Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Simply put, I hate the political right. I absolutely despise them. I view them as barriers to societal progress, whose policies are immensely harmful.

When speaking to them, I am filled with spite and vitriol, and I am absolutely vicious. I don't associate with them at all in my personal life. I have cut out friends and family of right wing persuasions from my life.

Wars have been fought over less than our present differences, and I view current politics in the US as a non-violent civil war.

Thing is, I don't want to be like this. I don't want to be so angry, so spiteful, so vicious. It is decidedly against what Christ taught, and as a Christian, it makes me a hypocrite. How do I condemn and reject their beliefs while simultaneously loving them? How do I treat them with kindness and respect despite very passionately disagreeing with their politics?

This is my fault. I've let myself become like this. It was always an issue for me, but my hate just spiraled after Trump. I just feel so powerless, and I think that's where the anger is coming from. And it's not like I'm perfect. I've hurt people. I've sinned. I've done wrong.

Anyway, that's my spiel. I don't know if anyone has anything to add.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Simply put, I hate the political right. I absolutely despise them. I view them as barriers to societal progress, whose policies are immensely harmful.

When speaking to them, I am filled with spite and vitriol, and I am absolutely vicious. I don't associate with them at all in my personal life. I have cut out friends and family of right wing persuasions from my life.

Wars have been fought over less than our present differences, and I view current politics in the US as a non-violent civil war.

Thing is, I don't want to be like this. I don't want to be so angry, so spiteful, so vicious. It is decidedly against what Christ taught, and as a Christian, it makes me a hypocrite. How do I condemn and reject their beliefs while simultaneously loving them? How do I treat them with kindness and respect despite very passionately disagreeing with their politics?

This is my fault. I've let myself become like this. It was always an issue for me, but my hate just spiraled after Trump. I just feel so powerless, and I think that's where the anger is coming from. And it's not like I'm perfect. I've hurt people. I've sinned. I've done wrong.

Walk in Spirit, not in worldly politics. The politics of the world is not worthy of our passion. It produces anger and hatred.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don’t want racists, misogynists, anti-environmentalists ,homophobe, ignorant control freaks having control over me and my family and neighbors either There are too many on the Right and they’re vocal about it.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don’t want racists, misogynists, anti-environmentalists ,homophobe, ignorant control freaks having control over me and my family and neighbors either There are too many on the Right and they’re vocal about it.
If you hate them, they already control you.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is my fault. I've let myself become like this. It was always an issue for me, but my hate just spiraled after Trump. I just feel so powerless, and I think that's where the anger is coming from.

Just what is it that sparked such a hate towards Trump?

Can you honestly say, Hillary would have done a better job than Trump has, or that Biden will if by some miracle is Elected?

How would Hillary being in Office empower you?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do I condemn and reject their beliefs while simultaneously loving them?

I don't know if this will help, but it might. Make a list of, say ten, people you know who are right wing (family or friends). Pray for each one of them, at least once a day, for a month. Pray specifically that they would have all the good things in life that you would want for yourself, e.g. financial security, healthy relationships with others and God, meaning and purpose, bodily health, etc. Focus as you pray on what you are asking for and for whom you are asking it. Don't worry about how you feel. Feelings are part of the problem, so don't give them any weight. Just ask.

You have disassociated yourself from their humanity and the reality that they are also created in the image of God, as are you. By praying that they would have all you would want for yourself, you are loving them as you love yourself. Possibly, after a month of effort, you will begin to see yourself in them and them in you. May the grace of our Lord be with you. And, don't be too hard on yourself. The fact you are concerned enough to query means you care in spite of the anger and rage.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,763.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't look at any news (or the Political threads on CF) for 3 days. Instead use that time to pray and think on positive things. See if you feel a bit better. We are constantly bombarded with hatred from both sides.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,947,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Sm412, I found myself falling into the same kind of trap that you have found yourself in now, and I didn't like it one bit either, so I decided to let go of my tight grip on politics and embrace my faith instead, at least to a FAR greater degree than I had been anyway.

One of the biggest things to remember is that everyone deserves to be free to express their own opinion, even if it is the polar opposite of yours. Also, stop looking at the differences and try to find points of common ground. It will seem tough to do so at first, perhaps even impossible, but you'll find them and the Lord will help you do so :)

We are all in this thing called "life" together with one another, and we need to think of each other as other people, first and foremost, ~not~ as adversaries. Also, it's the folks who we do not agree with and/or even not get along with who we're called (commanded) to love/be patient and kind towards (because that's never a problem with people with like and agree with, yes?).

Here are some of the verses that I, as a Christian, try to always keep in the forefront of my mind, especially when I engage in conversation with another person who I disagree with about something. Hopefully they will be helpful to you too, especially if you allow the HS to lead you by them when times are tough and your temper is flaring.

Matthew 5
16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
4 Love is patient, love is kind........

James 1
19 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Praying for you brother!

God bless you!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - here are a couple more verses that I've found to be useful to live my Christian life by.

Psalms 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Isaiah 40
31 Those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟65,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We really do have to be careful what kind of spirit we energize when we engage in political debates. I think Christians should stick to addressing issues, not people or parties, since our goal should never be to hurt others. If we learn to recognize Satan's fingerprints in things, by the feelings they stir in us, we can close those doors to him.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟163,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh brightmoon, stop with the name calling. Step out into the sun. The man has an issue with hate, why exacerbate the issue with vituperative barbs. He has confessed and needs encouragement, prayers, not venom and truculence.
In Christ
Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟342,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
[ To participants in the conversation, note that this is WWMC. ]

For me, it depends on what exact elements of the "political right" we're talking about. If it's just political policy, then I appreciate that many political issues are complex balances of competing values, and I can usually respect someone who comes up with a different balance. But when we step into ethical issues, like racism or misogyny or despising poor people, then, yes, I confess I have trouble with my emotions as well. I think it is important to be able to name evil as evil, and not excuse it. We shouldn't go down the path of saying "He only hurt that person because <excuse here>, so it's not so bad." If the action or speech is evil, then it's evil. But, having acknowledged that, the challenge is to still see that person as a child of God.

@public hermit 's advice is very good. I have had some success with that kind of prayer. A little while back, I prayed for a particular person with some abhorrent ethical views that get manifested in political ways. I did what @public hermit suggested above: prayed for the person to have some good things that I would want for myself. I made myself be specific. I kept starting into prayers like "Make him turn from his error and see the truth", and made myself stop; that kind of prayer is just a weapon, and it's no good. Instead, I prayed that sometime during the next day, he would have an hour where he got to do something really fun and enjoyable. I prayed that sometime during the next few days, he would have some good quality time with one of his friends or family members. That kind of thing. By the end of it, I was able to see him as a little more human. I'm still appalled by his ethics, but I hope he did get to have that afternoon of fun with his family.

I have a couple of people in my life who are wonderful and kind in person, and who say awful things on Facebook. In their case, I just try not to read their Facebook feed.

Thanks for bringing this up, @Sm412 . We may as well be honest about these emotions that we wrestle with. It's not easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Well speaking as a conservative I often feel the same way about the other side, but with a few big exceptions.

1) I make a conscious effort to not disown liberal friends and relatives.

2) I also believe when strong emotional reactions like the OP arise in me, that is a sign that I have made politics too important, essentially an idol. Politics has some value, but it something that is subordinate to spiritual things that are eternal. I believe we actually spend too much time on politics and not enough time on things like prayer, bible study, and various kinds of ministry for the body of Christ.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is amazing how many christian (seem) to care more about satans kingdoms (governments of the world) than, helping people receive the free gift of God Eternal Life and adding to the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
It is amazing how many christian (seem) to care more about satans kingdoms (governments of the world) than, helping people receive the free gift of God Eternal Life and adding to the kingdom of God.

Excellent way to look at it. Perhaps my focus is too much on the traditions and philosophies of men and not on the word of God.

Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟23,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Hello @Sm412, I found myself falling into the same kind of trap that you have found yourself in now, and I didn't like it one bit either, so I decided to let go of my tight grip on politics and embrace my faith instead, at least to a FAR greater degree than I had been anyway.

One of the biggest things to remember is that everyone deserves to be free to express their own opinion, even if it is the polar opposite of yours. Also, stop looking at the differences and try to find points of common ground. It will seem tough to do so at first, perhaps even impossible, but you'll find them and the Lord will help you do so :)

We are all in this thing called "life" together with one another, and we need to think of each other as other people, first and foremost, ~not~ as adversaries. Also, it's the folks who we do not agree with and/or even not get along with who were are called (commanded) to love/be patient and kind towards (because that's never a problem with people with like and agree with, yes?).

Here are some of the verses that I, as a Christian, try to always keep in the forefront of my mind, especially when I engage in conversation with another person who I disagree with about something. Hopefully they will be helpful to you too, especially if you allow the HS to lead you by them when times are tough and your temper is flaring.

Matthew 5
16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
4 Love is patient, love is kind........

James 1
19 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Praying for you brother!

God bless you!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - here are a couple more verses that I've found to be useful to live my Christian life by.

Psalms 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Isaiah 40
31 Those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.

Thank you, this was fantastic!

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Excellent way to look at it. Perhaps my focus is too much on the traditions and philosophies of men and not on the word of God.

Thanks, that has helped me, i used to kind of follow men and their politics. But as i have grown older, i see most 90%+ is nothing but lies with a little truth thrown in for good measure.

As christian believers we are called to be good law abiding citizens, but nothing more than that. God gives satan leaders to rule his kingdoms with. And i have began to wonder would God give satan a christian believer to rule with, well some in America like to think God does, i am not so sure.

• Agree
Reactions: baryogenesis
Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Christians shouldn't really be involved in politics with all their heart, with all their soul, and with all their strength. It causes hate, division, and blindness. The politician becomes the god you worship. Christ wasn't involved in politics, only doing his Father's will. All authority and power on earth are all appointed by the Lord. He raises them up and makes them fall. All for a greater purpose. The vote you cast is the Lord's will. It's all in his full control. Whoever wins, is the Lord's will. If your choice didn't win, congratulate them, because the Lord has appointed them.

The Lord will even appoint a tyrant or a foolish leader to punish a nation. But, the Lord is not blind and will punish every unrighteous act a leader does. We all the know the fate of all unrighteous leaders when we read the Old Testament.

Christians should not really be divided, because whoever wins, that's the Lord's candidate whether we like it or not.

We can vent our frustration through protest or debate or whatever. But, that shouldn't consume you to the point that you'll hate even the members of your family or friends or fellow Christians because you vote for this and that.

For we are all puppets and there is a puppet master who rules over all and above all.

Let His will be done.

Upvote 0