In Middle Earth would Jesus be a hobbit?

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟119,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Despite any overt Christianity (religion?) in the LoTR etc one can perceive a Christian/religious subtext. Jesus was a servant from a humble background who practiced what he preached - namely self sacrifice for the common good. Hobbits were also humble people who served and loved each other: they did not normally have delusions of grandeur.

Last edited:

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟817,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it is a great analogy, characters of Men such as Aragon would also qualify on the same grounds IMO. I don't think the physical and spiritual construct of Middle Earth lends itself to a Jewish to Christian sacrificial redemptive type figure. They didn't have a "chosen people" that we know of, so the story line is not really the same. We can draw similarities, but to try and make direct connections does not really work well.

That said, there are certainly religious overtones to the whole epic and Middle Earth world, just not a direct analogy for our world, I think.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Despite any overt Christianity (religion?) in the LoTR etc one can perceive a Christian/religious subtext. Jesus was a servant from a humble background who practiced what he preached - namely self sacrifice for the common good. Hobbits were also humble people who served and loved each other: they did not normally have delusions of grandeur and Frodo was only so tempted when the Ring was at its most powerful in Mt Doom.

No, Gandalf.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Despite any overt Christianity (religion?) in the LoTR etc one can perceive a Christian/religious subtext. Jesus was a servant from a humble background who practiced what he preached - namely self sacrifice for the common good. Hobbits were also humble people who served and loved each other: they did not normally have delusions of grandeur and Frodo was only so tempted when the Ring was at its most powerful in Mt Doom.

This thread title made me chuckle!

Frodo is certainly a Christ-like figure in LOTR lore. A humble soul of no importance who selflessly takes on the burden of the greatest evil of his time and is willing to give his life to destroy it and bring redemption and hope to the world.

It's not a perfect analogy, of course. LOTR has Christian undertones, but it's not pure allegory, nor was it meant to be.

One might also argue that Aragorn is a Christ-like figure. He remains in humble obscurity for many years, then risks his own life (many times over, in fact) to aid in the destruction of evil, and becomes the returning King.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gandalf does get to portray a sort of "resurrection", but he is never mortal.

He is mortal in the sense he can killed. Same as Jesus. Immortal and mortal at the same time. Incarnated, sacrificed and resurrected. Defeats death in the form of the Balrog. LOTR is not a total analogy but many of the characters are analogues. Unlike the other characters you mentioned he does actually give his life not just risk it.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟528,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I always thought the Hobbis were more like the Apostles, bumbling little guys that get in the way a lot, but still somehow managed to make something amazing happened. That's basically how Mark's gospel depicts them; faithful, but otherwise pretty bad at their job.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He is mortal in the sense he can killed. Same as Jesus. Immortal and mortal at the same time. Incarnated, sacrificed and resurrected. Defeats death in the form of the Balrog. LOTR is not a total analogy but many of the characters are analogues. Unlike the other characters you mentioned he does actually give his life not just risk it.

Maiar are not mortal. They're immortal spirits. They take on bodies of their choosing, and those bodies can sustain harm, but they don't "die", they just take on new forms. Sauron is also a Maia, thus when he's "defeated" physically, his spirit remains and lurks and regains strength until it can take a new physical form.

There aren't a lot of direct correlations between Middle-earth and reality when it comes to spirits, death, the afterlife, etc. There's a lot of lurking on this plane or that plane, waiting to be reincarnated or ushered to another plane of existence, "fading", etc.

The Balrog doesn't represent "death". He's an ancient demon, and also a Maia.

From TolkienGateway.net (a great resource for LOTR lore!):
But the Balrog's whip lashed out, and grasped Gandalf by the knees, causing him to fall into the pit. While falling, Gandalf shouted "Fly, you fools" and vanished into the abyss.

Yet Gandalf did not die; he and the Balrog fought long in the bowels and deep places of Arda. After restless pursuit over the course of eight days, Gandalf and the beast finally came to the summit of the Endless Stair upon the peak of Celebdil, where he fought the demon for two days and nights. The Balrog had burst into flame anew when it exited the stairs; ice, wind, and smoke swirled about them as they duelled. Gandalf used his last measure of strength to slay the Balrog, throwing him down the mountainside in ruin. Gandalf's spirit then left his body, having sacrificed himself to save the Fellowship.

But Gandalf's spirit did not depart Middle-earth forever at this time. As the only one of the five Istari to stay true to his errand, Olórin/Gandalf was sent back to mortal lands by Eru, and he became Gandalf once again.

There really aren't any direct correlations, like I said, between Middle-earth and reality, or Middle-earth and Christianity (other than the opening passages of The Silmariliion, which read almost identically to the Creation story). I think Gandalf has some qualities in his tale that could be considered "Christ-like" but I don't think he matches that description more than Frodo does.

These are just my opinions!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I always thought the Hobbis were more like the Apostles, bumbling little guys that get in the way a lot, but still somehow managed to make something amazing happened. That's basically how Mark's gospel depicts them; faithful, but otherwise pretty bad at their job.

Agreed! :D

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟119,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is a great analogy, characters of Men such as Aragon would also qualify on the same grounds IMO. I don't think the physical and spiritual construct of Middle Earth lends itself to a Jewish to Christian sacrificial redemptive type figure. They didn't have a "chosen people" that we know of, so the story line is not really the same. We can draw similarities, but to try and make direct connections does not really work well.

That said, there are certainly religious overtones to the whole epic and Middle Earth world, just not a direct analogy for our world, I think.
It's not meant to be taken as a direct analogy - just speculation about Middle Earth and the peoples who live there. So to clarify I mean Middle Earth as Tolkien described it, not the LoTR or TH etc. So Middle Earth without the stories Tolkien gave us.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟817,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not meant to be taken as a direct analogy - just speculation about Middle Earth and the peoples who live there. So to clarify I mean Middle Earth as Tolkien described it, not the LoTR or TH etc. So Middle Earth without the stories Tolkien gave us.
AH, got it :)

Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm a little confused then, because "without the stories Tolkien gave us" doesn't match with you talking about Frodo in the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Despite any overt Christianity (religion?) in the LoTR etc one can perceive a Christian/religious subtext. Jesus was a servant from a humble background who practiced what he preached - namely self sacrifice for the common good. Hobbits were also humble people who served and loved each other: they did not normally have delusions of grandeur.

I mean Middle Earth as Tolkien described it, not the LoTR or TH etc. So Middle Earth without the stories Tolkien gave us.

There it is there.

He (Christ) would be the author of Middle Earth, therefore, Tolkien.

Tolkien would have to tell us which character embodies himself most.

*And all the characters are pieces of him...so...

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hey, dol, merry dol, my hearties!

Yeah, Tom played with the ring like it was out of a gumball machine...it had no sway over him whatsoever.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0