• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicorn1

Aug 23, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I need help from a christian perspective. I've only been christian for about 5 months. My husband is going to school to be a minister. I have been in psych treatment since I was 17, now i'm 25. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder by my psychiatrist and bipolar disorder II by my psychologist. i no longer go to see any doctors and am only taking zoloft now because i can't get off of it without side effects. A couple of weeks ago i overdosed on my left over depakote. I was not hospitalized and just recovered by myself. I also ended up hitting my husband and actually hurting myself not him. I also started smoking again.
Anyways the dilema i have is...my husband thinks it's unnecessary for me to take my bipolar meds because they make me numb...therefore not allowing me to learn about life. He thinks it's a big let down if i start them again.
My moods are swinging, I'm extremely sensitive currently. I have big breakthroughs in letting the holy spirit help me. I can be content and unproblematic for a couple weeks at a time.
but i'm wondering if i'm going to get sidetracked again and end up trying to kill myself for the 4th time or so.....please advise me. i need another christian perspective. is this just life? thanks......

Artemisia

Aug 24, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hello Unicorn1,

I am a Christian iconographer with a manic-depressive illness. I am not taking any meds right now. I tried Serzone and Valproate but couldn't bear the side-effects. I have been taking homoeopathic meds for a while... they helped.

I stopped taking meds after I had Confession and Communion in my native Russian Orthodox church (first time for a few years; I am an active Christian but live in a non-Orthodox country). I felt instant cure of my symptoms. I was sure I am cured, however right now I am feeling the symptoms have returned... irritability and racing thouights.

I think you have to concider taking meds... manic depression has nothing to do with "life experience". Prayers help, Confession and Communion are invaluable help, but I don't think it is possible to manage just by this.

May God help you,

Artemisia

Upvote 0

Nazarite

Paid In Full (1st John 1:9)
Aug 22, 2004
LA (Lower Alabama)
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unicorn,

I am curious as to whether you are being treated by a secular psychologist. The psychiatrist who is providing you with medication is pretty inconsequential. I would encourage you to continue your work with the psychiatrist and take your medications as prescribed. However, if you are being treated with therapy by a secular psychologist for Borderline Personality D/O I'm afraid you might not get the results you're looking for. I wonder a couple of things: 1) It seems like you may have come from an abusive background (emotional, physical, or sexual), 2) I'm wondering if you were able to sufficiently bond with your biological parents. I would encourage you to speak with your therapist about whether exploring attachment issues would be helpful and whether using a "solution focused" direction might work as well. Hopefully you are also being seen along with your husband by your psychologist.

Eric

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.