ground hogs. I was not getting the clean kills I had come to expect with the .22-250 or the 6.5 x 55. In my experience the heavier, slower .22 LR gave me cleaner kills than the .17 (Just would not shoot as far. I'm back to the 6.5 x 55. Were I to hunt dear/bear in Ontario today, that would be what I use; different bullets that for Ground Hogs; I would also not hesitate to hunt moose with it; but would use the 9.3 since I have one. Moose are generally easier to drop than deer; they just don't run when you shoot them.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟51,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still following the thread. Haven't hunted in years, but haven't seen the point in killing an animal unless there was a reason. For hunting, it was food. My idea was something for a dangerous situation. Decades ago, a black bear on our side of a property line crossed a fence and went after a couple of boys, who got away when their dog ran interference. Saw another, possibly the same one, a few years later put his front paws on the top of the fence and jumped over. After the first incident, when we fixed fence, we carried 12 gauges with rifled slugs, just in case.

A .30-30 is lighter, though. Even with a shotgun, I'd prefer one with a sling to keep hands free as much as possible. That was the problem carrying a shotgun while fixing fence. Not really keen on revolvers or 10mm. Don't have a rational reason as to why.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟837,831.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Still following the thread. Haven't hunted in years, but haven't seen the point in killing an animal unless there was a reason. For hunting, it was food. My idea was something for a dangerous situation. Decades ago, a black bear on our side of a property line crossed a fence and went after a couple of boys, who got away when their dog ran interference. Saw another, possibly the same one, a few years later put his front paws on the top of the fence and jumped over. After the first incident, when we fixed fence, we carried 12 gauges with rifled slugs, just in case.

A .30-30 is lighter, though. Even with a shotgun, I'd prefer one with a sling to keep hands free as much as possible. That was the problem carrying a shotgun while fixing fence. Not really keen on revolvers or 10mm. Don't have a rational reason as to why.
If you are not used to hand-guns, you will be better off with the .30-30 or a 12 ga. Actually, a 7.62 Tokarev pistol would be a great choice; not easy to shoot well; very snappy recoil; but lots of penetration.

Upvote 0